LegacyGT.com

Problem with "Shudder" Under load

Hey Guys.... So I've done some reading trying to narrow down potential causes for this, but I can't come to any clear determinations :mad:

All of the sudden about a month ago, I've started to experience a slight "Shuddering" problem with the legacy and I don't even know where to START with what it could be.

Scenario: The car runs pretty much perfect under normal or light "Load" And when I say load, thats relevant to not only throttle, but incline.... Now the problem I'm seeing, is as I accelerate off of a line, almost 100% of the time going UP a decent terrain elevation (Overpasses, hills etc...) I will get perfect shifts out of 1st to 2nd, but coming OUT of 2nd Into 3rd, I am getting a "Shudder" throughout the vehicle??? No idea why this is happening, and I'm really concerned it's something wrong with the drivetrain/transmission/torque converter etc... Keep in mind, the only time I really get this shudder between 2nd and 3rd going up slight inclines, is when I'm accelerating with Mediocre throttle "Not slow and easy, but not flat out by any means" A decent consistent boost, coupled with terrain "Load"... Any feedback on this would be AWESOME! Because at this point, I'm a bit discouraged about what it could be.

As a side note: I've seen people make references to spark plugs etc... And while I guess anything is possible and there's MANY of you that know MUCH more then I ha... I guess I would just be shocked to know that something like that could cause such a vehicle shudder.

But I should note, that ironically the spark plugs WHERE just replaced with the OEM NGK's... in August.

Other mentions: The vehicle is more or less stock, no tuning, a K&N filter and 84,000 miles. The trans WAS replaced by the dealer back at 54,000 miles.

Also: When I DO engage the throttle relatively heavy or full out boost, in automatic mode, the shudder does not surface. Also when using the Shift tronic method of shifting, also do not feel the shudder take place....?

could be bad gas.

I had a similar issue with my torque converter where light throttle in 3rd/4th at 40-50mph it would shudder/vibrate, but when throttling up it would go away. This is the tc trying to lock. It ended up going away on it's own. I did a tranny drain/refill and all is well.

Hmmm.... Definitely appreciate the feedback... Yea this literally JUST started, and I've filled up MANY times since... I'm getting NO warning lights either... and like I said, my guy just replaced the plugs in August with new NGK plugs...

So your really thinking this could be a bad tune from the ecu? Just really surprised it's showing up at this point...?

I may just say SCREW IT and do a trans refill/flush and see how things go... I also just called the dealer, and they had like 12 things to say about it! lol... Ugh... Potential Sensor this, that, the other... This blows... This car was supposed to be my long term project and stay healthy... this situation is a bit discouraging if it's ANYTHING BUT a sensor of some sort!

I got a buddy cert mechanic buddy of mine, thats gonna hook it up to a diagnostic to see if it's throwing any codes... but knowing my luck, it's NEVER that simple! =/

It sounds like the torque converter having issues engaging. Before you drain and fill the trans make sure that the fluid level is correct. You might be low or high, which can cause numerous issues. Always make sure it is checked on a flat surface though. The dealer may have under filled the trans when it was replaced and now that the fluid is old you are seeing a problem. I could be completely wrong but its possible.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

my 07 does the same thing from time to time. I used subaru hp fluid only drained and refilled with 4 bottles helped still there sometimes. Pretty sure i have a intake leak though because the maf and map play a important part in controlling the transmission.

my 07 does the same thing from time to time. I used subaru hp fluid only drained and refilled with 4 bottles helped still there sometimes. Pretty sure i have a intake leak though because the maf and map play a important part in controlling the transmission.

good point, I don't think I even realized that when I had my problem. Perhaps those played a role, dirty maf sensor can cause similar issues...and can a post-maf air leak

Yea... gonna recheck trans levels... And have my buddy run the diagnostic for any potential codes, and then maybe try a reflash of the Ecu... This is pissing me off! Of all the nonsense I've dealt with, with the legacy the drivetrain has ALWAYS been rock solid! =/

:lol: yea... Ya know what my biggest concern is though... Is the longevity factor... I really have been making a relatively consistent effort at staying ahead of any and all maintenance to keep this car running for the long haul.

Hate to say it, but me and the fiance' are pondering upgrading her car to an SUV and getting the new Jeep Cherokee Limited... And I may end up trading the GT in on it :(

But if I do, I may pick up something simple like one of the new impreza's or something to replace her car for me... I've owned a LOT of cars... And I get REAL nervous when problems start popping up... I also think what makes me MOST nervous, is that it's taking place on a transmission thats already been replaced...

Here's a question for you guys...? Ignorance within this drive train I will fully admit openly... But with the trans... lets just SAY it's the Torque Converter... Is this something that can be serviced/replaced without tearing the trans apart and replacing everything?

Hey icecold i also had a similar problem for months. After reading post on this forum i spent quite a bit on fluids,tuning,plugs etc etc. It got so frustrating i would scream each time it happened. Anyway to make a long story short.my issue was a faulty coil pack. Apparently there was a minute tear on one of my coil packs .

Car runs like a dream now. Hope my feedback helps

Hey icecold i also had a similar problem for months. After reading post on this forum i spent quite a bit on fluids,tuning,plugs etc etc. It got so frustrating i would scream each time it happened. Anyway to make a long story short.my issue was a faulty coil pack. Apparently there was a minute tear on one of my coil packs .

Car runs like a dream now. Hope my feedback helps

Your kidding!? Man thats GREAT! Even if it isn't the problem (I hope it is ha) I'll make that a point of concern... I definitely appreciate the feedback!

I just talked to my buddy as well, and he said there's actually a service bulletin from SOA regarding the EXACT symptoms I'm experiencing, and one of the solutions that's supposed to rectify the problem is an update to the trans software/computer... Soooooo just something else to try, before breaking into the idea of a torque converter or anything else...

Updated last post..... And Shit, I may even just go pick up the hatch back WRX impreza in a few months if this turns out to be the converter... I don't know we'll see... Fixing the converter isn't the WORST THING in the world... Just gonna play it a day at a time for now...

You know what after reading this thread and posting. Decided to try and force my car to shudder mainly it would do it 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd giving it a tiny bit more throttle between the shift and it doesn't do it anymore lol. I think after beating the shit out of the car it cleared up? Also I remember when I pulled off my IC i found both clamps for the ic to tb were not tightened probably just slipped on the ic and didnt touch the clamps. Of course I did now properly seat the hose and tighten down the clamps which was most likely my shudder issue.

There was one time though going flat out 1st to 2nd gear shift it shuddered hard and didn't engage 2nd possibly slipping but after that tried ripping it multiple times and so far havent had any issues. I do try to change my transmission fluid as often as possible and i do drive the car around nice and easy after killing it to let the brakes, trans, turbo cool down a bit before parking almost always!

Debating stage 2 but i feel like I will definitely break something than again I may not kill it as much since it will have more low end and all.

Yes dumb rambling post ^^ lol

atm 5MT>5EAT but the 5EAT isn't really that bad. Drives much better than the 4EAT in my 94 turbo legacy.

Archived