LegacyGT.com

Driving lights burn out often

grizzlyfarmer2

I have gone through 3 sets of bulbs since June. Any idea what could cause it? Sylvania's each time. Once one goes out, the other does. Twice driver first, once passenger first. Could it be because the engine isn't grounded well enough? Other bad grounds? Any idea? Or should I stop buying Sylvanias? Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks for the help.

Check your connectors. I had a problem with my passenger side going out often, found out the connector to the bulb was burnt. Replaced the connector with a ceramic one and haven't had one burn out in over 3 years.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I would think poor quality bulbs myself. I can't see how a bad connector can cause premature failure unless its intermittent and "flashing" the bulb. I think you'd notice this.

In my experience you can no longer assume if the product has an old familiar name that its still of good quality. I recently bought two 4 packs of 60W bulbs branded General Electric and I kid you not, seven of them either burnt out when installed or within 24 hours.

I prefer the outputs of halogen bulbs even though most HIDs are brighter. HIDs seem like they just "paint" everything the same color while halogens tend to illuminate objects with better contrast(IMO, makes it easier to judge distance at night and help signs, objects, etc. pop out from the background).

I'm using Osram Ralleye bulbs also and worked well enough for me to just sell my TRS HID kit.

Edit: but yes, disabling the DRLs helps a lot. IIRC, They moved the DRLs from the lowbeam to the highbeam on later models to address bulb life.

Whoever designed the electrical system of the 4th gen never equlized the headlight systems. For some reason 1 headlight gets more power than the other. Really a simple fix is to go out and get a plug and play HID kit. You can get an el cheapo one if you want or spend some money and get a morimoto one and you'll never have this problem again

Some simple rules for long life headlamps:

Don't use Sylvania bulbs. You can get quality alternatives (Philips) on Amazon inexpensive and shipped free.

Wear nitrile gloves and avoid touching the glass of the bulbs when installing.

Set the handbrake when starting the car. This prevents the bulbs from being "on" and taking a surge.

Only applies to DRLs. With the headlights in the 'ON' position they will remain on even with the handbrake applied.

Sorry. I figured most of us turn off the headlamp switch at the end of the drive. Just for clarification the DRL and headlamp is the same bulb (at least it is on my 2005).

Archived