LegacyGT.com

Emisions code, losing oil, dies after filling gas tank

I need help fixing my girlfriends Legacy! Its an 05, not the gt. It has 142k miles. I always change the oil before it gets dark regardless of how many miles. I like the oil to come back out the way it went in so I do a lot of oil changes. Today I went to check the dipstick and see how the oil looked and it came out dry, I ended up adding 3 quarts of oil to get it to read full again. She has a check engine light for the gas cap being off, we have replaced the gas cap and that didnt fix it and the local subaru dealer said they dont know what else to do. Theyre not helpful. But when she fills her car with gas (she never fills it passed when the pump stops) then her car has a really hard time starting and you have to give it a lot of the gas pedal. Followed by the car dieing if you stop hitting the gas. So you kinda have to pop it into drive while revving it a little bit. This only happens when the car is filled with gas. Sometimes if the car is idleing in a parking lot for some time it will slowly get lower and lower rpms and eventually just shut off. Usually when its hot out. The other issue that may or may not be related is her cruise does not work. When the check engine light is shut off, the cruise will jump forward and backward revving it up and down slightly. Just enough to be annoying light a little twitch, and then eventually the cruise light starts flashing and doesnt work at all I assume it just shuts itself out do to the malfunction. Normally I can figure stuff out but this has me confused. I'm more of a dirtbike person then a car person and cars are way more conplicated. Any help is much appreciated!

That filling it with gas and hard starting has been talked about before.

These cars use oil. you need to check the oil and top it off.

Have you had the front wheel bearings changed ? I had to use OEM's or I'd get a surging CC and then CC stopped working.

PM "m sprank" about the gas filling problem, and may be BAC5.2, those guy's are real good with these cars.

Welcome to the forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That filling it with gas and hard starting has been talked about before.

These cars use oil. you need to check the oil and top it off.

Have you had the front wheel bearings changed ? I had to use OEM's or I'd get a surging CC and then CC stopped working.

PM "m sprank" about the gas filling problem, and may be BAC5.2, those guy's are real good with these cars.

Welcome to the forum.

But isnt 3 quarts a lot? We will be checking the oil often now thats for sure.

The previous owner said the car had a code for a wheel bearing so he replaced it himself. So maybe I should replace it again with an OEM one. He wasnt the best at this stuff!

Ill try and PM them for sure!

Thanks!

There is no such thing as a code for a wheel bearing.

Are you SURE she doesn't top off the tank when filling it up? Because that sounds like an evap canister full of fuel to me.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

But isnt 3 quarts a lot? We will be checking the oil often now thats for sure.

The previous owner said the car had a code for a wheel bearing so he replaced it himself. So maybe I should replace it again with an OEM one. He wasnt the best at this stuff!

Ill try and PM them for sure!

Thanks!

3 quarts - that depends on how long you have been driving if it's a lot or not, but it's certainly not nice to the engine since it contains just a little over 4...

Just make a habit of checking the oil level at every tank fill. And have a spare quart in the car to fill up with.

453747.png

There is no such thing as a code for a wheel bearing.

Are you SURE she doesn't top off the tank when filling it up? Because that sounds like an evap canister full of fuel to me.

Yep, I watch her do it to be sure ha. The previous owner was a bimbo and her dad replaced the evap can he said. He also claimed that when he took it to subaru and had it hooked up to the diagnostic machine it claimed their was a reading for a bad front left wheel bearing. Not a check engine code like it sounded like I meant earlier. But its just what he said not me, he claimed there was a code type thing and thats why he replaced it. With what brand I have no idea... Hes the type who shouldnt do his own work cause he just does it without finding out what hes doing.

There is no code, CEL or otherwise, that would indicate a bad wheel bearing.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived