LegacyGT.com

Fuel issue.

My 05 LGT did the same thing about a year ago. We came home after a week vacation and left the GT home. Started right up and I drove it until it needed fuel. Would not take any gas. Had a shop go through the vents and everything. Did not find anything out of the ordinary. To this day, it will not take fuel unless you fill it veeerrrry slowly. For some reason, it will not vent. Was told by a Subaru tech it could be the vent is blocked by a spider web. The vent tube goes from the top of the tank to the evap can and then vents to the atmosphere. I have not been able to find anything. The only thing left is to replace the tank. At $400+ for the tank and the many hours to change it, I continue to fill slowly. There is a vent in the tank that opens when the pressure in the tank increases from fuel going in. Possibly this vent is stuck closed. No codes or anything unusual other than not fueling easily. If you find something, please let me know. I may give the vent system another look when our weather cools off. From what I was told, the entire rear axle/suspension must be removed to get to the tank. If anyone out there has more ideas, please help us out!

I changes the shut valve with no success. None of the techs I talked to after that said it would be that valve. I found vent line diagrams and it seemed possible. It is the only valve that is completely mechanical with no electrical connection. May help you out, didn't work in my situation. Keep us informed.

yes it is definitely vapor lock. I get lucky ever couple of fill ups. but usually I start to pump even very slowly and it does not let me fill. so I have a screwdriver in the trunk for backup and have to stick it in the filler neck and wait for the air to come out.

i think there is a ball down a ways to prevent gas from spilling out if it was upside down.

if by chance there is a pressure build up the ball can be held in the up position.

the tank is suposto be kept at a slight vacuum from the "purge solonoid" next to the intake manifold. this vaccume would suck the ball down and let gas in the car.

do you have a check engine light on? if so check the codes it may be evaporative emissions issue.

other than that try a blunt wire "not sharp" and see if you can get the ball to move. the wire would have to be about 3 feet long . at least shove it down and try to put some gas in at the same time.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived