LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

I was digging around the BITOG forums looking for an alternative to the black Tokyo Roki oil filters spec'd for our cars - which are no longer available since it's been superseded by the new cheaper Honeywell blue ones.

I found this post: http://bit.ly/cPXSSR ... claims that the 09+ RX-8 filter (PN# N3R1-14-302) is a Tokyo Roki that is the same diameter and threading as the Subaru filter except it's physically longer.

And most importantly the relief valve is set to 20-26 psi, which is the same as Subaru. I know of you guys use Napa Gold, Wix or Purolators, but my understanding is that their relief valves are set to a lower psi.

Anyone run these on their car or have any knowledge about this?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ lol

I wonder if the RX8 filter is the same as the Honda Civic SI filter I use on my LGT. Same diameter as the Suby filter but longer.

I use a Bosch filter because they're cheap and available at Autozone.

Remember to consider the additional oil capacity of a larger filter.

I'd HAPPILY use a larger filter on my wifes N/A Impreza. I'm sick as hell of burning my hands on the exhaust manifold as I reach into the depths of darkness to get it out.

Anyone care to run the RX-8 filter, then cut it open and see how it looks?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Left to right are Suby blue, Mobil 1, and our favorite, PurOne Purolator.

Notice the size of the filter media, that M1 is a joke. Also notice the inlet holes around the base of the filters. The Subaru has three to four times the opening area to allow flow. We all know these engines need alot of flow. The thickness of the canister is also surprising. PureOne was the thinest, then the Subaru and the M1 was the thickest.

I also opened a Napa Gold spin flow, and a "Mighty" brand filter. The Subaru filter seemed equal or better quality than any I have opened up, and has the ability to flow more oil judging by the base openings and media size. Also note the relief spring in the subaru filter was much, much softer than ANY of the filters I opened. In fact, the Purolator has some type of disk relief valve that looks questionable. These are just some samples of filters I have taken apart. I had a fram and the Subaru side by side and there was no resemblence what so ever, and the fram had a rediculously tight relief spring, along with the thinnest can I have ever tested.

The third thumb nail is the relief valve on the Purolator. I have yet to take that apart to see how it works.

259808049_filters005.thumb.jpg.7abc374d6a21a0b80edd205bcddd305c.jpg

791768634_filters009.thumb.jpg.842ef3e9e307e7353a09e45ac35f88bf.jpg

1219621732_filters008.thumb.jpg.ca35ef7ec4d3e0a16a7dbe579f9538d4.jpg

I recomend going on the FBeans website and ordering the six pack filter package for 35.00 bucks. There is nothing wrong with the blue filter in my so-so analysis and in my profesional opinion.

I wish someone had an old black filter they could send me to compare with the new blue one.

I wish someone had an old black filter they could send me to compare with the new blue one.

Not the same as having it person, but here are pics from the above thread:

http://webfors.com/of_pics/of_pic%20028%20%28Large%29.jpg

http://webfors.com/of_pics/of_pic%20029%20%28Large%29.jpg

everyone in the thread was most impressed with it.

:shrug:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

When only JDM will do.....pics.

Cut them both open!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cut them both open!

Don't really see a need to. Looking in with a good flashlight,the filter media looks the same for both filters. Tightly packed pleats and the relief valve looks the same. Coming from the same manufacturer they appear to be the same filter, only difference being Mazda spec'd a bit more capacity.

Don't really see a need to. Looking in with a good flashlight,the filter media looks the same for both filters. Tightly packed pleats and the relief valve looks the same. Coming from the same manufacturer they appear to be the same filter, only difference being Mazda spec'd a bit more capacity.

So does the filter media look the same, or is it longer to fill the cavity?

I'll probably go ahead and start using the Mazda filters on our cars.

funny I have both a LGT and a RX8, That would be sweet if I only have to have one filter on hand! I am going to have to look and see if the 2004 rx8 filter is the same as the 09. Let me know if it works.

I have not run the Mazda filter yet. Should not be any different from Subaru filter with regards to manifold clearance. If anything i am running a Perrin ELH,the Mazda's longer canister should give me more filter to grab when doing changes.

hey found out my mazda and the 09 are the same threads and relief valve just the 09 is bigger. so maybe one filter fits all?

edit just found out that the part number is the EXACT same for my LGT and my RX8!!!!!!!!!! MADE MY DAY!!!( by k&N website)

funny I have both a LGT and a RX8, That would be sweet if I only have to have one filter on hand! I am going to have to look and see if the 2004 rx8 filter is the same as the 09. Let me know if it works.

N3R1-14-302 is for 09+ RX8

B6Y1-14-302 is the correct filter for your 04

B6Y1 is a shorter filter,used in RX7's / RX8's up to 08 / Protege / Miata up to 05 / Mazda 2

Archived