LegacyGT.com

Abs light on after bearing swap ---help

a93x

Hi so I replaced the rear wheel bearing around 2 weeks ago and ever since my abs light has been on and no abs active.

My mechanic and I ruled out a faulty abs sensor because we replaced it with a new one already. We've inspected it mult times and tried new sensors, reinstalling everything including wheel bearing assembly, reset codes everything.

Can anyone help?? What else can be done we both have no idea why it's doing this

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

I guess you missed all the threads about wheel bearings and CEL, ABS lights.

Replace the wheel bearing/Hub assembly with a OEM unit.

I have Moog Hubs on both rears and everything is fine. I had to use OEM on the fronts or else I get a ABS light.

Simple fix.

What brand rear hub do you use ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I guess you missed all the threads about wheel bearings and CEL, ABS lights.

Replace the wheel bearing/Hub assembly with a OEM unit.

I have Moog Hubs on both rears and everything is fine. I had to use OEM on the fronts or else I get a ABS light.

Simple fix.

What brand rear hub do you use ?

Oe replacements on the rears. Atleast it said oe on jcwhitney.com where I ordered it. No CEL, just abs light

Even though site claimed it was a oe replacement it was enough off calibration to not pick up abs sensor signal. Word of advice, get it direct from Subaru or pay for very expensive bills

Yeah man I wish I would have done that. I thought it would be nice to save 40-50$ by getting it online and now I'm in the whole even more. I'm pretty pissed. Oh we'll not gonna make that mistake again.

• 2 weeks later...
Im glad I went with a shop that warrantied my rear wheel bearing. First one same thing happen to me. The abs and cruise control lights were on. Turns out it what a faulty one and even had wheel play. Had it replaced immediately, then the second one starting being noisy so I had it replaced again under warranty. Both had 18k mile warranty.

i would never trust anything that says OE that doesnt come across a subaru parts counter. usually when they state its OE they are just saying its OE quality which is never the case.

suprisingly the bearing arent that expensive through a dealer.

Yeah I've learned this lesson the long expensive way lol. Def not going to order my own parts anymore. What a hassle this seemingly easy repair turned in to.

Yea gotta love it I know my gf's brother has a Sebring and it threw a code for a cam sensor. I told them to buy oem. They didn't listen and bought it at napa. Put it on. Threw same code. Again told them oem. Again they had napa exchange it for another new cam sensor. Again I installed it. Threw the same code. Finally they returned it bought the oem sensor and holy s*** look at that the light went out.

If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea OEM wheel bearings were such a big deal...

Altho my $80 beck/arnley front wheel bearing seems fine 1k miles later, no abs or cruise issues, at least not yet. Likely will go with a Moog bearing if/when I need another one.

If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea OEM wheel bearings were such a big deal...

Altho my $80 beck/arnley front wheel bearing seems fine 1k miles later, no abs or cruise issues, at least not yet. Likely will go with a Moog bearing if/when I need another one.

yeah my mechanic didnt think it would be a problem either and hes been building these cars for a while.

If you paid $80 for an aftermarket I would just go with oem. They are only like $20 more. If that.

$129 is what I paid for the correct part.

knock off was $80 not includ. shipping.

• 4 months later...
Bringing this back.... I heard about the issues with aftermarket hubs but opted for the Moog anyways. It was $85 compared to $145 from the dealer (both wholesale prices). Everything is fine until I drive it for a few minutes above 40 mph, then the abs light comes on. I did adjust the e-brake up a few clicks, perhaps a little too much? Tried to adjust the other side, but the way i had the lift set, I could not get on the caliper bracket bolts straight so I left the other side the way it was for the time being. Has anyone set the abs light for over-adjusting the e-brake shoes?

Bringing this back.... I heard about the issues with aftermarket hubs but opted for the Moog anyways. It was $85 compared to $145 from the dealer (both wholesale prices). Everything is fine until I drive it for a few minutes above 40 mph, then the abs light comes on. I did adjust the e-brake up a few clicks, perhaps a little too much? Tried to adjust the other side, but the way i had the lift set, I could not get on the caliper bracket bolts straight so I left the other side the way it was for the time being. Has anyone set the abs light for over-adjusting the e-brake shoes?

Only use oem

No an abs light will not set due to over adjusted ebrakes. You would literally have to be dragging your rear wheels.

I'm guessing you replaced a rear sensor. You may wan to make sure you did not brake or damage the rear sensor. I have 2 moog rear wheel bearings on my car. Both with zero issue. Moog is well trusted aftermarket co.

I purchases a front wheel bearing assemble two days ago from Detroit Axel online, same problem... well sort of. The abs has not set a fault yet.. but the cruise acts crazy. As a formal tech myself, i knew what it was and reading here it confirms it. Man, i just wished i had read up here before buying this off brand crap. I should have known better. I am returning this and buying either a BECK/ARNLEY or an OEM. Beck does make good parts very close to OEM specs too.

Correction just bought a Timken, using Amazon prime cost was a very cheap $81 shipped! They are supposed to be close to OEM quality, reading other post on LGT (here) they seem very sound and good quality too. i will report back on the CC function. Also i read that SKF is supposed to be a very good bearing maker and is an OEM manufacture for Subaru's bearings. They are also painted black on the end of the hub just like the Subaru ones are. So, those are two other options if you cant get a OEM one from Subaru.

I did NOT replace the abs sensor. I thought about taking it out before I installed the new hub, but I was careful about it. Its very strange because it only sets the abs light every now and then. I have not had a chance to hook our scan tool up to it to see what code(s) it pulls. I did not replace the axle nut, but I did notice the torque setting (171 ft. lbs.) is less than whatever it was torqued to before.

Archived