LegacyGT.com

2.2 intermittent rough idle

97 legacy postal has intermittent rough idle /surge switched engine to another postal car. Switched intake and maf. Now it's not intermittent. Seem to be loading up on fuel. Unplugged O2s because they flatlined at zero. mass air flow seem low on the scanner and map is low koeo. Map is about 11in hg again idle. I've done a bunch of engine swaps on the postal cars all 2.2s.

Also has has timing belt and stuff.

I have a scanner so if anyone can help and wants some specific data pid Ill try to get it

Have to have it back on the road quick

Thanks

It will start and idle perfect for about 30 secs the starts to load up. Doesn't feel like a misfire.

Started it several times all thru warming it up and stayed the same. Maf isn't going very high at 2500 only showing about 22. Map is 27.7 koeo which is a little low for here. Front O2 is holding at 300 back O2 is 0. Starts hard part of the time.

I don't have my scan tool right now but once I get ahold of it I'll look at my values for comparison. Dumb question but did you try cleaning the MAF and all of the electrical connections in question? I'd start with that and see if anything changes. Also how many miles are on the car?

Did not have the stuff to clean the maf. I replaced the plugs again and drove it to clean out the cats. Seems to run good down the road but got back and still had a surage and then it threw all four cylinders misfire codes. Going to get new O2 sensors and a new fuel filter short term trim looks good but long term is high down the road back to normal coasting high at idle. Not sureally how much to trust that with the O2s bad

I really doubt its the fuel filter, it sounds to me like a poor fuel/air ratio. For reference, you usually get 100-120k out of O2 sensors and 200k out of cats. And only use MAF cleaner for that, any other cleaner risks damaging it. If you suspect the fuel filter, an easy test is remove it, and let the fuel pour out of the inlet, if it's anything but clear then that's not great, and then blow through the filter once most of the fuel is out of it. Blowing through it shouldn't be that difficult but you'll know when it's clogged.

As far as mileage goes, that's a good bit but I'm guessing you won't be able to find out if/when some of the sensors were replaced.

Replace the CTS/temp sensor. PITA to get to but @ least it's a cheap part.

Note there is the gauge sensor w/a singel wire, and the temp sensor w/a connector that can be stubborn...replace temp.

Youtube for install info.

May not throw a code or even test bad, but they are still 'bad'.

Archived