LegacyGT.com

Is this normal? Idle and Acceleration

I have taken a video of my car idling at start up and then at acceleration because I am not sure that it is running properly because:

1. The fuel/air ratio is too low ~7.4 at acceleration

2. There is a loud "rattling" coming from the area near the catless downpipe/EWG at 3000+ RPMs, sounds like it is under passenger side glovebox/floor.

I don't have any experience with turbo vehicles and I just bought this car, it has:

IPR TMIC

Headers

Catless DP

Grimspeed EWG

Oilcooler

Let me know what you think or if I need to take different photos/videos, thanks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5U334WijZk]2005 Subaru Legacy GT Start up Idle & Acceleration - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zagbKyOOIY]2005 Legacy GT Idle after Warm in Engine Bay - YouTube[/ame]

Oh dear...my first thought is what turbo...

You better pull the down pipe and check for shaft play.

Did you buy it from a member here ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounded that way since I got it last week. Had the exhaust shop check out the car this morning, no exhaust leak. They said they think a metal piece behind the downpipe, the heat shield?, is rubbing the joint on the axle and they can bend the piece back so that it doesn't rub.

I guess I will try that.

When my shop put the Perrin dp on my car it was for a manual tranny and I have a 5eat. The result was the pipe touched the firewall and sounded identical to yours.

I would bet your dp is rubbing your frame somewhere and transmitting all the sound into the cabin.

Mine went almost as quiet as stock when they put a properly fitting invidia dp on.

Oh and btw, your turbo could explode and kill all furry animals within a 100 meter radius.

Went to exhaust shop this morning, they bent the EWG tube away from the where it was rubbing against the axle, but the noise is still there...It doesn't seem boost dependent (that's good , right?), just as soon as I hit 3000 RPMs the noise comes back, stab the throttle it makes a noise, let off the throttle noise stops.

Maybe the problem is that the DP is too large for the space in the engine bay. (Attached is a picture). You can see the where the wastegate tube was rubbing the joint, its the black line on the green.

Underneath+LGT.jpg

Got my VAGCOM cable in the mail so hopefully I can get my old netbook working and log some miles this weekend.

I am really at a lose as to what the problem is, maybe an UP leak/gasket issue?

You may want to call the place and see if you can talk to the mechanic that worked on your car, ask him if he thought to check for shaft play.

It's something that should be done when the turbo is off.

I assume you have a catless up pipe already ?

You should also clean the MAF sensor too before a tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The mechanic is a guy in my family who works on cars in the evenings. He didn't mention to me anything about the shaft play so I imagine he didn't look at the turbo.

Yes, I have a catless DP. I will put the MAF cleaning on my to do list before I get tuned.

Thanks!

The mechanic is a guy in my family who works on cars in the evenings. He didn't mention to me anything about the shaft play so I imagine he didn't look at the turbo.

Yes, I have a catless DP. I will put the MAF cleaning on my to do list before I get tuned.

Thanks!

I asked about a catless up pipe ?

How far are you away from new spark plugs ? they are do every 60,000 miles.

I'm sure you'll change the oil, and air filter. May be even run a can of injactor cleaner in the gas tank.

I asked about a catless up pipe ?

How far are you away from new spark plugs ? they are do every 60,000 miles.

I'm sure you'll change the oil, and air filter. May be even run a can of injactor cleaner in the gas tank.

I believe the UP is the stock one (read your message wrong), I am going to change the oil, I was going to ask about the spark plugs when I go to agile tomorrow, my car has 90K on it.

And I bought some injector cleaner the other day in preparation for my tune as well.

Other than that I think I will be good to go.

Went to Agile today, found out the my turbo housing is leaking a slight amount of oil so it looks like I am going to need to think about replacement options...

Other than that my car is looking good for 90K miles.

Archived