LegacyGT.com

Rotor and caliper do not line up right.

Nepkire

Hello I have an issue I am unsure what is causing the problem. fyi I am a newbie to working on cars as this is the first carI have ever done any work on.

My rotor was grinding on the caliper mount as the initial problem. I needed to turn the rotor and buy a new caliper (the old one was covered in rust and the pins did not move well. After I had the rotor turned I tried to put it back together with the new caliper and ran into this problem.

One picture is the caliper mount and rotor, the caliper mount's bolts have not been tightened all the way and could not without damaging the rotor.

In the other photo I took the rotor off and tightened the bolts on the caliper mount all the way to show how it sits.

I have no clue why this is so far off.

484842567_photo3.thumb.jpg.d36620a396e9b118fcfbffca506f18d2.jpg

107895869_photo2.thumb.jpg.8236429b28ea4d68c59f4d34d6966bf4.jpg

In the first picture, the rotor definitely looks like it might be on the hub crooked, it appears to be tilting forward more towards the top of the image. Make sure the brake rotor is fully seated on the hub.

When you're looking at the rotor, make sure the part of the hub I circled in red below is sticking out an even amount.

I'd also be careful with reattaching the brake line to the new caliper. I've never installed a new caliper, but I'd be worried about the possibility of introducing air into the brake line.

brake.thumb.jpg.627deee036c621c9e48257345cb9f48c.jpg

Definitely make sure the rotor is flat against the hub. You can always use one/two lug nuts to make it flat against it. Hand tight is good enough.

That really does look off. Did they give you the right brake caliper and bracket?

I did try to use a nut to tighten the rotor all the way back onto the hub and then I wasn't able to tighten the caliper bolts on all the way, about half way tightened and the rotor was against the caliper mount. It is the correct caliper, the model number on it was the same as the one I had taken off earlier.

Is this a rebuilt caliper? I've had some that had odd (non-oem perhaps) caliper mounting brackets that were poorly made, resulting in the caliper being out of position. Do you still have the original bracket to try?

Is this a rebuilt caliper? I've had some that had odd (non-oem perhaps) caliper mounting brackets that were poorly made, resulting in the caliper being out of position. Do you still have the original bracket to try?

I already returned it for the deposit. I will compare to the caliper on the other side.

This is the front right side. And the caliper mounts side by side to compare.

**I added the very first photo I took after parking the car. This picture has the original caliper on it and the rotor before it was turned.

996332737_photo1.thumb.jpg.0704bde49fea26fe6050ecbf86241c70.jpg

716227111_photo2.thumb.jpg.d7f224dbd36b04e238e10bf26d5ee6f8.jpg

975684850_photo3.thumb.jpg.f0ba982ba1801fe9b8865aba8e7d1f0b.jpg

photo.thumb.jpg.ae0b77732f0f07801311cba6a8e6401d.jpg

Well, I'm out of ideas. Not sure what is up. Is the hub really off that much in the fourth picture? That really looks like a big gap between the rotor and the dust guard.

Lastly, IMO, don't return deposit parts until you get the new part installed. No point in doing that in case you have to get a refund because the part is wrong, since the shop will probably no longer have your old part.

Do you have the washers on the caliper mount bolts ? the picture in the first post looks like they are not there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived