LegacyGT.com

Items Needed for Replacing Stock Turbo

I need to replace my VF46 that has failed. I plan on ordering the turbo in the next few days from you guys. The car is a 2008 LGT sitting at about 56k right now. What other items do I need to replace the dead turbo?

I know the unit comes with the studs installed, coolant and oil feed and return line but what else will I need? I have the old turbo out and the exhaust gaskets seem decent but maybe I should replace too?

Also, I have heard from some that the my08 does have a banjo bolt/filter and should be replaced and others have comment that it doesn't. I'm sure you guys have done these before so some clarification/ guidance would be great! Tracing the feed oil line back under the turbo air inlet tube may be the location I would assume if one does exist. Kind of hoping not as that spot seems like a real pita to get a wrench on.

Also if I recall correctly, I believe you may have a coupon or something for LGT members. Care to share too? :icon_bigg

Much appreciated

If replacing an OEM turbo (VF40/46) with the same, you will need the turbo and one of these:

for 05-06 LGT

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-982/Subaru-Legacy-GT-Turbo/Detail

or these for 07-09 LGT

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-1210/Subaru-08-pls--WRX--fdsh-/Detail

This will contain all the necessary gaskets/hardware, as well as being required by Subaru to be purchased on the same invoice as the Turbo in order for the OEM warranty to be honored on the Turbo.

Same thing applies if buying a VF-52. But then you need a tune too.

07-09 Banjo bolt with filter is under the manifold. It is there. It will have a filter unless someone removed it already. The above "kit" will contain a new banjo bolt (with filter).

5% off promo code is "LGT". But, it can not be combined with the free shipping on orders over $299 offer. 1 discount of the other.

Just placed an order for the VF46, install kit. Keeping the car stock as I plan to sell it shortly down the road. I took the 5% discount as it saved a little more coin for me. Thanks for offering this to LGT members.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I got my order today. Looks like I'll be doing some work this holiday weekend. On a side note, any idea what the paper says that is in Japanese that is packaged with the turbo??

I just want to make sure I don't miss anything during re-installation!

I tried copying it from a PDF into Google translate but it's like listening to a drunk guy try to tell you how to install a turbo. Sort of funny I guess....

From Google Translate:

"Precautions for replacement turbocharger"

When replacing the turbo, please note the following matters

To connect to a union bolt. Turbo

Inspection. Outlet and inlet pipe

I may have hurt the flow of oil between the adhesion of carbon inside, wash off the coast,

I hope the replacement of it with a new 'or to do or air blowing.

Turbo for many years to come, in order to use it comfortably, 乍業 this (is, you two can determine, in particular de die.

Before you install the 2. Data} volume, please conduct the following.

Of the exit. Entrance of oil (1) Turbo

Rute}} Please remove the death group.

To, /

Dzu Iri-mura

I have a P is a formal "

Eleven, under an}

A pair a host server

Is "one hundred twenty-one / bow

A city manager a look

Ratio is about Maruichi Ichinohe, river, μMMM-3 a bit over a lv tl a "

Of skin blow μ

Inch application of

Boji small f

An application alumni

Tae Sun art

Noise in the U

Oil inlet

Turbo oil (3) engine oil

Please to inject a small amount from the setting sun.

Abnormality is the oil outlet was attached} volume than (4) liZ

Child "If you have A Case Report, the oil | Ko 1f human

I kind of get the beginning I believe it's talking about replacing the banjo bolt and if you don't it could starve the turbo due to obstruction. But after that it's all Japanese to me :D

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on replacing the turbo and the walk-through helps somewhat but does not seem to be as complete as what I need. The walk-through does not replace the complete oil feed line.

I was told by others for the turbo warranty from Subaru, only the banjo bolt with filter needs to replace. If so I'm not sure why I had to buy this complete install kit for an extra $175. I'm fighting to replace the oil feed line. From what I can see on the forums nobody is replacing the oil feed line when doing the turbo exchange. Most seem to just replace the banjo bolt or just remove the filter completely. I'm a little lost how to get this line replace and can't seem to find any information.

Need some guidance on how to get the oil feed line out. I have it unbolted at the back and front of the head and support brackets removed. It's starting to seem the only way that may be possible to get this oil line out may be to remove the intake manifold. I'm hoping not as I really don't want to go down that road. :confused:

Subaru requires the complete install kit to be on the same invoice as the turbo for warranty purposes. No where does it say it has to be installed, lol. You would have to remove the manifold to pull that off. Subaru can not prove the oil line was changed with install, so as long as it is on the invoice you are technically covered.

When I originally wrote this, there were no requirements for aftermarket lines (yet). Also, I was not replacing with an OEM turbo (so no warranty concerns).

If it were me and the manifold was not already off, I would simply replace the screened banjo bolt (and crush washers) and leave the screen intact. Piping should be clear. If you already have the bolts out, you could rig up an air line to blow out the pipe and verify it is clear.

Ah, I see! Yeah I actually blew the line out with my compressor and re-installed as you were recommending. Not going down the road of manifold removal!!

I had to go to the dealer and buy 2 more brass washers. My packaged included 8 small crush washers and only two large. From what I can tell from taking apart there should be 4 larger washer/gaskets. 2 for the ACVS and 2 for the Banjo. All 4 that came off during removal were the larger size. I assume all the smaller ones that were included are for the piping on turbo which is already installed so it seems I won't need all the small ones included with the kit either.

Oh well at least I have the warranty option if I keep the car. Time to finish getting this thing together

• 9 months later...

Archived