LegacyGT.com

05 Lego gt mt swap Ecu flash to mt from 5eat

So I have a 05 Lego gt. The auto trans has 230k, I want manual tranny bad cuz I just rebuilt motor. After some research everyone says it's cheaper to buy a Mt Lego gt this is false as hell unless you have no experience especially if you live in a rust state like I do. Basically I'm wondering if my ecu can flashed or programed by the dealer to be manual. So far for wiring what I've gathered it's all the same as any other mt swap I've done in Subarus in the past. All the info I find is old as dirt no help.

Older ecus had a at/mt identifier pin that you grounded for mt. According to Subaru my ecu has at/Mt identifier pin b134 pin 34 but it says 0v for both at and Mt which is why I'm thinking has to be programed.

Reverse switch from Mt gets wired into car side of inhibitor switch plug w neutral switch.

Clutch switch gets wired to ecu and ignition so car only starts when pedal is down. (Sends signal to starter)

Park switch gets grounded so the steering wheel unlocks I think, can't remember off the top of my head. Both wires Might just get spliced together

And for the people who say you cant just bolt a Mt in the car, maybe I'm lucky but my car has black plugs in the holes for trans mount, they even have threads.

Cruise control is the pain n I prolly won't mess w it I could care less if it works or not. Wasn't worth the hassle in the past.

The ecu dilemma is what's stopping me right now. I have all the parts just laying around.

Thanks in advance for info

Hammer down did 5mt to 6mt. No shaygt in any searches. Im sure I'll figure it out eventually. I got time still salty grime on the roads and the motor is in my living room waiting on a couple valves to come back that got tipped

I don't think anyone's said that physically things won't bolt up - AFAIK, the AT downpipe works for both AT and MT (maybe one less bolt matches up or something). Most people find that the ECU reflash is the problem..

I don't think anyone's said that physically things won't bolt up - AFAIK, the AT downpipe works for both AT and MT (maybe one less bolt matches up or something). Most people find that the ECU reflash is the problem..

The ECU flash is the easy part, change the ID pin on the harness and EcuFLASH will do the rest. The hard part is your BIU, gauge cluster, ABS computer, ect.

Dave Brady, the shop Foreman did this swap years ago. He may still have the answers your looking for .

http://www.enhancedstreetperformance.com/contact/contact-info

Also the top of the Tranny Forum may have a sticky about doing this. I seem to recall someone figured out the CC issue too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Dave Brady, the shop Foreman did this swap years ago. He may still have the answers your looking for .

http://www.enhancedstreetperformance.com/contact/contact-info

Also the top of the Tranny Forum may have a sticky about doing this. I seem to recall someone figured out the CC issue too.

CC issue is the computers being pissy about the fact their old fiend, the TCU, no longer talking to them. Or the TCU being pissy because there is no tranny attached to it. You could build a canbus module simulator to make everything happy, but as OP was even asking the question he was I doubt he’d want to go down that road. It’s more straight forward to just swap all the electronics from a MT car, just much more expensive.

The ECU flash is the easy part, change the ID pin on the harness and EcuFLASH will do the rest. The hard part is your BIU, gauge cluster, ABS computer, ect.

Why would the biu, and gauges not work?

If the key, biu, and ecu are flashed together they should work I would I think.

From what I found in my service manual the biu is flashed to my key for immobilizer and in the biu options u can choose between at/mt. You can even change the dome light brightness and duration it's on.

Sounds like I need my buddy's at the dealership to play around w it n see what they come up w.

Thanks again I'll keep doing my homework

You CAN'T flash any of them. That's the issue. They are looking for a TCU on the high speed CAN bus that's not there, and are pissed. The car will start, but the dash will be permanently Christmas-treed and probably stuck in limp mode.

No, they don't flash them for your key. That's an entirely separate EEPROM chip on each module that stores that stuff. You can actually unsolder this chip (look for an 8-pin SODIM eeprom) from your original modules to the donor ones you'll have to buy to avoid a trip to the dealer.

Edit: If you're technically inclined (or want to become so), start reading up on canbus and Arduino programing. It's not THAT hard to make a TCU simulator to make everything chill out. Would cost about $20 in parts, plus your time. Your buddy at the dealership isn't going to be able to help you on this project unless you transfer all the electronics from MT cars.

Edit: If you're technically inclined (or want to become so), start reading up on canbus and Arduino programing. It's not THAT hard to make a TCU simulator to make everything chill out. Would cost about $20 in parts, plus your time. Your buddy at the dealership isn't going to be able to help you on this project unless you transfer all the electronics from MT cars.

So.... Embedded SSE here... I know linux has canlib but really never played with it. Where would you suggest I start reading? I did a lot device drivers in the past, compact flash, sdio, 485, i2c, etc.

With Arduino and RPIs there is so much that can be done with our cars these days.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

So.... Embedded SSE here... I know linux has canlib but really never played with it. Where would you suggest I start reading? I did a lot device drivers in the past, compact flash, sdio, 485, i2c, etc.

With Arduino and RPIs there is so much that can be done with our cars these days.

If you're that far along you can skip the basic reading reading. After figuring out what you need to do, sending the messages to your physical interface will be easy. Start reading about how Subaru CAN messages work. This is a good tarting point:https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-analysis/can-messages/

You'll need to put a CAN bus sniffer onto the highspeed bus with a working TCU and see what it's saying. Get some idea of the relevant data with some trial and error (compare it with Romraider data), and then wright your program to spam out a "safe" equivalent on the bus. You could even get fancy and hijack the stock AT operation to have it cut timing or throttle during shifts, or even display your current gear position at all times.

Here is where we were talking about sniffing out the BIU to TCU signals to try and make shift times faster: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-tcu-reverse-engineering-136175p39.html

It can, and has been done with dash working correctly over in Aussie. Don’t think many tuners besides Aussie Matt would be able to do it though.

Curious about you saying additional mounting holes are present as others have had to go for customised transmission mounts to match up with the different auto trans tunnel

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=1050

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

• 2 weeks later...

Documented 5EAT-5MT swaps you say?

Here you go:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/254714-inthebay-s-5eat-5mt-swap-thread.html

Mind you that's one done the factory way (changing wire harnesses instead of hacking shit up) so you won't get all the answers you want but it does at least document everything that needs to happen.

It's a lot. I'm the one who stripped out the donor car and that was a full day of work giving zero f*cks about breaking stuff I wasn't sending up. . and I'm not sure I didn't break something given the wire harness problem he had.

Archived