LegacyGT.com

vf52 swap done

Well, bear with me as I am typing this on my phone. Just had innovative tuning in buffalo ny drop in my brand new subaru VF52. With a decent already existing parts list on the mustang dyno she put down 320lbft and 308hp on 93 octane. Stock injectors with upgraded deastchworks fuel pump. The only future mods I plan on are agency power UEL headers and deastchworks injectors with upgraded Perrin side feed rails. At this point I am going with NGK 3762 copper plugs and upgrading to amsoil 5w40.

The car feels great, lacking any real "umph" in 1st, which o believe may be due to lightweight flywheel. I think 350whp should be a snap once the few little items are done as we had to dial her back due to injector duty cycle. I just wanted to share my extreme happiness with you guys. Any helpful advice appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most recommend stock NGK's, I'm one step colder because they were $10.00 cheaper.

If you begin to have missfire or issues, put NGK's in it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nice but 308 seems a bit high too me, max is at 280 and I'm at 287 with fuel pump and injector upgrade.

Most vf52 lgt don't even break 300, You might be the first one or the dyno is just reading high

Congrats, btw where do you make peak power? Mine makes peak power at 5700

There have been a few more additions to this parts list.

Perrin BPV

Perrin short ram air intake

Perrin EBCS

Perrin shift knob

Deastchworks fuel pump

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1413&pictureid=7424

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1413&pictureid=7423

My bad 308lbft and 320 HP. Peak torque is at 5370, we did taper boost down at 5100 due to exceeding the IDC. All I have left is AP header, deastchworks injectors and a Retune. It should probably be mentioned that the motor although stock is brand new short block with used 2.5l wrx heads (unsure if their is a difference.) Thanks for the compliments, I leave props to innovative!

320 on pump just doesn't sound right for a vf52, on e85, Yeah

I may go e85 in the spring and will be lucky to even see 320, more like in the 310 range.

That might be a high reading dyno or I have a low reading dyno.

So how do you like the new turbo?

The new turbo is fantastic, the old tune was a completely different style. Previously 1/4 throttle would create WOT feel. Turns out the light throttle inputs had been Maxed out to create the feeling of "quick" while tooling around town. I picked up the car from some one who blew up the engine after a week of owning it. He bought a stock shortblock with used 2011 wrx heads. He put the engine in and had electrical issues. Found the car with the parts list in the photo for $11,000.00. I purchased the VF 52 from subaruonlineparts.com from a 2012 wrx.

The shop had never tuned a VF52 with out added injectors. So they had it on the dyno for a while and toad tuned for about 45 mins. I don't know if the change in the internals effect anything. I can only say it was on a mustang dyno, it has silver platinum plugs, castrol GTX 5w30 and a subaru oil filter.

I would like to find out how to load the car a bit to increase boost in 1st gear. It's snappy but you never really feel that significant pull in 1st like I did on the VF40. It may have just been the light throttle settings that gave me that feeling. I plan on pulling some timeslips this Friday night. So it will be interesting to see where I'm at.

The new turbo is fantastic, the old tune was a completely different style. Previously 1/4 throttle would create WOT feel. Turns out the light throttle inputs had been Maxed out to create the feeling of "quick" while tooling around town. I picked up the car from some one who blew up the engine after a week of owning it. He bought a stock shortblock with used 2011 wrx heads. He put the engine in and had electrical issues. Found the car with the parts list in the photo for $11,000.00. I purchased the VF 52 from subaruonlineparts.com from a 2012 wrx.

The shop had never tuned a VF52 with out added injectors. So they had it on the dyno for a while and toad tuned for about 45 mins. I don't know if the change in the internals effect anything. I can only say it was on a mustang dyno, it has silver platinum plugs, castrol GTX 5w30 and a subaru oil filter.

I would like to find out how to load the car a bit to increase boost in 1st gear. It's snappy but you never really feel that significant pull in 1st like I did on the VF40. It may have just been the light throttle settings that gave me that feeling. I plan on pulling some timeslips this Friday night. So it will be interesting to see where I'm at.

They tuned my lgt with a vf52 but I am not sure if they knew I had a vf52 because the previous owner put it in and I didn't know it had it until recently it was a nice mid-summer surprise

Yes my 280whp is on all stock fueling, If I had injectors and fuel pump they sounded like they could have gotten another 20-30whp. Again this was on a mustang dyno. The car actually drives like it has more HP.

The important thing is the car drives great and I expect to be driving it for years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Exactly. They were not trying to impress me. I had no HP goal in mind and they were aware of that. But this thing drives now 100 times better than the previous tune/turbo. But again, they were pretty excited about the #'s as am I .

So length of time between plug changes aside, will copper plugs give me any added benefit? The shop said they use them when they do builds/tunes with increased air/fuel. NGK 3672 is the copper vpower part number I believe. What do you all think?

So length of time between plug changes aside, will copper plugs give me any added benefit? The shop said they use them when they do builds/tunes with increased air/fuel. NGK 3672 is the copper vpower part number I believe. What do you all think?

What type cars does the shop normally tune ? Do they do a lot of Imports ? From my Honda days, we ran stock NGK plugs up until we were make tons of hp. Then you would use the same OEM design just go colder and close up the gap.

They tune a lot of subaru's and other imports. They recommended colder plugs, said it is possible with the tune and platinum plugs it could missfire. Does it alter performance to go copper ? Or just the shorter duration between plug changes?

Oh. I did forget to mention. I was adjusting some things today and after tightening the Perrin BOV about 3 turns tighter I am getting amazing pulls in 1st. The car seems to run like a champ. Don't know what that had anything to do with it but hooray!

They were great ! I can't say enough good things about them. I will definitely be taking them some of my winter installation projects! Just awesome. And this thing is a rocket, when the companies marketing this VF52 as 25% more HP they are not doing it any justice. It is an animal. They should be saying 100% improvement, in every way, better yet, I am surprised that it is not a TSB that subaru just does automatically. When are you heading to see them?

I'll be E85 with the vf52 soon and am expecting around the 310whp range only.

Maybe this dyno reads low(mustang dyno too)

Somethings not right then if you're on 93 and have 320 and I will go e85 and will just maybe touch 320 with the same mods, upgraded injectors, pump, intercooler etc

Glad you like the new turbo

Archived