Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior/Audio (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Tablet PC as Carputer? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149420)

tysparks81 02-23-2017 01:09 PM

I'm still in the process of getting everything setup. But software is dependent on what Tablet you are using.
I have ordered a 12v to 5v for constant/consistant power
I have ordered an OTG usb cable.

For my Nexus7(2012) I have installed the following. Slimkat, & autodroid for the Rom and Oxydo v18 for the kernel.

I am going to Install Tasker as well to set the auto on, auto off as well as some other features.

I plan to run two usb hubs, 1 usb storage device, 1 backup cam(will be integrated to open up when car is put into reverse).

I am considering adding a usb fm/am transmitter(main reason is I want my notifications/calls to play over the radio or music) Currently when I have google maps up on my phone, if I have the volume up on the radio I can't hear the notifications. I know this could be accomplished with a simple amp & EQ setup but I don't want to go that route yet

xt2005bonbon 02-23-2017 03:06 PM

Then, you're going to have a setup very close to mine except that fm transmitter thing (don't know if you saw the video I posted a while ago). I do have a pre-amp and car audio amps. The tablet is my audio source, which obviously takes care of navigation voice pausing the music and so on.

tysparks81 02-23-2017 03:51 PM

Yeah I did see your video very cool setup. I do want to make the tablet my main audio source but ..... I do like the 6cd - indash on the 08 stereo.....before anyone gets upset, yes I still play CD's.

I am also on the fence with the whole JDM double din. Its a lot of money for it, and then you still have to buy the actual double din.....I also don't want to get into the audio stuff for my car this year as I already have too many parts and projects on the go currently.

But at some point next year I'm either going to bite the bullet on the JDM DD, or I am going to go the amp,eq and merge the signal

xt2005bonbon 02-23-2017 04:11 PM

I commend you for still playing CDs actually :). Higher quality sound than the regular 128kbps or even 320 kbps mp3 bitrates.

On a side note, I muted the google map navigation voice. I hate it :mad:. So I just keep an eye on the screen every so often to know when to turn.

Smithcraft 02-23-2017 06:02 PM

I can't stand when the phone starts giving me directions! It seems like everytime the app updates it resets that setting to talk. :spin:

SC

funkycharms 02-23-2017 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xt2005bonbon (Post 5323875)
Btw, I did this a week ago:

Here is a video of it:

Rear view camera installed on our 05 obxt. - YouTube

My outback is identical interior/exterior/Trans as yours. I like your setup and plan to add a backup camera to my n7 setup this summer

solidxsnake 02-24-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysparks81 (Post 5585862)
Yeah I did see your video very cool setup. I do want to make the tablet my main audio source but ..... I do like the 6cd - indash on the 08 stereo.....before anyone gets upset, yes I still play CD's.

I am also on the fence with the whole JDM double din. Its a lot of money for it, and then you still have to buy the actual double din.....I also don't want to get into the audio stuff for my car this year as I already have too many parts and projects on the go currently.

But at some point next year I'm either going to bite the bullet on the JDM DD, or I am going to go the amp,eq and merge the signal

I use my tablet as the main audio source, but I can still use the 6CD changer... I just feed the tablet into the AUX-in port (you can see how farther up in the thread, of course). The CD changer is just a press away on the OEM head unit. I don't understand why you'd use an FM transmitter when you could just use the aux-in (which I know you have since you said '08 stereo). It's much higher quality, much more reliable, and frankly, much easier. You can just hook a 3.5mm cable from the tablet to the AUX in, but I prefer a USB DAC because the audio directly out of the tablet isn't the best quality, especially if you don't use an isolated power supply.

tysparks81 02-24-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidxsnake (Post 5586218)
I use my tablet as the main audio source, but I can still use the 6CD changer... I just feed the tablet into the AUX-in port (you can see how farther up in the thread, of course). The CD changer is just a press away on the OEM head unit. I don't understand why you'd use an FM transmitter when you could just use the aux-in (which I know you have since you said '08 stereo). It's much higher quality, much more reliable, and frankly, much easier. You can just hook a 3.5mm cable from the tablet to the AUX in, but I prefer a USB DAC because the audio directly out of the tablet isn't the best quality, especially if you don't use an isolated power supply.

Well that is true, but if I'm listening to the radio, with the tablet plugged into the aux port on the stereo I don't hear the notifications/alerts. Now if I am using an AM/FM transmitter the notifications then will play over anything that is coming through the speakers except when listening to CD's.

Ideally I would like to get everything playing through 1 input, with the tablet being the crossing guard directing what comes out.

rebourne 02-24-2017 10:04 AM

Send your CDs to one of the bulk ripping companies. 69 cents a cd. For a little more you can get them in a lossless format.

Load on thumb drive, use the aux in and all your sounds can come from the tablet.

xt2005bonbon 02-24-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkycharms (Post 5586162)
My outback is identical interior/exterior/Trans as yours. I like your setup and plan to add a backup camera to my n7 setup this summer

Great. Let us know how it goes. I can report by the way after more than 9 months of use, everything works just fine, the camera as well.

I am planning to add one more mod to my set up which is a timer for the back up camera. Say for instance you're backing up from your garage and your driveway is on a slight incline; you will then disengage the rear gear once the car gets some momentum. But the problem with this is that the back-up camera will immediately stop working. So I will add a timer (like this one) to let the camera on for say 10 or 15 seconds after the rear gear is disengaged. This is the same piece of electronic that I am using btw to get the tablet to shutdown 15 seconds after the tablet is no longer charging.

tysparks81 02-24-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xt2005bonbon (Post 5586295)
Great. Let us know how it goes. I can report by the way after more than 9 months of use, everything works just fine, the camera as well.

I am planning to add one more mod to my set up which is a timer for the back up camera. Say for instance you're backing up from your garage and your driveway is on a slight incline; you will then disengage the rear gear once the car gets some momentum. But the problem with this is that the back-up camera will immediately stop working. So I will add a timer (like this one) to let the camera on for say 10 or 15 seconds after the rear gear is disengaged. This is the same piece of electronic that I am using btw to get the tablet to shutdown 15 seconds after the tablet is no longer charging.

I guess this would work to keep the tablet on when starting the car when going from acc to start. I am going to pick up two of them and see if I can wire them in the same way. Great find xt2005bonbon!

xt2005bonbon 02-24-2017 10:18 AM

^ That is exactly why I installed the timer for the tablet. With the Timur ROM, the tablet goes into sleep mode right away each time I was cranking the engine. Very annoying. This problem is now gone!

JHamilton117 03-02-2017 03:23 PM

Anyone that uses there tablet for all audio but doesn't have auxin or Bluetooth? FM transmitters suck in my car. It's an 06 2.5i sedan btw.

tysparks81 03-02-2017 04:37 PM

You would need to use a wiring harness for the car harness, an amp, and a DAC on the simple side of things. I would suggest using a 12v-5v step down converter to control the voltage, since you would like to use this for all of your audio there are AM/FM transmitters that are USB but add one would require a usb hub as well.... It all depends on how you would like to set this up.... there are lots of different ways to do this.

Simplest is
tablet connected to the DAC >Amp > connected to your car speakers

xt2005bonbon 03-02-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysparks81 (Post 5590716)
Simplest is
tablet connected to the DAC >Amp > connected to your car speakers

That is my set up except between DAC and Amp, I have a preamp :).