LegacyGT.com

Check Engine, Rough running, no power

I have a 2006 GT with about 35,000 miles on it. About a month ago the car started bucking while driving and the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the gas pedal assembly and said that the problem was a sensor in the old assembly. About a week later turned on the car and it began idling very rough and the check engine light came on again. Somehow it corrected itself and the check engine light went out. Now today I am driving down the road and the car starts bucking again, engine is running rough, and engine won't rev past 2500 rpms. Luckily I was by my parents house, I can't even get home cause I live off a highway.

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So the dealer has had my car for 8 days. Replaced the computer but found out that was not the problem. Today had a more senior mechanic from subaru corporate to the dealership and they diagnosed that I had a clogged throttle body. they cleaned it out and said I should be good to go but if it happens again I need a new one throttle body and they cost $630...

Anyone have any experience with this? Preventative maintnence? Guy said it was not common at all.....

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing about throttle body's. The ECU was covered under a federal 80,000 warranty.

Car did the exact same thing last night. I don't trust this dealer at all and frankly I am losing my faith in the Subaru brand. I am going to call the customer service people from the website today.

The check engine light is showing this code: DTC P0 122 Throttle/Pedal position sensor/ Switch "A" circuit low

Fouth time this car has broke down in the past month..............

• 2 months later...
I have a 2006 GT with about 35,000 miles on it. About a month ago the car started bucking while driving and the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the gas pedal assembly and said that the problem was a sensor in the old assembly. About a week later turned on the car and it began idling very rough and the check engine light came on again. Somehow it corrected itself and the check engine light went out. Now today I am driving down the road and the car starts bucking again, engine is running rough, and engine won't rev past 2500 rpms. Luckily I was by my parents house, I can't even get home cause I live off a highway.

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks

same problem here, 3 injectors died due to bad gas

my thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/low-rpm-engine-shut-down-137956p3.html

I don't trust this dealer at all and frankly I am losing my faith in the Subaru brand.

Don't blame Subaru for a stupid mechanic/dealers mistakes and misdiagnosis's.

If this was a huge problem we would be hearing about it a lot more on many cars. It sounds like it could be a number of things, bad sensor somewhere, bad/clogged injector(s), coil related issue, there are many things that could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Don't blame Subaru for a stupid mechanic/dealers mistakes and misdiagnosis's.

If this was a huge problem we would be hearing about it a lot more on many cars. It sounds like it could be a number of things, bad sensor somewhere, bad/clogged injector(s), coil related issue, there are many things that could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

I think you might forget the O2 sensor :)

To follow up my earlier posts:

Subaru replaced the throttle body in the March. It was covered under warranty luckily. The car worked perfectly for a few weeks then the same problem happened. (No power, check engine light).

Brought the car in again and this time they determined there was a bad relay in the wiring system. Car worked for about a month and then a few weeks ago the same thing happend. I sent it to the dealer for a sixth time and they told me there was a loose prong in the new throttle body, they tightened it and so far the car has not broken down again.

I really like the car when it works but if this happens again I think I am going to contact a lawyer and look into the lemon law.

My dealings with the dealership have been great since I contacted Subaru Corporate. They always have a car for me to drive when they are fixing it. They are honest with me and have told me they have never seen this problem before. Since the first repair I have not had to pay for anything.

This is such a weird problem. Every time it happens within the hour the car works perfectly so it is hard for them to diagnos I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Had the same issue: car bucking, no power and check engine on with cruise blinking. Turned out a coil was broken and the O2 sensor gave up. The engine was running on 2 cylinders.

Went to the dealer and diagnostics identified a miss fire code on cylinders 1 & 3. After a new O2 sensor and coil and a total of 500$, the car runs great. 2000 miles later, still runs fine.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Well time for me to add to this. So 4 days after I got my outback xt the car threw me the cel and lost all power. Brought it into a parking lot and turned the car off for 5 mins. Started it back up and it drove just fine with the cel. Brought it to subaru and they checked the issue and apparently it "fixed" itself.

So now 4 weeks later I go to pick up my buddy at his house and about 400 feet from his house the car bucks wildly and i get the cel. So i drive it all the way home shifting from 1st to 5th cruising at 26 mph with my emergency flashers on. I did fly by a cop on the way home he just gave me a wierd stare and didnt do anything. But the car wouldnt rev about 2k while in nuetral and only 1k when in gear.

So I turn the car off and let it sit for a couple hours. And start it back up and it drives fine. I checked the code and it turned out to be P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor Switch “A” Circuit High Input. So I just reset that dang thing with my accessport and no problems. Its basically what subaru did to fix it in the first place, but this is just bad. I dont feel safe driving the car. Im going to mention it to the subaru dealers when I go there tomarrow to replace some shifter linkage, but theyll probably just dismiss it.

After my last post on June 1 my car did the exact same thing again. Exactly what you are describing. I lost my mind because this was the 6th or so time this happened. The dealer decided the problem has been in the engine wiring system the entire time, there was a short somewhere that just didn't always short out. The dealer ended up replacing the entire wire harness for the engine just to be safe. This was about the middle of June and we have not had a problem sense. (knock on wood) If you would like the subaru technician's name and contact info so your dealer can call him let me know. Good luck I know exactly how frustrating this is.

I just took my 2006 Legacy Outback Sedan in for a similar issue. CEL and Cruise blinking. Didn't get any bucking or power loss though. Error code came back as "OSV Solenoid Valve Error" (paraphrasing here, I'll repost the number and actual code later.) Turns out that my oil was dirty and clogging it up causing the error. CEL and Cruise blink went away on the way to the service. Dealer thought for sure it was the cat prior to checking it out.

• 8 months later...

After reading this thread I am experiencing a similiar problem except I get no misfire codes set. Some info on my car first. Its a 2006 LGT COBB catted down pipe grimmspeed catless up pipe Cobb accessport pdx etune. I have 58k on the car I am a BMW technician and do all my own maintenance on my vehicle this is the first problem I have had with my car since I bought it new. So about a month ago I noticed when driving at a constant speed (foot steady on pedal) the vehicle seems to Buck in a very steady pattern. The easiest way to describe it is it feels like someone is tapping the brakes lightly every second Its extremely annoying. the car accelerates and performs fine just when cruising it does this. The only code my car has set is bank 1 o2 sensor pre cat heating circuit. Cleared that and it hasn't come back don't think that's causing issue anyway. My spark plugs were overdue so replaced them problem still there. Cleaned my MAF still there put some fuel additive cleaner in ran a few tank still there. Im beginning to think I have an injector on its way out. anyone that has any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I am going to try a high pressure fuel injection cleaning service at my job when I get time if that doesn't work I may have to replace injectors one by one. Also I tried switching ecu maps as well problem happens with any map. Thanks guys!

Archived