LegacyGT.com

Stock turbo traceability?

So I searched and scoured a bit, but does anyone happen to know of a way to find out what the actual factory stock turbo serial number was? Like off of the VIN maybe?

I'm just kinda doubting if this really is the second turbo like the PO said.

EDIT - 122k, Cobb stg 2, minus UP, for unknown time, VF46.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Like how people verify a numbers matching '67 Chevelle SS.

A/the build sheet would or shiuld state it right?

Ooh! New search term :) thanks!

Edit - I had to reread that, lol. I'm just interested in if this is the one that rolled out of the factory bolted up or not.

Or are you thinking it's actually the original turbo and not a replacement?

Yeah that ^

Call the dealer and ask them yet?

I will in the morning. I can't sleep now, restless brain syndrome ever since, lol.

:lol: now I'm on the same page as you. I was thinking that you were thinking it had more than 2 turbo's on it and couldn't figure out what you were trying to do.

I wish I was asleep. Been up since 6:30 am...yesterday morning. Still an hour of work or so to go. I might be in bed about 2-2:30. ****.

My bad, lol.

Yeah, I just don't think it has been replaced.

It boosts fine and doesn't smoke or anything, but after looking around under the hood to source the faint oil burning smell, I saw some oil saturation on the compressor side connection and on the flange of the IC which leads me to believe that the very quiet, very quick "HVAC/wind/other cars" whistle is my turbo going out :( it's so faint though, by the time I hear it and flip off the HVAC, it's gone. I can't re-generate it either.

I did VC gasket last month and I know I've burned off all the excess from that.

I've just noticed this since Sunday-ish. It's new :(

I'm half tempted to pull her into the garage, drop the DP and check turbo shaft play right effin now! hahaha.

I gotta try and sleep on this, I have to be up in 4.5 hours:eek:

Is your whine only under boost or all the time in cruise control ?

The TB on 05's seem to have a high pitched whine on the highway.

Have you decided what turbo your getting to replace it when it's time ?

It's good that your pro-active.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well then get the hell to bed and drive easy on her the rest of the week. Keep an ear open and if it gets noticeably worse all of a sudden stop. If not check it out this weekend.

That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully everything goes according to plan eh?

Is your whine only under boost or all the time in cruise control ?

The TB on 05's seem to have a high pitched whine on the highway.

Have you decided what turbo your getting to replace it when it's time ?

It's good that your pro-active.

It seems to happen under partial boost, like pulling out onto the road and getting up to speed, haven't noticed it while cruising though. Under full boost, it sounds good and like it should.

I'm thinking VF52 or BNR 16g that biatch when the time comes. And catless UP. Hells yeah.

That will all depend on $ though. My wedding is in 59 days.

I've read enough of the horror stories to feel like I know better, haha. (the turbo not the wedding,lol)

My long block is sound(I feel) and I'd like to keep it that way.

Well if you have a VF46 on your 05 it's your second turbo. 05-06 came with the VF40.

Thanks man, I was having a hard time trying to figure that out. I was getting a mixed bag of answers, lol.

When you replace the up pipe and the turbo, stop by the dealer and get 5 bolts that hold the Up pipe support bracket to the block.

Use those bolts to bolt the turbo to the up pipe. It makes it much easier to line up the turbo inlet tube without risk of ripping it trying to get things lined up over the studs.

You should also replace the turbo oil return hose too.

Remove the banjo filter from the banjo bolt too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks for the tip Max.

I was thinking about replacing the oils lines as well. I like the filters in the aftermarket ones.

Turbo side banjo filter is already gone, that was the first thing I checked when I got her and I don't know about the one in the head.

Off to work now, hopefully I can get my mind off of this :-)

Thanks for the comments and feedback you guys, I really appreciate it!

FWIW, subaru also makes a engine flush that they sell at the parts counter at the dealership. I noticed my local dealership had a shelve full the other day.

Wouldn't you know it Max, but I noticed a couple faint whistles on my way to work this AM :(

I so don't need this right, fickin frack!

Looks like I'm going to have to put my truck up for sale too :(

1987 S10 w/SBC350/TH350 trans, roll cage, 4" Harwood cowl hood, 75hp shot of Nitrous, stock rearend. Just in case someone happens to be lookng for a v8 s10 in January. lol.

Mine whined for about a 1000 miles. One morning it whistled with in a 1/2 mile of the house on my drive to work.

I took it back home and parked it. Emailed Mike at AZPinstalls.com, had the vf52 the next day.

Search this forum for "142,000 miles on OEM turbo" you can see the shaft play in the video.

Dying turbo's usually whistle most noticeable when letting off the throttle. On my Volvo, the best way to hear the turbo was to shut the car off and listen for a whistle as the turbo spun down.

The turbo on the Volvo's was usually good to about 8yrs/100k miles if its original, I wouldn't be surprised if its starting to go.

Now for the good news, you caught it early, before any catastrophic damage occurred. It'll be about ~$1k to replace, but its a fairly simple replacement. The majority of people who have had major problems ignored or didn't notice warning signs until the turbo exploded.

Now for the good news, you caught it early, before any catastrophic damage occurred. It'll be about ~$1k to replace, but its a fairly simple replacement. The majority of people who have had major problems ignored or didn't notice warning signs until the turbo exploded.

Yep, that's what happens in most cases.

I won't get to work on it until Friday now.

But I'm thinking that I'll definitely drop the DP to check the turbo shaft play, maybe pull the TMIC and check for oil blow by, and I'd like to do a compression test too just because I haven't done it yet.

Does that sound worthwhile? I'm just trying to get my game plan together for Friday/this weekend.

Also, I've been looking at BNR's turbos.

That 18g VF40 looks pretty choice and I really like the price, especially compared to a VF52 .

I could almost get injectors and a pump in addition to the BNR turbo for the price of the VF52.

I'm totally happy with the power I'm making now with a VF46, so price and reliability are more important than HP.

Am I on the right track or horribly wrong?

Archived