LegacyGT.com

Primitive Racing Skid Plate!

Last car was an Altima SER which was lowered. I ran over an armadillo and it tore my undercarriage crappy plastic "shield" to pieces. :mad: I ended up tearing everything off and just dealing with the knowledge of sh*t getting into my engine from underneath - unpleasant! Saw this website posted on another thread - http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skidplate/skid_legacy.htm - and called them up. Talk about knowledgeable people! I explained I was interested in his skid plate and rear diff cover. We talked for a bit and he asked about my mods and said he would customize the plates to fit! wow. Well, it just arrived! Here are the picts on the floor... when I get time I'll update on the underneath! So excited! Once this is on.... bring on those damn armadillos! :)

photo(6).JPG.97ea3b232c149768375aafc5798a48fd.JPG

photo(7).JPG.90cf1976b96c645102b2ed47556c0b72.JPG

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Primitive skid plate for the past year and I've lost track of how many times I've heard things hit it. Ice chunks in winter, squirrels in summer, debris on the highway...all met with the familiar "BONG" as it hits the plate. Seriously one of the best 'mods' I've ever had. It's a must for anyone in a northern climate where winter makes a mess of the road. Damn thing still looks new too.

Btw, you'll want to trim some of the factory shields underneath so they fit around the sides of the plate (helps keep stuff from splashing up under the engine). The center piece is what's replaced by the Primitive plate but the OE plastic side pieces can remain with a little modification.

Be careful with the diff protector. I had a Prodrive one on my old STi, it blocked all the ports for changing fluid and whatnot. All the hardware on it seized up and I had to take the bastard off with an angle grinder. Just make sure the hardware is decent and you shouldn't have issues.

The Primitive ones clear the drain plugs, so no worries.

I've had a few Primitive front plates over they years. They are worth every penny. I have a 3/16" one on my OB, and it's taken a few hits over the past year or so without much of an incident.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have the aluminum skid plate made specifically for the 4th gen and customized for my 5th gen 2.5i. I have this installed since Jan 2010. Cusco made one for our car, but only for 2.0 and 2.5i.

This is how it looks like, I'm sorry it's in Chinese:

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.225.3VgHOt&id=13646888697

The Primitive plates are as light as any others that are the same gauge and size. Here's mine installed. It replaces the plastic tray under the center of the engine but you can leave the plastic trays on either side by cutting a little bit of them to fit around the new plate.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/13/a4unupe9.jpg

Any problems/suggestions for the install (aside from trimming side plastic)? Did you have them add the oil filter and drain holes? If they don't add the holes, I assume you have to remove the skid plate each time you change oil?

Any problems/suggestions for the install (aside from trimming side plastic)? Did you have them add the oil filter and drain holes? If they don't add the holes, I assume you have to remove the skid plate each time you change oil?

You can get it made that way. If you look at my pictures on the first post you will see that I had them cut them for me. They also designed it around my, soon-to-be, AVO dp. They cut the diff cover to clear my upgraded RSB too!

Most excellent. Now you can go run over stuff.

That's the plan! :lol: But seriously, between NE winters and my faith that the RCE blacks/bilsteins will be out soon (to drop my car a bit in the spring), I feel like it's a pretty solid investment... $309 could prevent a whole lot of repairs down the road. Plus it helps my peace of mind, given that I ran over someones brake disc (how does that even happen?!) in the road a few years back when I was in my lowered S4 and snapped my rear differential... that was expensive and annoying (stuck on side of mountain road during a snowstorm)...

• 2 weeks later...
You can get it made that way. If you look at my pictures on the first post you will see that I had them cut them for me. They also designed it around my, soon-to-be, AVO dp. They cut the diff cover to clear my upgraded RSB too!

should be getting mine this week, but I just read the part about the RSB.. I have the 26mm whiteline .. I didn't mention it when I ordered.. I didn't know... Is it a big deal? Can I modify it to fit?

Archived