LegacyGT.com

Insurance Policy...are these too HIGH?

Hey all! I was curious to see what most LGT owners auto insurance policy is, because I'd like to save money like anyone else in this tough economy, especially being a new homeowner. My policy coverage is as follows....

Liability -Bodily Injury/PropertyDamage 100K each person/ 300K each accident/ 50K each accident

Uninsured Motor Vehicle-Bodily Injury 100K each person/ 300K each accident

Underinsured Motor Vehicle 100K each person/ 300K each accident

Comprehensive Deductible 500

Collision Deductible 250

Medical Payments 5K

Current policy with State Farm 1200/year

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I was thinking of changing it to a lower value, such as...

Liability -Bodily Injury/PropertyDamage 25K each person/ 50K each accident/ 25K each accident

Uninsured Motor Vehicle-Bodily Injury 25K each person/ 50K each accident

Underinsured Motor Vehicle 25K each person/ 50K each accident

Comprehensive Deductible 250

Collision Deductible 250

Medical Payments 1K

Quote from Liberty Mutual...875/year

I feel that these #s may be a bit low, but considering my safe driving and defensive driving...i could save a few hundred dollars...

Do share your thoughts on this important matter, not only for myself, but for many that are interested in looking into their policy. I got an amazing quote from Liberty Mutual and worth looking in to. I have been with Allstate and State Farm ever since and feel its overpriced...

Im paying 1200/ year with State Farm in Chicago 31 year old male with clean driving record

Liberty Mutual Quoted me 875/ year but with those lower numbers listed

To switch or not to switch?

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Location plays a huge roll in rates so comparisons with others elsewhere are not terribly meaningful, I have a Nissan Titan registered in Dallas (expensive) and my Spec B registered

in small town New Mexico (cheap $787/yr /w $1K deductible)

$50k does not cover much for another person's injuries in an accident. What happens if you hit/total a $55k BMW and the other driver spends a day in the hospital. You pay. If you don't have the money they garnish your wages.

I would stick with your original amounts.

Thats what i was thinking...but thank goodness for me the Liberty Mutual agent will match those #s and still be slightly cheaper...he came up with 774/ year wow...talk about saving hundreds...:eek: almost half of State Farm

and @chefo.soriano

I would definitely not do 25/50 limits, as an adjuster I see crappy limits like those get exhausted all the time. 100/300 is a solid policy I would recommend to anyone that drives more than 20 miles a week. It's simply not worth the risk.

I've been an auto liability insurance adjuster for three years and am licensed to handle claims in 46 states. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Looks like Liberty Mutual is our winner...they are also discounting home owners insurance since my GF and I are Subaru owners...State Farm cant compete with the quotes...I left Allstate for State Farm because they charge an arm and a leg. Liberty Mutual outdid some of the numbers from StateFarm as is cheaper...700/year is awesome sauce! The GF is gonna pay 800/year on her 11 legacy...Home insurance in 1200/year...not bad and great coverage...I always thought Id stick with Allstate or StateFarm...but the grass is greener on the other side...

and @chefo.soriano

I would stay away from Allstate anyway, they like to send their insureds to underwriting at the drop of a hat. Also their adjusters seem to be overworked and under paid. In my experience State Farm and Liberty Mutual are pretty good to work with. State Farm takes really good care of their insureds but are a pain in the ass to go up against because they're a bit suit happy, but that's another story.

Moral of the story is stay away from Allstate, Geico and Progressive, they may be cheap, but they're going to screw you if you get in an accident.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Something else to look at is the deductable ammounts -Ive been wiht Sate Farm for years and in speaking wiht my agest , we went from 250 to 750 on my comprehensive and it save me about 25 bucks a month, if I were a better saver and had 1k to use it would go down another 15 bucks.

try progressive, they gave me a better rate than state farm and still sort of good. though i do they state farm is the best out there. my dad had them for over ten years with out a problem. just try not to get into too much trouble or you'll get kicked out with after so many claims. that's happened to us so now we're with progressive.

Whoa StateFarm countered...:spin: amazing what a little negotiating can do! Definitely worth the few days of communicating between the 2 companies and showing each others offers. Half price and coverage is priceless! Good thing my soon to be fiance is a buyer and knows how to handle these things...:rolleyes:

Hope this wakes you up and go save yourself some money...

and @chefo.soriano

My wife and I have 4 cars with Esurance and we're paying $543 for 6 months with full coverage, low deductibles, and high limits. Everyone else wanted about $1000.

Having been an adjuster I always recommend getting the highest limits you can. I've seen the other side of low limits and I never want to be in that position.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to shop for rates every 6 months. You gain nothing by being loyal to an insurance company other than higher rates. And bundling doesn't always save you money.

When shopping around here it seems most companies will give you quotes assuming 50/100/50 K liability unless you specify otherwise. That may work for a younger single person, but if you own a house how can you justify a 100K limit? Maybe in cheap parts of the country, but if you own a house here in NoVA your assets are worth a bit more. What kind of dollar value do you assign to the risk of losing your house if you fawk up? It's all gambling, just like the craps tables in Las Vegas, except that in many/most states you don't legally have the option of not playing this game.

There's a Liberty Mutual rep who gives discounts and does a lot of business with another (non-Subie) car club I'm in, and he recommends 100/500/100 limits for most homeowners around here. Lots of expensive German cars on the 495 beltway, and most houses are closer to $500K than $300K. Compare the costs of that level of coverage versus the mandatory minimums and you'll probably find it's not a whole lot of money for a married homeowner (especially if you bundle auto and home) with a clean driving record. We did end up with 100/500/100, but my independent broker found us coverage that was ~$250 cheaper per year than LM for the same coverage so we went with a competitor. We're at $430 every 6 months for full coverage on the LGT and a Miata, and liability only on my old ass 4runner.

You gain nothing by being loyal to an insurance company other than higher rates.

Huge +1. We had Travelers previously. They had good rates 4 years ago but had been playing the rate creep game, to the tune of a 30% increase in premiums over an 18 month period despite no tickets, no claims, no changes in credit worthiness, no justification whatsoever. Maybe they were counting on complacency, I dunno, but SEE YA. You must shop around every few years to make sure you're not getting screwed.

Yea they're costumer service is amazing, to bad corporate kicked us out. =( still kept the 100/300/100 style coverage?

Yup still have the 100/300/100 and moving from chicago to surrounding suburbs saves even more $$$...

i still have a speeding ticket from 08 that will clear next year and then my rate will go down again...i was in my turbod lancer oz rally and was going 30mph over...boosting 20# on a T3/T4 .60 trim was amazing...it was my 12 second project (non evo) hehehe

Dont forget to get requoted for those that have tickets...here in Illinois it stays on your record for 5 years, depending on what the violation is...not sure how it is in other states...

Saving money = money for modding :p

and @chefo.soriano

I would stay away from Allstate anyway, they like to send their insureds to underwriting at the drop of a hat. Also their adjusters seem to be overworked and under paid. In my experience State Farm and Liberty Mutual are pretty good to work with. State Farm takes really good care of their insureds but are a pain in the ass to go up against because they're a bit suit happy, but that's another story.

Moral of the story is stay away from Allstate, Geico and Progressive, they may be cheap, but they're going to screw you if you get in an accident.

Agreed. My family's state farm agent is very good, and they take good, HONEST care of us. They cost a ton, but when you get into an accident it's a lot better to be with them than with someone else.

If you were/are in the military, USAA is the way to go. My Allstate policy was 1400.00 per year, same coverage with USAA is 860.00 per year.

I have USAA as well, but mine is 1500 a year.. but I have full coverage. When I had Progressive, it was easily around 1800 a year. I'm happy with 125/mo.. though it is a bit high, considering I drive maybe 250 miles a month, I'm 30 years old, and I have no accidents or moving violations.

i would go usaa but both of my houses, life insurance, and car is with state farm. im sure itd save me a butload, but my premium now for car is around 1000/year with 100/300/100 comprehensive. getting rid of my full tort was the best thing i did ever done

Archived