LegacyGT.com

Debadging, painted emblem, and tail light tint *pics

Debadged the rear end of my Spec B, leaving only the "spec B". The adhesive came off surprisingly well with only a little polishing required to remove all ghosting. <--very happy with that.

Pulled the emblem off as well. Sanded down the back of it to remove all of the blue/black paint, then airbrushed it with some lexan paint (used for R/C bodies) I used a dusting of chrome and backed it with black. It gives the emblem a very close resemblence to the actual color of the car.

The tail light tint I received from Rvinyl.com. They're an excellent company with fantastic customer service and a great product. I went with the Red tint and will be cutting out the backup light clear section soon. I went with red to cover up all of the clear/whitish plastic lines - looked too "altezza" for my taste.

I'm now reconsidering and thinking about doing a dark smoke instead of the red. Think it will look better w/ the grey metallic.

Thoughts?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/MumblesCM/IMG_0666.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/MumblesCM/IMG_0667.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/MumblesCM/IMG_0668.jpg

I know, they at least need the backup lights cutout...ill get to it eventually :)

Would you suggest smoking it? Light or Dark? :cool:

I smoked my lights. Let me try to get pictures so you can compared.

Have you considered doing the Krylon red stained glass paint on your tails--just mask off the reverse section.

A lot of the impreza folks do it b/c the later years got too 'altezza'

I did it b/c I have a thing against chrome and couldn't handle it anymore and I think the tails look like a washed out pukey pink on OBP cars.

Now it's a nice deep red and still has great visibility at night. I did 3 coats with light wetsands between each layer, then about 3 layers of clear enamel with wetsands in-between. Obviously followed by wetsanding with 1000/2000 grit and a polish.

I can post up some pics tonight for comparison.

Edit:

Here's a pic--looks a little bit washed out b/c of the sun and it's an iphone pic. I personally like it a lot better than stock. Matches the red on the spoiler brakelight a lot better as well

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy347/dingbang/2a730975.jpg

I dig it! Once i get my backup light cut out mine should look almost identical, though maybe not quite as dark.

I'd still love to see dark smoke if anyone has it! Particularly on an OBP or a Dark Grey....

I had some dark smoke window tint I test fitted on my car and it made the tails too dark for my taste. That's why I went the paint route. Could make them as light or dark as I wanted, keeping the 'red' and not worry too much about getting harassed by the cops. No edges they can peel up on my car lol

I think there are some good pics in doc's vinyl cutting thread that you may be able to reference for dark/smoked tails

Have you considered doing the Krylon red stained glass paint on your tails--just mask off the reverse section.

I did the same. Looks INCREDIBLE and very OEM. Looks soo much better on OBP than tint.

"This is an adventure."

I did the same. Looks INCREDIBLE and very OEM. Looks soo much better on OBP than tint.

Even light tint makes it look too blacked out in the back...kinda is like a gloomy shadow lol the reverse cutout make the rear end almost have 'eyes' heh

Noted. Think I'm staying away from the smoked tint. I will, however, keep the Krylon in mind if the red vinyl doesn't maintain my approval.

BTW, backup lights cutout, looks much better already, not so overwhelmingly red anymore.

The Subaru badge has two holes behind it, but the rest of the badges just stick on with adhesive.

True. I used some fishing line to get behind the badge and separate the adhesive from the trunk... just had to work the wire around the two posts... once it was loose enough you just pull it off.

The two holes still remain, so if you wanted to completely debadge the trunk you'd either have to deal w/ the two holes, or fill them somehow. Since I was repainting and reapplying, I didn't need to worry about that.

Once the badge was off there was a lot of work to do.... the plastic mounting plate was glued to the actual emblem, so I spent about an hour with a dremel and sanding disc and i literally sanded away the entire plastic back plate. Once this was done the chrome border and the emblem came apart, and I was free to sand off the blue paint and repaint.

To reassemble I hot glued the chrome border to the emblem, then epoxied the two together for some rigidity. Finally I filled the entire thing with bondo and once dried, sanded to a flat smooth surface. I then used double sided mounting tape to reapply to the car.

The Subaru badge has two holes behind it, but the rest of the badges just stick on with adhesive.

Thanks, I do not have one of those Subie badges on my 03 legacy, so it looks like the peel and sticks are coming off!

I dig it! Once i get my backup light cut out mine should look almost identical, though maybe not quite as dark.

I'd still love to see dark smoke if anyone has it! Particularly on an OBP or a Dark Grey....

Hope this helps you see the smoke looked. I also had the Subaru emblem covered in the same smoke look.

IMG00450-20110511-1448.thumb.jpg.462abbf8a7972cdc7f51687c2bf9b4b9.jpg

Archived