LegacyGT.com

WRX and STI discountinued in the UK

Scotty

If we could import Japanese and European cars as easily as they can, it would not mean nearly as much that the STI has been cancelled. Only difference would be that now the only people rolling in them are enthusiasts.

Plus, the new WRX and hopefully STI are coming within the next year or two. They'll probably go back on sale in the UK then. Then again, if they DON'T go on sale in the UK when they arrive, I will be very worried

I think the magazine, like some of the readers here, are over-reacting simply to the fact that there will not be a 2013 version of the WRX/STI. Subaru simply chose to not bring the 2013 model which is identical to the 2012 and built in parallel to the new Impreza probably for the very reasons the article cites. There will not be a turbo Legacy for 2013 will there. For what I know Subaru chose to kill the 2013 turbo Legacy and the decision has been taken not to bring that car to the US because of insufficient demand.

demand has dwindled as the performance model can no longer compete with more modern rivals in terms of design, interior quality, performance and emissions.

I am sure that once the 2014 turbo 2.0 liter versions are released world wide in the new body style, they will be marketed in UK. If anything, Subaru cannot afford to lose the UK auto racing scene and the motor racing companies like ProDrive.

So this whole bit of news is just incomplete, misleading automotive reporting by someone who was browsing the UK Subaru website.

And seriously ? BRZ and SUVs for UK ? UK Footballers like Wayne Rooney are not gonna look at Subaru when they have Land Rover and Ferrari within their budget.

Oh no! The 17 WRX's sold each year in the UK are going bye bye! Everyone better rush out and snatch up the rest before they're all gone!

From http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/subaru-wrx-sti-impreza-cancelled-uk-2012-12-17

"Don't forget, it was only a few months back that Subaru slashed the price on a WRX STI by a whopping six grand (though it appears to have crept back up to just under £33k now...), in a bid to pump some life into the ageing saloon."

Most successful car manufacturers don't need to slash the price of their cars by 6K in order to boost sales.

*Brilliant Sales Tactic*

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't be suprised to see the Legacy disappear from the UK either. Its competition for fuel efficient, safe, economical cars is far too stiff over there, and it simply isn't keeping up. The Outback, Forester, and BRZ are all fairly unique, but there's nothing unique about the Legacy.

From http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/subaru/impreza/61907/subaru-kills-wrx-sti-and-impreza-uk

"The spokesman said: “Currently we have no plans to bring in further [WRX STI] stock after the current stock sells out – which should takes us to early summer depending on demand.”

Instead, Subaru will focus its UK efforts on its XV, new Forester and Outback SUV models: “Subaru is concentrating on what it’s really good at – so we’re concentrating on SUVs and the BRZ – we’re hoping to get more [bRZs] next year to satisfy strong demand for that car.”

He added that he “could not confirm what happens to the Legacy after the end of 2013”.

I think the magazine, like some of the readers here, are over-reacting simply to the fact that there will not be a 2013 version of the WRX/STI. Subaru simply chose to not bring the 2013 model which is identical to the 2012 and built in parallel to the new Impreza probably for the very reasons the article cites. There will not be a turbo Legacy for 2013 will there. For what I know Subaru chose to kill the 2013 turbo Legacy and the decision has been taken not to bring that car to the US because of insufficient demand.

demand has dwindled as the performance model can no longer compete with more modern rivals in terms of design, interior quality, performance and emissions.

I am sure that once the 2014 turbo 2.0 liter versions are released world wide in the new body style, they will be marketed in UK. If anything, Subaru cannot afford to lose the UK auto racing scene and the motor racing companies like ProDrive.

So this whole bit of news is just incomplete, misleading automotive reporting by someone who was browsing the UK Subaru website.

And seriously ? BRZ and SUVs for UK ? UK Footballers like Wayne Rooney are not gonna look at Subaru when they have Land Rover and Ferrari within their budget.

For the UK it's really simple for Subaru since roughly all they need to do is to take the cars they have in Japan and ship them. Probably with some changes in software to get the right language and speed in mph, but the UK is easy since both the UK and Japan are driving on the left side.

Oh no! The 17 WRX's sold each year in the UK are going bye bye! Everyone better rush out and snatch up the rest before they're all gone!

From http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/subaru-wrx-sti-impreza-cancelled-uk-2012-12-17

"Don't forget, it was only a few months back that Subaru slashed the price on a WRX STI by a whopping six grand (though it appears to have crept back up to just under £33k now...), in a bid to pump some life into the ageing saloon."

Most successful car manufacturers don't need to slash the price of their cars by 6K in order to boost sales.

*Brilliant Sales Tactic*

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't be suprised to see the Legacy disappear from the UK either. Its competition for fuel efficient, safe, economical cars is far too stiff over there, and it simply isn't keeping up. The Outback, Forester, and BRZ are all fairly unique, but there's nothing unique about the Legacy.

From http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/subaru/impreza/61907/subaru-kills-wrx-sti-and-impreza-uk

"The spokesman said: “Currently we have no plans to bring in further [WRX STI] stock after the current stock sells out – which should takes us to early summer depending on demand.”

Instead, Subaru will focus its UK efforts on its XV, new Forester and Outback SUV models: “Subaru is concentrating on what it’s really good at – so we’re concentrating on SUVs and the BRZ – we’re hoping to get more [bRZs] next year to satisfy strong demand for that car.”

He added that he “could not confirm what happens to the Legacy after the end of 2013”.

The fact that they slash the price is likely that they want to clear out any remaining vehicles first so that they won't be sticking around collecting dust. The BRZ is attracting some of the potential STi buyers and if they are going to come out with a new STi they don't want some of the old hanging around.

I believe they offer a Diesel Legacy over there that has decent gas mileage. That may keep it alive.

:D

I plan to look at the diesel with CVT somewhere around February/March. :cool:

453747.png

I would assume it is, but I can't say for certain. Aside from the BRZ, I don't know of any Subaru's made today that aren't AWD (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

TrueWhite, I don't have a list of comparable vehicles I'm working off of, but every time I look in the back of Top Gear magazine, and see the myriad of turbo diesel cars offered in the UK (and curse the U.S. for not bringing them here), it sure feels like there are a lot of better options out there in the UK than a Subaru Legacy for a family sedan that gets good MPG.

Archived