LegacyGT.com

AP Map Advice

Ok, so here's the rundown. I bought a low mileage 2007 Spec B with the following mods:

Catless UP - Brand Unknown

Catless DP - Brand Unknown

Catless Turbo-Back Exhaust (Looks just like the Magnaflow but no badging)

SPT CAI

GFB GT Hybrid BOV that sounds like its set to vent 100% to atmosphere

AP V2 with nothing but off the shelf maps on it

Various things like STi High pressure 1.3 bar caps on the plumbing, a Cobb Heat Shield for the turbo, some Perrin plumbing hoses and a Zero Speed Radiator Shroud

I have some questions: First off after looking through the forums I think I'm at Stage 2 correct?

So Stage 2 PLUS the CAI which brings me to my second question: Since Cobb doesn't have off the shelf maps for 2007 at stage 2 with adding a CAI, would it be safe for me to run the Stage 2 Stock airbox map?

I assume the boxer can breathe deeper with the SPT CAI, which brings me to my third question: Is this CAI with the stocker airbox map making me run lean? I did throw the CEL codes:

P0137 - Rear Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

P2096 - Post Cat Fuel System Trim too Lean Bank 1

Is this due to the CAI making everything run too lean or with everything being catless should that be par for the course?

The car is on the lift, I'm sick as a dog with the flu and I don't plan on going anywhere for a few days so please hit me with any advice, direction or suggestions.

1) You MUST have a tune with those hardware modifications. Yes, you are stage 2.

2) The Cobb stage 2 map should be okay, BUT you need to ditch your SPT intake. In fact, tests show the SPT CAI is one of the worst choices for your car IF you felt you NEEDED an intake, which you DON'T. You won't need an intake until you're at least over the 300-350WHP according to many people.

3) If you're throwing those CEL codes without a tune, it's because you don't have a tune.

I never would have guessed the SPT CAI was garbage. Especially being a Subaru genuine part. Unfortunately since I bought the car already modified I don't have the stock box. Are you guys saying it would be worthwhile for me to buy a stock setup?

I have been running the stage 2 map and driving like a granny(mostly). I'm downloading Access Tuner Race right now, but realistically I have no idea how to build a map or even how to tweek a stage 2 map to accommodate the CAI so if anyone has any suggestions in that direction I would appreciate that too.

I wouldn't build a map myself. What goes wrong can result in you buying a new motor.

I would be inclined to pick up a used box. Only speaking from what I am read here, but stage 2 Cobb doesn't need an intake. Runs poor. As it does with an upgraded cooler.

The other option is to get a local tuner to tune the car as you have it. Might be cheaper. No one local contact mike sales@infamousperformance.net he can do an e tune for you.

I have an appointment with Ryan at Lenger Racing on Wed to have him go over everything. On a scale from "Eh, you'll get crappy mileage but it won't hurt anything" to "Holy crap, don't even start the car!" where would running the off the shelf Cobb Stage 2 map with the SPT intake fall? Because he might not have time to do a proper tune as my appointment was set up to just give it a once over and I'd rather rent a car for a couple days instead of baking my engine if a proper tune is that critical.

I have an appointment with Ryan at Lenger Racing on Wed to have him go over everything. On a scale from "Eh, you'll get crappy mileage but it won't hurt anything" to "Holy crap, don't even start the car!" where would running the off the shelf Cobb Stage 2 map with the SPT intake fall? Because he might not have time to do a proper tune as my appointment was set up to just give it a once over and I'd rather rent a car for a couple days instead of baking my engine if a proper tune is that critical.

If you stay off the throttle, so that the car remains in closed-loop mode, it should be alright. The best thing to do is use the AP to log the car, then you can check to see how bad its knocking.

Start by looking at looking at the logs while driving gently. If those are showing any knock you don't want to push it harder.

Thanks for the advice. What knock fields should I be watching? I've never done data logging before.

For info on that, check out some things in the romraider forums:

Incomplete Guide To Tuning:

http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/IncompleteGuideToTuning

How To Make Useful Data Logs (PDF version attached):

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5384

Disclaimer: I took content created by ROMRaider's member NSFW and made that into PDFs. I am not the original author of the content of those PDFs.

Logging Data.pdf

Intro to Tuning ECU.pdf

Archived