LegacyGT.com

Anyone driving 30k+ miles a year on their car? What oil are U using?

I am strongly considering taking a new job but I will be doing north of 30k miles a year (could be 36-37k). The job is in another state but my desire to be closer to my kids after my divorce is settled has me going to be driving a lot.

I was researching Mobil 1 Extended Performance because you can go 15k miles between changes. Walmart has the 5Qt jug for $30.48 which is like $6 a qt, not bad at all. My subbie mechanic said Mobil 1 is the benchmark for synthetic oils. I figure I will be doing 3300-3500 miles a mth so going every 4 mths would be ideal.

Anyone else using it? I just don't want to be changing my oil every 6-8 week, my time with my kids is too important and going to be limited as it is.

I've been using Rotella T6 for my turbo car.

The rpms like to stay near redline and have autox it onced. did my first BlackStone Labs oil analysis (45k on car, 7k on oil) and the report came back stating I can go over 8k miles. They said to take a sample at 8k to get a base reading

Mobil1 is no bueno for our cars since some people are having problems with it.

Do an oil analysis, that will help estimate how far you can go with your oil. and can help prepare for costly repairs from metal wear in oil or oil dilution

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I ran Mobil 1 with OCI at 3000-5000 miles for the first 150k miles on my car. I was doing over 40,000 the first two years. I've been running Castrol Edge since then. Blackstone came back with little to no engine wear.

I did oil changes once a month back then. You get good at it when you do it that often.

I just started using Amsoil synthetic on my 2.5i. According to Mike at AZP, the OCI is rated at 7k-10k for the GT's and up to 15k for NA's.

Maybe Mike or even Jake from AZP can chime in here. I remember Jake saying that Mike has run Amsoil in both his GT wagon and his new STI with an OCI of 10k with no issues.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I do just under 30k/yr. I run Motul 5W40 and change it every 3000-3500, depending on timing.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'll chime in for Royal Purple as well, if you are serious about high miles between oil changes. That's top-of-the-line oil right there. Personally I use Mobil 1 and haven't had a problem with it. I do an oil change every 5k or so.

Anyway, if you do mostly highway miles and use something high-end like Royal Purple, you'll be set for a long stretch between changes. Just don't use some cheapo oil filter.

50k a year? Holy crap!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have tried researching the Amsoil and Motul, trying to find where to buy is like looking for Jimmy Hoffa!

I would say 90% of my miles are highway, doing 75-80mph most of the way for 95 miles each way for a little while but I am looking to move so the ride would be 70 miles each way. When I sell my house I won't have a place to change my own oil so I need to have someone else do it.

I have tried researching the Amsoil and Motul, trying to find where to buy is like looking for Jimmy Hoffa!

I would say 90% of my miles are highway, doing 75-80mph most of the way for 95 miles each way for a little while but I am looking to move so the ride would be 70 miles each way. When I sell my house I won't have a place to change my own oil so I need to have someone else do it.

iagperformance.com they have a 5qt container

where are you driving to? CANADA? :eek:

I do runs all across north Texas and Oklahoma. Luckily, I visit a lot of small towns in the middle of nowhere so a lot of those miles are curvy-two lane drives. ;) It keeps me fresh for my hobby - ChumpCar racing.

Mike at AZPinstalls will ship you the Amsoil.

Or you can use him as a reference to get your personal account with Amsoil. I did that. I would also recommend you get a oil drain valve so you can sample the oil easy.

My 09 Spec B is on Amsoil. I use Blackstone Labs for my oil analizes. I use the European 5w-40 in it. They just said to run the oil till 9-10,000 and send in another sample.

I also use their 75w-90 sever gear oil in the tranny and rear diff on the Spec. My 05 has it in its tranny.

BAC5.2 likes 3 qt. Redline lightweight shockproof and 1 qt Muto 3000 in the tranny and I think Mutol3000 in the rear dif ?

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm worng.

If you decide to go that way, PM him for the exact cocktail. He's real good with that stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm running Rotella T6, planning on switching to Pennzoil Plat (Synth) 5w30 during the winter.

Running the Pennzoil in the wifes Impreza 2.5i after switching from Mobil 1 Synth. Night and day, the Mobil turns to water and the car lags badly after 2000+ miles.

Archived