LegacyGT.com

Transmission/power train noise

Good morning all.

Lately my 99 Legacy has been making lots of transmission noise. It still shifts great, clutch seems fine, good power from the engine. Nothing is out of sorts beyond the noise. Fluid was changed maybe 50k ago with synthetic gear lube when it was making a similar noise when very cold.

Its slightly worse when cold.

While cruising down the road in any gear, mostly higher ones 3rd or above, it makes a hissing noise. My 1998 Ford Ranger did this, and it was a bad input shaft bearing.

Also, whenever you apply power while cruising slow, it makes a ticking noise like the 60 minutes stopwatch. It sounds like a dragging brake, but goes away as soon as you let off the pedal again.

Also when you apply the clutch to shift, the there is a fairly loud rrraappp noise which sounds like bottom end clatter.

Doesn't do it just sitting there and pressing the clutch only under power when driving.

Yes the car has 265k. I appreciate your input to keep it on the road during this trying time in my life...

Pretty sure its your throwout bearing. youtube bad throwout bearing. See if its similar to your sounds. If you go as far to replace it might as well do your clutch. Possibly It may need a transmission snout repair sleeve with those miles, but don't stress to much I did a Subaru clutch last month and the car was at 267k snout was fine. I'm somewhat of a jimmy rigger tho.

good luck

Nothing jumped out at me watching a ton of videos, my noises are likely not directly failure related just wear very minor compared to what I saw. Fluid looks fine there is a little room for an additive if there is one that is worth adding.

I guess I have to wait until something worsens. Thanks sosubi!

Look at the center differential transfer driven gear and transfer drive gear bearing. If the sound stops when you lift your foot off of the gas, it is likely these bearings.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071286 has a good walkthrough.

I did it on my 4th gen. It can be done in a weekend for $160 in parts (bearings and Fujibond red) plus the cost of oil and a HF shop press.

If the sound gets louder, it's time to fix it. I drove with a whine for about 35k miles before it got louder (and was apparent that it was not the turbo or normal).

Archived