LegacyGT.com

Need to replace my headgasket

So I've pretty well confirmed that my oil leak is coming from the passenger side headgasket. My question is based on your experience, would you pull the whole engine? It's a EJ25D so the space between the head and the side wall is pretty slim.

Also would it make sense if I pulled it to go ahead and replace the other head gasket as they seem to go out pretty easy. What other jobs would be much easier and are considered pretty standard maintenance if the engine is pulled? I'm trying to weigh the merits of doing it both ways.

It's way easier if you pull the engine. It's possible to replace them while the engine is in the bay, but you would have to disconnect the motor mounts and scooch the engine to the side to get the heads and head bolts off.Pull the motor, it gives you a lot more room to work and you will be able to replace all the other seals, timing componnents, etc. much easier and quicker. Definitely replace both headgaskets otherwise you will regret it when the other gasket fails. The torque sequence for the head gaskets is kinda tricky and would be a lot more difficult with the engine in the bay.

Pull the engine, replace the cam seals, crank seals, valve covers, timing belt components (belt, idlers, pulleys, hydraulic tensioner) water pump, reseal the oil pump and oil pump o-rings, check the rear main seal, oil separator plate, inspect the oil pan.

year, model, engine, trans, miles?

it is easier if you pull the engine.

and WAY easier if you put it on an engine stand and rotate it 90 degrees with the head straight up.

that way when you remove the heads, you don't spill all the shims and buckets on the valves, if you are careful.

as a matter of fact, you can remove the camshafts and carefully set them aside,

remove the head bolts,

and then reinstall the cam shafts.

no muss no fuss.

but if you are working on an ej25 DOHC engine, your diagnosis may be off.

they are known for leaking heads gaskets, but NOT leaking externally.

they are known for exhaust gases leaking in to the coolant not oil leaking out.

of course you could be right,

but i would hate to see you do the head gaskets if valve cover gaskets would fix it.

or maybe the oil separator plate on the back of the block.

have the gaskets been done before?

how many miles?

any recent service?

when was the timing belt last done?

how long have you had the car, in miles?

have you cleaned the block and then check it every day to see where the oil first appears?

'99 EJ25D 2.5L, Auto around 115k

Just got ahold of this car this week, however it was a family car previous to me. I was told the timing belt was replaced around 15k miles ago and the engine has about 115k on it so that makes sense.

It could also be a valve cover as well, I just know the oil is coming from around there and there's a big ass intake in my way to make a really good diagnosis :) Is there a way to tell if exhaust is getting into the coolant? I've done engine work before but this is my first foray into the EJ25. All my previous experience is with a AMC I6 that I rebuilt and stroked.

common suabru oil leaks:

valve cover gaskets

cam , crank, and oil pump seals

and the oil separator plate on the rear of the block.

buy some ''brake clean'' spray from the parts store and spray off the oil parts of the engine.

then check it every day to see where it gets oily forst.

TIP:, oil moves to the rear when the car is driven, look for the ''front-est'', high-est oily place, that is the most likely leak point.

of course it could be leaking form all of the above locations.

ps:

oil on top of the block on the passenger side is probably the power steering pump o-ring between the reservoir and the pump.

but might be the oil pressure sending unit under the alternator.

when i say valve cover gaskets i mean spark plug tube gaskets as well.

welcome to the party.!!!

Archived