LegacyGT.com

Diagnosing whine

Andy_Mac

Got a whine somewhere, not sure if its a common 6mt thing, not even sure if its the gearbox but that seems the most likely. I've been trying to track down and had no luck so far. Not sure if its something to worry about or not.

Its louder in lower gears mainly 1st and second

Isn't loud enough to notice once the revs get up

Does it when i put the clutch in

Stops when i put it in neutral

Have read 1st and 2nd are straight cut gears so should have a whine to them. Any truth to this statement? Seems to pop up a bit but never see it actually referenced against any subaru document or stated by someone who works on these transmissions day in day out, always seems to be forum chatter which does come to incorrect conclusions from time to time.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

The 6mt in my 09 Spec B is quiet. Yours should be too.

5mt's are noisy.

I'm trying to work this through, "dose it when you push in the clutch" = throw out bearing.

"stops when in neutral" = a shaft bearing ? is the clutch pushed in or is your foot off the pedal for it to stop in neutral ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

so driving at say 2500rpm and push the clutch pedal right down it will do it but in the same situation if i go into neutral it stops whether the clutch pedal is pushed down or not.

Had considered TOB in the past but was never sure. Pretty sure its still got the original clutch too so thats probably nearing the end of its life too.

When you have your foot on the clutch pedal pushing it in that's when the TOB is being used.

When you put the tranny in neutral and take your foot off the clutch pedal, the TOB is not being used and should not be spinning.

The input shaft on the tranny is spinning on the pilot bearing and the input bearing in the tranny case.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So when you push the clutch pedal in thats when its being used and thats when the bearings will whine if they're worn but what would cause the whine when in gear with clutch pedal out aswell. Could the TOB be not completely disengaging whilst the clutch is fully engaged since it doesn't seem to slip at all? Is that something thats possible or not?

Na. Been reading up on transfer case bearings and how hard it is to do them. Still not completely confident on that though. Unless its more of a load thing i would have thought it'd whine regardless of what the clutch/tranny is doing.

Haven't found any good exploded diagrams of 6mt's only 5mt's. Assuming they are the same style for low gears, could it be something to do with how first and second are directly attached to the input shaft where the other gears are directly attached to the output?

Might just give it another tranny fluid change. Maybe add some shockproof with it and see if that changes anything.

Archived