LegacyGT.com

Sunroof doesn't close?

I have a 1998 Legacy GT with factory sunroof. Just the other day the sunroof decides it doesn't want to close properly. The roof opens just fine, but in order to close it, I must pull/guide the glass while I operate the motor. Obviously, I can only do this while the car is stationary!

Any ideas out there as to what the problem might be and if this is something I could tackle or is this a job for a dealer/authorized service center?

It could be binding in the tracks, or the electric motor could be wearing out.

Check for loose track rails or areas where it might be binding. Adjust and lube as necessary. If you can't find something obvious, then I would take it to a shop.

had this problem with several Audis --- their engineers had so little confidence in the reliability of the sunroof that Audis actually have a manual crank that can be used to close the sunroof in case of an electrical system glitch. Crank key was hidden under the headliner.

Should it be easy for me to check the tracks? The motor appears to be strong (at least when opening the sunroof, it seems to have trouble when closing. Not sure about the tilt (same direction as closing). I'll have to check as the car is with my son who's away at college.

Anyway, Subaru also has a "manual" close which is performed by a hex wrench in case the sunroof doesn't close. I first tried that approach, but I couldn't get it to budge after about 1/2 a turn on the wrench. I figured that the wrench was only really useful if the motor/gear mechanism breaks and nothing else would work....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Haynes Repair manual shown doesn't have any info on the sunroof mechanism. I got a copy of the Mitchell Shop Manuals from eBay and there's a bunch of good info in there.

Unfortunately, it looks like the car needs to be taken in to a shop. I got the glass off and the basic problem is that the part that is supposed to move the roof back & forth only moves in one direction .... open. The mechanism appears to have become disconnected from the belt and there's a couple of other "little broken plastic pieces". The belt/motor is fine and the right side appears to be working properly. The whole sunroof needs to be removed and I simply don't want to mess with the headliner removal/reinstall.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any details as to which other models or years of the Legacy GT where the sunroof assembly would fit the 1998 Legacy GT? I'm looking for used units in good condition to do a complete swap.

There's no way I'm going to fork over $600 to a dealer for a new assembly.

• 3 years later...
hmm... so I'm guessing this is a common problem? Have a 99' LGT which had to be persuaded to open and close. Definitely seemed like only one side of the track was connected to the motor, and everything felt "loose" Does the whole assembly need to be replaced? Or just a few parts?

• 3 years later...

Archived