LegacyGT.com

Does the Cobb AP really delete the 420 code?

I have a 2005 LGT and recently installed a CNT catted DP. It was fine for a week until it broke in. Now my CEL is on and the cruise light is flashing. Someone told me that if i went with the CAP it would delete the code and my car would run better and gain the extra power. Before i take the $500 plunge could someone enlighten me on the "truth" of the matter? Any help would be much appreciated. Right now i feel like im just going in circles! Thanks:spin:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will need to install the Cobb AP stage 2 map or go open source tune if your good with a lap top.

Check out the Tuning forum and the Vendor forum for info.

I use http://www.tuningalliance.com a vendor on here my tuning needs.

You also should install a catless up pipe

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for all of the quick replies everyone, very much appreciated. Ive only had the car since last May. The only things ive done for mods are as follows:

1) Cx-Cat back stainless 3"

2) CNT 3" catted DP

3) K&N Typhoon intake

4)Power stop Drilled/Slotted Rotors & Kevlar Pads

So, in other words... mainly stock. I havent bothered with mapping the ECU yet because i've been toying with the idea of the CAP. I planned on upgrading the

up-pipe with a nice stainless piece but havent purchased one yet. Any ideas on where i should look considering my budget is tight at the moment. I also need suspension work... control arms bushings sway bar end links etc. Whiteline and Perrin had some nice options, but i havent really been under this car yet like i had in my Audi, can you buy just the press-ins or should i look for the complete control arm kits.... aaah... so many questions. Sorry, new car:/

The cobb ap will clear out the p0420 code and will increase performance significantly from what your running now. The ecu is actually detuning the car presently since its seeing higher boost levels than stock as well as the intake needs to be calibrated properly.

You would be fine running the cobb stage 2 tune with your current downpipe but cobb does not offer maps designed to run with the k&n system. There are quite a few options for custom tunes on the forums, obviously we would be one of them but pick the source that seems to fit your needs best for what you want to accomplish. If you have any questions otherwise your more than welcome to read up on my tuning faq in my signature or website or shoot me a pm.

Have a great day and welcome to an addiction....:)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Thanks Dave. This car is already impressive so more power is always welcome here! Now you said that the CAP wont recognize the K&N, but its just a simple intake... that doesnt make sense... is this going to pose a problem for me? I have inspection coming up on the 28th of FEB. Obviously theyre going to have to unplug the Cobb when they plug the LGT into the OBD-II machine... will the engine light come back on then or does the flash stay activated even when the Cobb is unplugged?

• Moderators

You should remove the intake and reinstall the stock intake. Then load the stage 2 91-octane tune using a Cobb Accessport and continue to fuel up with 93-octane if it is available. After you are done loading the map with the accessport you can unplug everything from the OBD port, emissions testers will have no issues using that port while an aftermarket tune is loaded.

You don't leave the accessport plugged in all the time--only when you are flashing a new tune, logging, or using it as a gauge for something.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Not sure if it's relevant, I couldn't quite tell if you were trying to keep the intake installed or not, but cobb makes a stage two tune that includes an intake. Although some might argue that an intake other than stock is useless until you have a larger turbo, if you were trying to keep the intake you can download the stage 2 +intake tune from the cobb website and put in on an accessport.

Thanks Dave. This car is already impressive so more power is always welcome here! Now you said that the CAP wont recognize the K&N, but its just a simple intake... that doesnt make sense... is this going to pose a problem for me? I have inspection coming up on the 28th of FEB. Obviously theyre going to have to unplug the Cobb when they plug the LGT into the OBD-II machine... will the engine light come back on then or does the flash stay activated even when the Cobb is unplugged?

Do you have a lap top ?

If so contact Dave and have him send you a MAP, you and he can email each other from now on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Forgive me if im wrong but i checked both Cobb and K&N before i purchased an intake. For the money K&N was the most complete kit, but the quality and design is basically the same. So why would i want to purchase an overpriced cookie cutter tune from another vendor when the Cobb should already a few already pre-installed?:confused:

Now before someone tries to crucify me, remember that this is my first Subie so everything is new to me here... which is why i joined this forum in the first place.

@ Max capacity, why do i need to email one person back and forth? Im having better luck here, getting useful feedback from several of you at once. Plus, im not paying $150 for a tune i can get for free online.

Although most that i speak to promote the open source tune over Cobb, i still think Cobb is my best option now. I have an inspection coming up and need the CEL gone stat, my car will need some heavy suspension work before i decide to go all out and upgrade anything else making it worthy of a dyno tune:lol:

I really appreciate all of your feedback guys, thanks again!

Remember, you get what you pay for. A free map is just that. Free. I'm sure the person who put it out there will back up his map when your engine blows. I'm sure he'll be there to give you money towards the rebuild.

You need to get a custom MAP for your car to be really safe. Even that is not perfect.

Read on here and see how many have had pistons go bad in a newer ej257 with tunes.

You need to be safe and pay the man for a good MAP.

Dave helps out here for free, you might as well support him and buy from him.

I do that with my Tuner and promote his name when ever I can. He even pays to be on this site in the Vendor Forum. http://www.tuningallaince.com

I do agree that you get what you pay for. i learned this the hard way more than once on my A4 and could have spend thousands less if not for a few key mistakes. Ive built several cars, but again this is my first Subie, so im just trying to figure out the "right" way to go as opposed to cutting so many corners. You all have great advice, thank you.

With almost 9000 post and two of these cars, I think I'd listen and get a proper tune.

Knock on wood, I seem to be one of the few pushing some hp on a new ej257 and have not had piston damage yet.

Some have gotten may be 3000 miles before damage on stock tune, let alone a custom tune.

These things are picky and the factory tune is flawed. It can cause burnt valves.

With almost 9000 post and two of these cars, I think I'd listen and get a proper tune.

Knock on wood, I seem to be one of the few pushing some hp on a new ej257 and have not had piston damage yet.

Some have gotten may be 3000 miles before damage on stock tune, let alone a custom tune.

These things are picky and the factory tune is flawed. It can cause burnt valves.

Which is why im taking everything that you as well as others have said on here very seriously, and not just with a grain of salt. I really like this car and i want it to last. Which is why ive decided to throw the stock air box back in. I just dont understand why K&N would create an intake knowuing that it wouldnt be able to co-exist with such a widely used and popular module such as the CAP? It really sucks because i think its a quality mod. It sounds fantastic and seems to allow the LGT to take a much deeper breath. The thing that really fucked up my car was the CNT downpipe, which again appeared to be a decent mod for the money. Now my CEL is on and the cruise is flashing... awesome:mad:

The AP will take care of the flashing cruise and CEL. You will be happy once you take the plunge and get the cobb and do your tune, it will make that downpipe money well spent. the K&N on the other hand may have been a waste and lesson learned the hard way, unless you get a pro tune. I would maybe try to sell it on ebay and then pick up the cobb sf intake so you can get the most out of the flash. Once you have the AP you can even get the Racetuner software and turn off individual CELs if you wish also. do some reading on the AP there are a ton of useful things you can use it for.

Points well taken. I PM'd dave from Cryotuning earlier and decided to re-install the stock Airbox. I'll miss the sounds, but i guess if i need to hear the blow off noise i can always make the sounds with my mouth:lol:

I'm looking for power and not power loss. In fact, TonyRas, i thought the same thing.... as in sell my k&N and buy the Cobb intake. thanks agaIN.

Points well taken. I PM'd dave from Cryotuning earlier and decided to re-install the stock Airbox. I'll miss the sounds, but i guess if i need to hear the blow off noise i can always make the sounds with my mouth:lol:

I'm looking for power and not power loss. In fact, TonyRas, i thought the same thing.... as in sell my k&N and buy the Cobb intake. thanks agaIN.

I say go for a protune and not the AP. Nothing wrong with the AP, you just get a better tune from a real tuner rather than OTS maps.

Archived