Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tool Set Recommendation! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192135)

Tehnation 08-29-2012 12:07 PM

Tool Set Recommendation!
 
I'm looking to invest up to $100-$150 dollars for a new set of tools to work on my car. Anyone have any recommendations for something that has a lot of what I need to get a lot of work done on a 2005 lgt? I'm about to do suspension work, bushings, sways, and anything else that may need to be changed. So I imagine I need 1/2 inch set, and 3/8's for general stuff, 1/4 would be nice as well. Anyone know any good sets?

This one caught my eye.
Sears Craftsman 182 Piece Tool Set with 3 Drawer Chest

kongzilla 08-29-2012 12:33 PM

Thats looks like something I started out with. Then I started buying tools piece by piece as I need them.

paintpollz 08-29-2012 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have used this for everything i've done on my car.

Crescent® 148 Piece Professional Tool Set (CTK148MP) - 2 Pack


Attachment 127171

i store it in the trunk well in the storage bin. I just cut out a slot for it, and it fits perfectly under the trunk liner.

to this day, the best purchase I've made for my car.

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 01:08 PM

^I have two of those but I got them from costco with a coupon for $79 each AND THE BOX WRENCH ENDS ARE RACHETING! WOO!!!

They do not come with racheting wrenches anymore. BOO!!!

OP, how exactly do you plan to put stuff back together without a TQ wrench?

SurlyOldManMN 08-29-2012 01:17 PM

The craftsman sets are fine if you buy them through sears so you can get replacements when they break (and they will, eventually).

xero287 08-29-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesLGT (Post 4047613)
^I have two of those but I got them from costco with a coupon for $79 each AND THE BOX WRENCH ENDS ARE RACHETING! WOO!!!

They do not come with racheting wrenches anymore. BOO!!!

OP, how exactly do you plan to put stuff back together without a TQ wrench?

Start telling me when you go to Costco.

paintpollz 08-29-2012 01:26 PM

i dont use a torque wrench. after using them in the past, I just estimate.

Obviously, I wouldn't used this technique when torquing down cylinder heads.......

meier motor sports 08-29-2012 01:34 PM

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Crunch

get-r-done

xero287 08-29-2012 01:45 PM

OP, rather than buying a full set like most of us did, I advise you to get separate sets. Here is what you should buy:

Start here: http://www.harborfreight.com/#

Buy these:

-Ratchets

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...35338-568.html

-Offset Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-32042.html

-Ratcheting Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-68953.html

-Breaker Bar

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...bar-67931.html

-The all important through sockets

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piec...set-67974.html

Get a a decent torque wrench, not from harbor freight lol. This puts your total at $80. I can attest that though these tools are very cheap, they are reliable for their purposes. Don't try to break bolts with anything but the 6-point sockets in the ratcheting set. I've had all of these sets for many years now and through all of the tossing, hammering, and anger I've taken out on them they still function the same as when I got them. Granted, the socket set didn't function as well as other high-end craftsman sets simply due to the fact that they dont have as many teeth inside.

This set up is GREAT for a beginner, hell if I had the variation of tools here, my 4 hours jobs could have easily taken 1 hour. The things one does when he/she doesn't have offset wrenches with ratcheting wrenches.

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 01:52 PM

^Thats probably perfect + the tq wrench as stated.

xero287 08-29-2012 01:56 PM

Oh yeah, looks like they have a coupon to be used before the 31st. Better act fast.

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/.../20offa_01.jpg

boxkita 08-29-2012 01:58 PM

A set of metric deep-socket air-tool-capable sockets from OReilly's or other auto parts store will give you a worthy socket to lean on with a breaker bar. Mine were $20, and worth every penny. :-)

Harbor Freight is a good place to start for tools, even the torque wrench. If you break them, you can buy another set, or upgrade that one thing to better quality.

xero287 08-29-2012 02:00 PM

^Exactly.

jsmith40a 08-29-2012 02:03 PM

OP, I would go with the set you have in your first post. Lifetime warranty and there is room in the top of the box to put specialty/extra tools not included. Easy, portable and you can add on to it.

BoozeRS05 08-29-2012 02:04 PM

Def a fan of buying smaller sets and adding pieces as you go. Don't forget a floor jack and stands, and/or ramps.

xero287 08-29-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

OP, I would go with the set you have in your first post. Lifetime warranty and there is room in the top of the box to put specialty/extra tools not included. Easy, portable and you can add on to it.
^If he got the first set he would only have $22 left over for a torque wrench or "other tools"

On the other hand, he could go to home of da pot after and buy this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UD5n8qPUSIA

It's useless to even have a 1/4 drive set on anything related to suspension. Why waste so much money on it?

ripemeat 08-29-2012 02:09 PM

buy a 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm of every tool and you'll be able to pull the motor in your driveway.

mazdaslo 08-29-2012 02:09 PM

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

the only website you will ever need, tools you can pass down through the generations, same day shipping, amazing customer service, and the best-website-ever

oh, sorry not the "cheapest garbage that will break", but have some pride, you can judge a many by the tools he keeps

Drift Motion 08-29-2012 02:13 PM

I get most of my tools from Harbor Freight,

they usually have a 20% off coupon, look for the back of the motor trend magazine or similar...

I'd go get some Craftsman ratchet from Sears, because those do break a lot quicker

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaslo (Post 4047724)
oh, sorry not the "cheapest garbage that will break", but have some pride, you can judge a many by the tools he keeps

No offence but that sort of materialistic elitist nonsense is not only best kept around the BMW crowd, is insulting and not helpful.

Its financially foolish for someone who uses tools infrequently to spend more than they need to just to satisfy their ego. If you need to satisfy your ego and don't wrench often, spend that money on go-fast bits!:lol:

xero287 08-29-2012 02:25 PM

It's also foolish of one to not read the OP

FJuan 08-29-2012 02:29 PM

My vote is go with the Craftsman, better quality and a warranty. I personally only buy tools from Harbor Freight if I only have a 1 - 2 time use for it. I've had several tools from Harbor Freight break on me and it's fustrating as hell when you're in a middle of a project. Spend a little extra and go with a better quality tools.

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1inspiredLGT (Post 4047757)
pend a little extra and go with a better quality racheting wrenches and torque wrenches.

Fixed?

.:Catalyst:. 08-29-2012 02:32 PM

I have a similar Craftsman set as your link with a different box (no drawers), and then sprung for a 19mm deep, a 1/2" extension, and a 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrench. So far I've always had the tools I needed for the Subaru with that setup. Rhino ramps are great to have and a nice floor jack and locking jack stands.

ibr_adam09 08-29-2012 02:36 PM

I have random tools all over the house and keep losing shit.

Get a 200 pc set Kobalt from Lowes and call it a day. Lifetime warranty too

paintpollz 08-29-2012 02:43 PM

Not sure the argument here. Mine suggestion is clearly the best, full kit and you can stow it neatly away under the trunk liner.

mazdaslo 08-29-2012 02:45 PM

so "buy garbage that you can take back" is a responsible attitude? what is the real economic impact of filling our landfills, exporting our pollution to developing countries, or maiming or killing workers in slave labor factories overseas?
I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do, my socket set is crapsman, but my ratchets are snap on or proto, some things you just can't skimp on. (my snap on 3/8" drive was my grandfathers :p )
I would also ask, how much is your time worth? With McMaster-Carr in 5 minutes you can find and order any tool, fastener, or anything else you need, it gets shipped to your door, no problem. Or spend however much time, drive however many miles, go to "Garbage tools r us" spend time searching though garbage, get no help from minimum-wage-slaves, slog back home, have tool break, repeat.
I don't know how you calculate things, but if anybody did the cost breakdown, I doubt you could drive a LGT for much less than a dollar a mile, I would rather spend those miles on back roads, than trudging to buy mediocre tools.
I do agree with the craftsman thought, wait for a sale, 10 years ago, I bought a craftsman set for 200$ that has taken care of most my needs.

i guess we are all at lunch, so we can flame at each other a little :wub:

BarManBean 08-29-2012 02:48 PM

/leaves thread.

xero287 08-29-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintpollz (Post 4047786)
Not sure the argument here. Mine suggestion is clearly the best, full kit and you can stow it neatly away under the trunk liner.

Yes. But what if he doesn't have a costco membership? lol

.blackgt. 08-29-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaslo (Post 4047792)
so "buy garbage that you can take back" is a responsible attitude? what is the real economic impact of filling our landfills, exporting our pollution to developing countries, or maiming or killing workers in slave labor factories overseas?
I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do, my socket set is crapsman, but my ratchets are snap on or proto, some things you just can't skimp on. (my snap on 3/8" drive was my grandfathers :p )
I would also ask, how much is your time worth? With McMaster-Carr in 5 minutes you can find and order any tool, fastener, or anything else you need, it gets shipped to your door, no problem. Or spend however much time, drive however many miles, go to "Garbage tools r us" spend time searching though garbage, get no help from minimum-wage-slaves, slog back home, have tool break, repeat.
I don't know how you calculate things, but if anybody did the cost breakdown, I doubt you could drive a LGT for much less than a dollar a mile, I would rather spend those miles on back roads, than trudging to buy mediocre tools.
I do agree with the craftsman thought, wait for a sale, 10 years ago, I bought a craftsman set for 200$ that has taken care of most my needs.

i guess we are all at lunch, so we can flame at each other a little :wub:


I feel like you have had terrible experiences driving to stores, wasting gas, wasting your time looking for tools, and then apparently breaking them.

Keep ordering everything online and see where that puts the economy.


And lets be honest, in a bind, we all use most of our tools improperly and yes, they are going to break. Warranty is warranty, so if you choose to spend $200 on a ratchet from snap-on, or $50 from craftsman, do as you please.

I can tighten a bolt just well with my craftsman.

(My favorite tool is this one tho------ http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog )

paintpollz 08-29-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xero287 (Post 4047871)
Yes. But what if he doesn't have a costco membership? lol

ah yes. good point

Pako 08-29-2012 03:56 PM

I have been buying tools for 20 years. Granted, I don't have a lot but will say that a good set of Craftman tools will last until you loose them. Deep and shallow sockets, 3/8 and 1/2 are good. The set you picked out looks like a nice set with a nice tool box to go with it. You can, and you probably will, always add more to the toolbox until you need a bigger one. :)

I will say, I recently put in a 60 gallon, 3 HP air compressor and bought a Impact wrench that came with a 3/8 air ratchet. With it I picked up a metric set of deep impact sockets from sears. O-M-G, I wish I could have got them 20 years ago. I love my air tools and plan on expanding my air tool collection as soon as I can (once the bank account recovers). I even told my dad that the Father-Son talk we had when I moved out at 18 really just needed to be, "Son, what ever you do, buy yourself a good set of air tools, you will no regret it!" :) I realize that cost, noise, and storage may be an issue, but the air tools have been by far the best luxury tool item I have ever bought.

~Cheers~

SurlyOldManMN 08-29-2012 03:57 PM

I'm not interested in hearing about the micro-eco-concerns of someone driving an awd turbo import. kthxbye

Kingfish 08-29-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pako (Post 4047938)
I have been buying tools for 20 years. Granted, I don't have a lot but will say that a good set of Craftman tools will last until you loose them. Deep and shallow sockets, 3/8 and 1/2 are good. The set you picked out looks like a nice set with a nice tool box to go with it. You can, and you probably will, always add more to the toolbox until you need a bigger one. :)

^ This. Love my Craftman :wub:

Tehnation 08-29-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xero287 (Post 4047674)
OP, rather than buying a full set like most of us did, I advise you to get separate sets. Here is what you should buy:

Start here: http://www.harborfreight.com/#

Buy these:

-Ratchets

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...35338-568.html

-Offset Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-32042.html

-Ratcheting Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-68953.html

-Breaker Bar

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...bar-67931.html

-The all important through sockets

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piec...set-67974.html

Get a a decent torque wrench, not from harbor freight lol. This puts your total at $80. I can attest that though these tools are very cheap, they are reliable for their purposes. Don't try to break bolts with anything but the 6-point sockets in the ratcheting set. I've had all of these sets for many years now and through all of the tossing, hammering, and anger I've taken out on them they still function the same as when I got them. Granted, the socket set didn't function as well as other high-end craftsman sets simply due to the fact that they dont have as many teeth inside.

This set up is GREAT for a beginner, hell if I had the variation of tools here, my 4 hours jobs could have easily taken 1 hour. The things one does when he/she doesn't have offset wrenches with ratcheting wrenches.

I think I like this the best. I have a bunch of random sockets, and tools that have gotten me by so far. But I'm going to tackle the lower control arm bushings, rear wheel hub, sway bars & endlinks, struts, rotors/pads, valve cover gasket, turbo, injectors, fuel pump, up and downpipe in the near future.

I've been slowly stock piling parts, figured I should invest in the right tools to save myself the headaches while i'm at it. I have jack stands, jack, chocks, hydraulic press, rhino ramps and cans of liquid wrench, just need the proper sets of tools. The HF stuff has a warranty as well. And I like the added assortment as opposed to the standard set which I probably have half of in my box of random tools, nuts and screws.

Anyone have a recommendation on a tq wrench? And any other tools I may need to tackle those jobs listed above, like big sockets for wheel hub, or any other miscellaneous tools? My crank pulley used a 22mm or something, and I think the nut for wheel hub is fairly large as well, not sure what size.

xero287 08-29-2012 05:03 PM

Get a Craftsman Torque Wrench. The wheel bearings will require some specialty tools if its really mated to the hub. You can easily rent those at autozone or advanced.

Glad I could help =)

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tehnation (Post 4047496)
I'm looking to invest up to $100-$150 dollars for a new set of tools to work on my car. Anyone have any recommendations for something that has a lot of what I need to get a lot of work done on a 2005 lgt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaslo (Post 4047792)
so "buy garbage that you can take back" is a responsible attitude? what is the real economic impact of filling our landfills, exporting our pollution to developing countries, or maiming or killing workers in slave labor factories overseas?

Whats so hard to understand about a low frequency of use not generally breaking cheap tools? Next time be forum savvy and give advice that is actually what the OP asked for.;)
Tools barely used will last generations too btw.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaslo (Post 4047792)
I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do

Maybe you should make a thread is about why you buy tools and are a responsible? Be sure to put it in the political subforum since apparently this is a political issue for you. :cool:

Max Capacity 08-29-2012 06:35 PM

I have been using Sears for most of my tools for the past 40 years or so. Other then the 32mm or 1 1/4" socket for the axle nut the biggest socket you'll need is a 21 for the crankshaft bolt.

That sears set your looking at is a good starter kit. If you don't need the tool box right away, I think they have a 254 piece kit for a good price too.

Look in the Sears ad in the weekend paper.

Or stop by the store.

I do have the shorty box end ratchet combo wrench set from HF. A few of my impact socket sets came from there too.

For those with air compressors, I love my 3/8 butterfly ratchet from Big Lots for $24.00, should have bought it years ago.

mazdaslo 08-29-2012 06:45 PM

sorry, you associated me with a BMW owner, that set my blood to boil :redface:

in the grand scheme of things, i am totally silly about my tools, but buy yourself at least a nice ratchet, you will never regret it :wub:

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 07:05 PM

I dont think you belong with the BMW crowd. I think elitism does.

I think it can be hurtful to someone young to say that they are making a bad decision for buying what is in their budget instead of overspending for the future that may never happen. If someone doesn't know what they want, I certainly think they should go cheap and replace what they break with good stuff since they will apparently use it. Just seems fiscally sound. Hopefully by the time its broke, a couple years have gone by and more money is available.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 PM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
LegacyGT.com