Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tool Set Recommendation! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192135)

xero287 08-29-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

OP, I would go with the set you have in your first post. Lifetime warranty and there is room in the top of the box to put specialty/extra tools not included. Easy, portable and you can add on to it.
^If he got the first set he would only have $22 left over for a torque wrench or "other tools"

On the other hand, he could go to home of da pot after and buy this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UD5n8qPUSIA

It's useless to even have a 1/4 drive set on anything related to suspension. Why waste so much money on it?

ripemeat 08-29-2012 02:09 PM

buy a 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm of every tool and you'll be able to pull the motor in your driveway.

mazdaslo 08-29-2012 02:09 PM

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

the only website you will ever need, tools you can pass down through the generations, same day shipping, amazing customer service, and the best-website-ever

oh, sorry not the "cheapest garbage that will break", but have some pride, you can judge a many by the tools he keeps

Drift Motion 08-29-2012 02:13 PM

I get most of my tools from Harbor Freight,

they usually have a 20% off coupon, look for the back of the motor trend magazine or similar...

I'd go get some Craftsman ratchet from Sears, because those do break a lot quicker

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaslo (Post 4047724)
oh, sorry not the "cheapest garbage that will break", but have some pride, you can judge a many by the tools he keeps

No offence but that sort of materialistic elitist nonsense is not only best kept around the BMW crowd, is insulting and not helpful.

Its financially foolish for someone who uses tools infrequently to spend more than they need to just to satisfy their ego. If you need to satisfy your ego and don't wrench often, spend that money on go-fast bits!:lol:

xero287 08-29-2012 02:25 PM

It's also foolish of one to not read the OP

FJuan 08-29-2012 02:29 PM

My vote is go with the Craftsman, better quality and a warranty. I personally only buy tools from Harbor Freight if I only have a 1 - 2 time use for it. I've had several tools from Harbor Freight break on me and it's fustrating as hell when you're in a middle of a project. Spend a little extra and go with a better quality tools.

LosAngelesLGT 08-29-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1inspiredLGT (Post 4047757)
pend a little extra and go with a better quality racheting wrenches and torque wrenches.

Fixed?

.:Catalyst:. 08-29-2012 02:32 PM

I have a similar Craftsman set as your link with a different box (no drawers), and then sprung for a 19mm deep, a 1/2" extension, and a 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrench. So far I've always had the tools I needed for the Subaru with that setup. Rhino ramps are great to have and a nice floor jack and locking jack stands.

ibr_adam09 08-29-2012 02:36 PM

I have random tools all over the house and keep losing shit.

Get a 200 pc set Kobalt from Lowes and call it a day. Lifetime warranty too

paintpollz 08-29-2012 02:43 PM

Not sure the argument here. Mine suggestion is clearly the best, full kit and you can stow it neatly away under the trunk liner.

mazdaslo 08-29-2012 02:45 PM

so "buy garbage that you can take back" is a responsible attitude? what is the real economic impact of filling our landfills, exporting our pollution to developing countries, or maiming or killing workers in slave labor factories overseas?
I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do, my socket set is crapsman, but my ratchets are snap on or proto, some things you just can't skimp on. (my snap on 3/8" drive was my grandfathers :p )
I would also ask, how much is your time worth? With McMaster-Carr in 5 minutes you can find and order any tool, fastener, or anything else you need, it gets shipped to your door, no problem. Or spend however much time, drive however many miles, go to "Garbage tools r us" spend time searching though garbage, get no help from minimum-wage-slaves, slog back home, have tool break, repeat.
I don't know how you calculate things, but if anybody did the cost breakdown, I doubt you could drive a LGT for much less than a dollar a mile, I would rather spend those miles on back roads, than trudging to buy mediocre tools.
I do agree with the craftsman thought, wait for a sale, 10 years ago, I bought a craftsman set for 200$ that has taken care of most my needs.

i guess we are all at lunch, so we can flame at each other a little :wub:

BarManBean 08-29-2012 02:48 PM

/leaves thread.

xero287 08-29-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintpollz (Post 4047786)
Not sure the argument here. Mine suggestion is clearly the best, full kit and you can stow it neatly away under the trunk liner.

Yes. But what if he doesn't have a costco membership? lol

.blackgt. 08-29-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaslo (Post 4047792)
so "buy garbage that you can take back" is a responsible attitude? what is the real economic impact of filling our landfills, exporting our pollution to developing countries, or maiming or killing workers in slave labor factories overseas?
I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do, my socket set is crapsman, but my ratchets are snap on or proto, some things you just can't skimp on. (my snap on 3/8" drive was my grandfathers :p )
I would also ask, how much is your time worth? With McMaster-Carr in 5 minutes you can find and order any tool, fastener, or anything else you need, it gets shipped to your door, no problem. Or spend however much time, drive however many miles, go to "Garbage tools r us" spend time searching though garbage, get no help from minimum-wage-slaves, slog back home, have tool break, repeat.
I don't know how you calculate things, but if anybody did the cost breakdown, I doubt you could drive a LGT for much less than a dollar a mile, I would rather spend those miles on back roads, than trudging to buy mediocre tools.
I do agree with the craftsman thought, wait for a sale, 10 years ago, I bought a craftsman set for 200$ that has taken care of most my needs.

i guess we are all at lunch, so we can flame at each other a little :wub:

I feel like you have had terrible experiences driving to stores, wasting gas, wasting your time looking for tools, and then apparently breaking them.

Keep ordering everything online and see where that puts the economy.

And lets be honest, in a bind, we all use most of our tools improperly and yes, they are going to break. Warranty is warranty, so if you choose to spend $200 on a ratchet from snap-on, or $50 from craftsman, do as you please.

I can tighten a bolt just well with my craftsman.

(My favorite tool is this one tho------ http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog )