LegacyGT.com

Drivers side outer door handle no longer works... Help!

So I had to make a very sudden, very unexpected trip to the ER yesterday, and as I was frantically trying to get into my car I lifted up on the drivers side outer handle pretty much at the exact same time as I hit the keyless unlock button. I heard a snap, and now my outside door handle will not work at all. I have to go around to the passenger side, climb through the car, and open the drivers side door from the inside.

I have searched and searched this site for an answer, I have found several threads that tell me how to remove the door panel, and a few that have spoken of a plastic clip that sometimes becomes loose or breaks, but have had no luck finding anything that specifically points out this clip or tells me how to fix/replace it. I've had the door panel off, but I can't seem to figure out where the disconnect is that is keeping my handle from working properly. Anyone out there in Subie land have any ideas/suggestions for me?

On my 2009 there's a metal rod that goes from the door actuator/latch area, up to the exterior handle. There's a small plastic clip that secures the rod to the exterior door handle, and I forget exactly how the rod connects to the door actuator since I messed around with this stuff around 2 years ago. It sounds like on the 2005/2006's, the clip might be built into the exterior handle. So basically, you're gonna wanna look where the rod connects to the exterior handle for any broken pieces.

The link below has some illustrations which may help to give a better idea of what I'm talking about

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/door-lock-help-202565.html

The links below could be helpful too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/broken-door-handle-237407.html?p=5068909

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/help-driver-door-handle-removal-exterior-146900.html?p=4002676

Thank you, I saw one of those threads but I guess I was just hoping I wouldn't have to replace the entire handle. Looks like my local dealer has them for $45, I'm sure they're unpainted though. Thanks for the info nonetheless!

I did the same thing to my car last summer. Once you get your new door handle and take it to the bodyshop, see if they can scan your paint, if they do a fresh "matching" paint to your car, you will notice how much your car paint has faded over the years.

The install isn't all that hard, there is a walkthrough somewhere on the boards here, just get a 2nd person to hold the door handle while you have your hands shoved in getting the one rod connected, its a pain in the ass to do yourself!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Archived