LegacyGT.com

Dead battery, now won't jump

Last night my wife let the battery die in our 2005 Legacy GT Ltd (5EAT) and this morning I was fortunate enough to find it in such a state before work. I tried to use a jump box, but when I return to the ignition, I get mad clicking from the starter when I attempt to turn the key. I tried a few different things, battery connection, checking the voltage on the box, everything is fine. What I read was that having a dead battery, or replacing a battery, can wreak havoc w/ both the ECU and the security system, which my car has. What I was wondering was if anyone else has encountered this problem, and what they did to solve it. I read that if I disconnected my battery and turned the key to the on-position before replacing the terminal might give me some luck, but all that did was result in a rapid beeping from the dashboard. I tried sorting through vacation pics, but all I have is from 2004, and even then I had no luck.

Have you cleaned the battery terminals ?

Are you sure the jump box is working ?

It's time you put a new battery in the car that is that old any way's.

Just removethe old one, clean the terminals, install the new one, I grease the terminals afterth einstall to keep them dry, then start the car.

It really is that simple.

I replaced mine at 5 y/o. with a Maxx everstart from Walmart.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, I tried 2 different jump boxes (father-in-law works for a certain mobile lock service), both are confirmed good. Terminals are clean and battery was replaced when I bought the car 11 months ago. When I run the jump-box to the battery and start as a relay, I have plenty of juice going to the starter, but the starter just clicks. Is it possible this is something to do with the immobilizer/security system?

Well, I tried 2 different jump boxes (father-in-law works for a certain mobile lock service), both are confirmed good. Terminals are clean and battery was replaced when I bought the car 11 months ago. When I run the jump-box to the battery and start as a relay, I have plenty of juice going to the starter, but the starter just clicks. Is it possible this is something to do with the immobilizer/security system?

the immobilizer does not prevent starter operation, it only stops ignition. so you can crank the engine, but not get the engine going. if battery source is good, then you may have a frozen starter solenoid. whack it with a hammer.

I had similar problems in my old car, non subaru.

Did you check the voltage from the positive terminal on the starter (not the wire from ignition? If that's good and you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key, its probably a bad starter. I am not sure if there is a safe way to test this voltage while someone turns the key, but if there is, if the voltage drops dramatically you have bad connection/battery, if it doesn't drop at all but the solenoid engages, your starter is toast.

FWIW starters on these cars are way easier than my old RSX, you had to remove the whole friggin intake manifold to do it, most independents were quoting $750, crazy. I did it myself. The starter on my LGT looks a breeze in comparison.

I had similar problems in my old car, non subaru.

Did you check the voltage from the positive terminal on the starter (not the wire from ignition? If that's good and you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key, its probably a bad starter. I am not sure if there is a safe way to test this voltage while someone turns the key, but if there is, if the voltage drops dramatically you have bad connection/battery, if it doesn't drop at all but the solenoid engages, your starter is toast.

FWIW starters on these cars are way easier than my old RSX, you had to remove the whole friggin intake manifold to do it, most independents were quoting $750, crazy. I did it myself. The starter on my LGT looks a breeze in comparison.

RSX, that's a K-series, on a B-series starters were easy.

OP, you may want to pick a rebuilt starter from the auto parts store on the way home.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know you've got it resolved, but thought I should share another way batteries can go bad. How about a dead short ? My Wife's old Chevy Venture had it's battery die that way in a parking lot. I show up to jump it and my car stalls as soon as I connect up. Had me wondering. I got a new battery, slapped it in and all was well with the van. Sometimes there are deposits that build up in the bottom of the battery cells that cause this.

Aaron

(who only has battery problems when its -10 and someone else's car)

Archived