LegacyGT.com

Starting to mod my 2008 (bone stock right now) and thinking of going with an intake to kick things off..any recommendations? I was looking at the K&N Typhoon. Also, will there be any residual mods that need to be done to compliment an intake?? or can I just bolt it on and enjoy the horsepower increase?

Thanks for any help!!!

Aftermarket intakes can (will) mess with the MAF readings and you could wind up running lean. You should get a custom tune to get your MAF scaling corrected. If it were me I'd replace the stock intake. Read the map notes for the AP and it'll say the same thing.

If you are set on getting an intake, stay away from SPT.

Cobb SF, K&N Typhoon, and KStech StockMAF are good options. These can all be run without a tune, though it will help some.

Stock intake is good to about 300whp.

There won't be any power increase with just a bolt-on intake.

If you are looking for power, look into a downpipe and stage 2 tune (AccessPort if you want easy. OpenSource if you are decent with a computer). You don't need a full exhaust to be stage2. You already have a catless uppipe, so don't worry about that.

Gotcha ^

Honestly until you get to power levels where you will need an intake why spend the $250 for one? Put that towards something else for your car. Maybe towards your tune, or put it towards your DP and get a nicer DP than you anticipated getting.

I agree with strizzy. I have the spt intake I got it for $50. Honestly, it's worthless. It makes your engine look a little better but all you get from it is a bunch of noise. Also its a metal housing that gets pretty damn hot. Keep your stock

—Pirated Tapatalk app

I HEARD MY NAME.

anyway, I'm running a 20g with stock intake and filter. on a 5eat and supporting mods I pulled 320/350 on dyno dynamics after a cooldown. if you use the google you can find topspeed tuning performed dominator tuning with aftermarket intake and then switched back to oem intake(and scaling) and lost no horsepower on the dyno. This was on a '12 STI with peak power of around 400whp. and yes, my turbo still wooshes a lot. saved me $200, which eventually went towards a wideband

• 10 months later...
I think it's funny how K&N advertise a gain of 15hp but everyone here says no power level increase. False advertising or what's the deal?

website says estimated 14.9hp which can be anything from temperature humidity and the dyno itself, oh and the fan they have blowing into the engine... a gas powered leaf blower made more hp:spin:

plus thats just 1 car they ran that made 15hp, theyre not gonna put a lower number even if more cars made lower hp numbers....advertising and marketing

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Perrin also claims that their turbo inlet will produce gains of 5-10 whp... Again, who knows how scientifically that data was gathered! At the end of the day, these marketing claims are glorified commercials.

I would replace my spt intake with oem, unless you're well into stage 3 and need more.

Archived