LegacyGT.com

Best engine swap option for 96 legacy 2.5

Hi everyone.

This is my first car that isn't rear wheel drive and i love it! The HG went as expected. LOL. I've read that it was inevitable. But I'm thinking about a swap instead of doing the HG.

I've done a swap before on a different car and I don't mind putting in the work and making modifications.

I know what my options are, but I would like some advice or opinions from someone who has first hand experience.

I read broknindarkagain's post about 2nd gen engines, turbos and swaps.

Awesome stuff there. He did a great job compiling that information. Thank you!

So which engine would you go with? Did you go with? Ej255? Ej22t?

I guess it depends on what kind of power and reliability you want. Sounds like you want a turbo so you have plenty of options there.

EJ22Ts are hard to come by, but they are super old school cool! They can handle a lot of boost and are the only true closed deck engine Subaru ever made. I have heard that they will overheat a bit faster, but that would depend on how many HPs you want to get out of it. I am partial to EJ22Ts, since I have two of them, but both are not running at the moment. I like them because they are so rare and cool, lol.

There are lots of JDM engines on ebay. Most of the engines listed in the turbo sticky are easily available w/or w/out the transmission and all good choices. It just depends on what you have access to. Plus you are in Jersey and some of the best suppliers are in Jersey so you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

I love my EJ22E. It isn't the most powerful engine in the subie world, but it is bulletproof and super dependable. My EJ22E has over 250k and still pulls pretty good.

If you are mechanically inclined I would just pull your motor, machine the heads and replace the HGs of your current engine. Then you can have some time to figure out what you really want and build it up. If you get a JDM engine or an old EJ22T you would want to rebuild it anyway since it is out and to avoid problems later. But in the meantime you will have your DD. Then when it comes time to plop in your dream engine you can sell your stock one in running condition and recoup some of your loss. :)

edit: A harness merge will cost you about $600 but is worth it IMO.

Oh I'm sorry for not mentioning this...yes I was asking for advice on a turbo swap.

I was wondering which motors were harder to find. Thanks. Yes I did see a lot of JDM motors on ebay. If I can't find a donor car I may just go that route. It's nice to know that aside from the wire merge, everything is 'swappable.' <<< Is that a real word? :) Thank you guys for the tips.

Yeah, swappable is a real word here at least. And like swagon said, justgert the ecu if possible. :lol:

Probably the easiest thing to do is to find a wrecked WRX or STI and then you will have everything you need for your swap. You can also buy a whole frontclip from Japan which would have most everything you would need.

But like I said, there are some good engine suppliers in Jersey. Maybe they would have all the parts you need. Idk.

The best thing to do is find a wrecked WRX that still runs, for around $3k or less as it has everything you need. You will only have to merge the harness. But to swap a turbo engine (without buying a donor car) you will have to get a few more things than just the ECU and harnesses merged..

You will need:

To upgrade the transmission from the stock automatic (it won't hold up) to at least a 5-speed unit. Tiger Japanese sells a JDM unit for around $700 shipped.

To swap in a 4.11 rear differential to match the 5-speeds front diff

To swap the NA crossmember to turbo style crossmember

Add a down-pipe and at least a custom fit WRX exhaust system

Add a GT style hood with a hood scoop. This is so you don't need to convert to a FMIC and waste money..

BUT, before you do any of this should at least upgrade the suspension, wheels, and tires so that the power can be used safely. You can upgrade the brakes but it isn't all that necessary as WRX brakes aren't much of an upgrade over our stockers.

• 5 years later...
Just read this thread looking for engine swaps and found out about the ej22 from the gentleman in the thread above! So I went to look under my hood and found that it is an ej22 but non turbo. Would this still be the closed deck that's able to be built up like you spoke of? It's a 96 legacy wagon L model 4wd 5speed manual. The vin tag under the hood on driver side says it's an ej22. Now I just need to rebuild it and find the parts to turbo it. It has 136k miles on it and runs great actually! I'm sure it's a good idea to rebuild it before I add boost so is there a place you all recommend for rebuild parts as well? Oh and I'll need a clutch that will take a beating to haha

Just read this thread looking for engine swaps and found out about the ej22 from the gentleman in the thread above! So I went to look under my hood and found that it is an ej22 but non turbo. Would this still be the closed deck that's able to be built up like you spoke of? It's a 96 legacy wagon L model 4wd 5speed manual. The vin tag under the hood on driver side says it's an ej22. Now I just need to rebuild it and find the parts to turbo it. It has 136k miles on it and runs great actually! I'm sure it's a good idea to rebuild it before I add boost so is there a place you all recommend for rebuild parts as well? Oh and I'll need a clutch that will take a beating to haha

96 EJ22E is an open deck motor. They'll handle boost, but only up to 5-7lbs. Its enough to have a little kick but turning it up beyond that will require either a piggyback or standalone management system and will destroy the sleeves with too much pressure. I know someone locally who is running 7 lbs on a bone stock EJ251, but those are close to 10:1 compression and not boost friendly.

If you want to go hardcore, track down an EJ22T block from a 91-94 Turbo Legacy. Those are fully closed deck.

Here is a nice link on compression ratios, engine combinations, etc. It was written up by DOHCEJ22E here on this forum.

http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-30849.html

I been reading different reports about the ej22e, and some say the weak point is the pistons. And that the block is actually stronger than a WRX block. These threads I read were on another Subaru forum but the people never came back on and gave a succes or fail testimony. Id like about 3-400hp just tying to find the most cost effective way to do it to this Subaru. I know allot of swaps will just bolt right up given the ecu and a harness merge but then I got the drivetrain to consider as well. But hey I picked this thing up for 500$ and it's only got 136k on it.

Take a look at this thread for EJ22E boosting

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/here-my-ej22e-turbo-recipe-220874.html

I been reading different reports about the ej22e, and some say the weak point is the pistons. And that the block is actually stronger than a WRX block. These threads I read were on another Subaru forum but the people never came back on and gave a succes or fail testimony. Id like about 3-400hp just tying to find the most cost effective way to do it to this Subaru. I know allot of swaps will just bolt right up given the ecu and a harness merge but then I got the drivetrain to consider as well. But hey I picked this thing up for 500$ and it's only got 136k on it.

The EJ22E is a completely open deck. I'd look at the date of those threads because I know early on, the EJ205 used in the WRX was a new motor in the early 2000's and tuners were barely scraping the surface on them. It's possible they were referring to a EJ22T block, because that one is stronger than even STI blocks. You'll never reach 3-400 HP with an open deck motor, well at least not consistently without cracking the sleeves or snapping your conrods. The connecting rods are like glass on NA cars. Most you'll get is a boost of 40-60HP because you'll only be able to run about 5-7lbs of boost.

You'll never reach 3-400 HP with an open deck motor, well at least not consistently without cracking the sleeves or snapping your conrods. The connecting rods are like glass on NA cars. Most you'll get is a boost of 40-60HP because you'll only be able to run about 5-7lbs of boost.

1. The rods in the EJ22E can and will handle 400bhp all day long. What they, as well as any other EJ rod, cannot handle is boost brought on too early, which will cause bending.

2. Open deck EJ20's and EJ22's can handle 400bhp as well with no negative effects. If anything, you will have to worry about the pistons well before you worry about the cylinders moving.

3. People have pushed 18+psi through EJ22E blocks with stock pistons, rods, and crank with zero issues with the proper tuning and heads. Limits have been found at 24psi.

1. The rods in the EJ22E can and will handle 400bhp all day long. What they, as well as any other EJ rod, cannot handle is boost brought on too early, which will cause bending.

2. Open deck EJ20's and EJ22's can handle 400bhp as well with no negative effects. If anything, you will have to worry about the pistons well before you worry about the cylinders moving.

3. People have pushed 18+psi through EJ22E blocks with stock pistons, rods, and crank with zero issues with the proper tuning and heads. Limits have been found at 24psi.

Well slap me and call me Susan. I trust your input as you have a lot more experience with the EJ22 than I do.

So would it be my assumption to think that if I were to build an open deck with stiffer rods and STI pistons that I'd be able to push stock WRX power levels, with a piggyback or standalone ECU of course?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So the cars got 136k miles on it. It doesnt use any oil or anything and pulls strong for stock. I'd need to upgrade the clutch for sure and I'm wondering if I should rebuild it to be safe. If not I'd be happy to run it the way it is and add boost. Which heads would you recommend though. And I'm assuming I would need to upgrade things like injectors, ignition, fuel pump, and an engine management controller? I'd need to buy a turbo and accessories as well.

Would I be better off as far as cost just looking for a wrecked STI to swap everything over?

You can boost an NA motor for less than $1000. An STI swap is well over 2-3k and that's just for the engine. A wrecked STI will fetch 5-10k on how badly it's banged up, not to mention the wire merge will be enough to make you pull your hair out.

You can boost an NA motor for less than $1000. An STI swap is well over 2-3k and that's just for the engine. A wrecked STI will fetch 5-10k on how badly it's banged up, not to mention the wire merge will be enough to make you pull your hair out.

When I get the funds around can get the specifics from you about all I'll need to do?

Archived