LegacyGT.com

new rims back tire rubs

So I just put 18'" rims on my Legacy. And for some reason the back left tire is rubbing on bumps and sometimes on right turns. I can't figure out why only the one tire would be rubbing and it started after they were on for a day. The first day they were fine. Any ideas/suggestions? Thank You. 18" rims. Tire size 205/40/18

Offset, not bolt pattern. You're offset is probably too little. You'll have to roll the fenders to make it fit. Take it to the local Tire Barn or Discount Tire and they can roll your fenders for a small fee.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Its rubbing on the fender. 5x100 I believe.

no thats a bolt pattern measurement. why dont you tell use the brand and model of wheel you have and where you got it from, that way we can look up the rim you have and see whats up.

Its rubbing on the fender. 5x100 I believe.

As people have said, that's bolt pattern. Bolt pattern indicates the number of lugs and the space between them. For example:

5X100 (the Legacy) has 5 lugs spaced 100MM apart.

The offset is the wheel's distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. Again this is in MM.

205/40/18 tires sounds like a celica or scion setup. Did you buy them used off craigslist? Those cars' wheels are usually in the 30's offset, which is too low for legacies and will put the edge of your tires really close to the fender.

If your back left is the only one rubbing, it's probly because your weight makes the car lower on the left side, and slightly prevents it from rolling over on the right side and rubbing there.

funny how even the manufaturer's website wont even list the offset. - http://www.kyowadesigns.com/view-wheel/kr626-flat-black

i found this for a 18x8 version of your wheel and its a +35 offset which is too low and would def cause rubbing

http://www.elites-wholesale.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/8542078/vpcsid/0/SFV/32431/order/asc/order_by/title

So I just put 18'" rims on my Legacy. And for some reason the back left tire is rubbing on bumps and sometimes on right turns. I can't figure out why only the one tire would be rubbing and it started after they were on for a day. The first day they were fine. Any ideas/suggestions? Thank You. 18" rims. Tire size 205/40/18

Did you really put a 205 40 on that 18 inch wheel :eek:, that is lame man, why not a 225 or 235? mmm to each his own. Hell I had a 205 50 on my car stock.

Did you really put a 205 40 on that 18 inch wheel :eek:, that is lame man, why not a 225 or 235? mmm to each his own. Hell I had a 205 50 on my car stock.

If he's rubbing with a 205, what do you think would happen with a wider tire?

To the OP: pull a wheel off, and check for casting marks on the back of the face that would tell you the offset. If you see something like "+35" then you have positive 35mm offset. If it's not rubbing too badly, rolling your fenders should fix you up. Do it before you wear/chip the paint off the fender though, that opens the door for rust to move in.

What year is your car?

If you have a 4th Gen Legacy and would like to educate yourself a bit on what wheel sizes, offsets, and tires are recommended for your car, this thread is a great starting point:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-4426.html

Lot's of good info in the Wheels & Tires forum.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived