LegacyGT.com

Keyless Entry Remote Programming

I bought my legacy a few months ago (2007 GT) and it didn't come with the keyless entry remote because the dude couldn't find it. So, I bought one on ebay. It says to program it using instructions in the owners manual, but of course, I don't have one of those either.

I don't have any local Subaru dealerships (closest one is 30+ miles), so can someone do a brief How-To on how to program the keyless entry remote on my 2007 Legacy GT?

That would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think anyone will give out that info for fear of someone programming a remote to someone elses car. As far as I know you have to go to the dealer to get it programmed. I could be getting it confused with the key remote though.

I can offer you this from an eBay vendor. I have a 2007 limited and these are the instructions I was given. I attached a pic of the fob so you can compare too.

Programming for a 2006 to 2008 Subaru Legacy

Read through this information very thoroughly as eveything needs to be done in a quick fashion!*

This is a very difficult procedure that many / most folks are just not able to perform well or properly.

While we provide this information, we recommend a dealer or very good locksmith for the

programming of these due to the difficult nature of the process to get these going.

First, open the remote and make a note* of the eight-digit number located inside the case.

* When

***** Remote transmitter added or replaced.

***** System malfunction.

* How

* NOTE: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed (one at a time).

* Program all 4 memory positions to ensure lost or stolen remote transmitters

* will not work.

***** Locate and record remote transmitter ID number from package or remote

***** transmitter that will be programmed.

***** Open driver's door.

***** Enter vehicle.

***** Close driver's door.

***** Within 15 seconds: Turn ignition key to ON position and back to LOCK

***** position 10 times.

***** An acoustic signal is emitted once to indicate programming mode activated.

***** Another continuous acoustic signal will follow and interior lamp will flash

***** until programming is complete.

* NOTE: If an error occurs during programming, the acoustic signal will stop, the

* interior lamp will extinguish and the programming will need to be started

* again.

***** Within 45 seconds:

***** Open driver's door.

***** Close driver's door.

***** An acoustic signal is emitted until the ID number is entered.

***** Press the LOCK button on the door control panel the same number of times as

***** the first digit in the remote transmitter ID number.

***** When the digit has been entered press the UNLOCK button on the door control

***** panel.

***** Repeat procedure with each digit counting from left to right.

***** Repeat programming procedure for the entire ID number a second time.

***** An acoustic signal is emitted once to indicate programming complete.

***** Repeat ID number entering procedure for any additional remote transmitters

***** being programmed.

***** Check operation of all programmed remote transmitters.

http://www.keylessremotesonline.com/images/1193444824847-503728209.gif

:lol: No worries, the key is still needed.

LOL People think that. I thought my 04 RSX was unstealable for the fact it had the immobilizer on it. Man was I wrong. They stole that within 3 hours of me being home.

Honestly, I haven't tried it yet. I am getting the all in one key from freddy beans and just figure to have the dealer do them all at once. I can say this ebay vendor has a 100% rating over 50K transactions. I can't imagine he's pushing snake oil.

• 6 months later...
This works just fine. I just did it myself. The biggest thing to remember after you do it is that you should remove the key from the ignition to test it. I did it twice before giving up and pulling the key from the ignition and getting out of the car thinking it hadn't worked and then I clicked and badda bing badda boom

• 1 month later...
LOL People think that. I thought my 04 RSX was unstealable for the fact it had the immobilizer on it. Man was I wrong. They stole that within 3 hours of me being home.

There is no chance that someone can program a remote to your car without your knowledge. Did you read the instructions?

If you buy a car second hand its certainly possible that they give you two keys but had a third programmed into it without your knowledge. That would make for an easy steal 3 hours later.

There should be directions to erase all known keylesss entry/immobilizer. Then you can learn only the ones you want to work.

You can program the keyless entry fob pretty easy. Just follow the instructions - exactly.

The chipped key, has to be programed, but there are places other than the dealer that can do it. I found a local hardware store that cut and programed a key for $65.

I bought my legacy a few months ago (2007 GT) and it didn't come with the keyless entry remote because the dude couldn't find it. So, I bought one on ebay. It says to program it using instructions in the owners manual, but of course, I don't have one of those either.

I don't have any local Subaru dealerships (closest one is 30+ miles), so can someone do a brief How-To on how to program the keyless entry remote on my 2007 Legacy GT?

That would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Register your car on my.subaru.com and you'll be able to download a pdf of the owner's manual. Its incredibly helpful because its a) searchable, and b) not in the glove box.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I ordered a replacement fob off ebay but it didn't work. So I told the guy it must be defective and he sent me another one. It also does not work. Both of the new ones look exactly like the one we got with the car. I know I'm doing the programming correctly because I tried it enough times that it wiped the original remote out of the memory, and I had to reprogram that one (and it worked).

Here's a pic I took of the insides (new one on the left, original on the right). The sticker on the new one has 2 sets of numbers, and there are some minor differences in some of the labels on the circuit board and the main chip on the other side has a slightly different number stamped on it, but everything is basically the same. One other difference: on the outside of the original remote it says "Made in Mexico" but the new ones both say "Made in Japan."

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55699037/Subaru_Remotes.jpg

So what the hell is going on?

Take pics of the other side of the circuit board, and link to ad? Its possible that these keys just don't work with your car.

So do you want to see the side with the chips/resisters/etc on it, or the backside of the plastic with all the writing/FCC stuff on it? I was going to try that, but I didn't think it would be visible with the camera phone. Might have to grab the DSLR for that one.

Which ad did you want a link to? Lost me on that one. If you mean the ebay listing, it's here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200717276799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That is a different seller than who i used. I used http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-NHVWB1U711/130616876883?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=003&category=33723&cmd=ViewItem seller and was very pleased. Even came with a new battery. However i doubt there is anything wrong with both remotes.....

Are you sure that you are entering the 8 digit code correct? On the remote with all the letter and numbers it only the last 8 numbers. And the other remote it is all 8 numbers. The remote initialization sequence is a bid tricky and takes several attempts. Hear is a link that i used for learning the sequence: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

Try using that and see if it helps. Let us know what happens.

I'm doing the programming sequence correctly because it makes the confirmation lock cycle at the end, and I tried it so many times with both new remotes that it removed my existing remote from the system, so I had to reprogram the old remote back in, and that one worked fine on the first try. I got this response from my post on NASIOC from another user who had gone through a similar experience:

There are actually two series of the "teardrop" remotes, that look exactly the same, and they are not compatible with each other. A remote for a 08-10 Impreza or 09-10 Forester will look exactly the same as the ones used on earlier models.

Even the "holy grail of EBay remote sellers" the FCC ID on the back of the case, is the same. So the EBay guy won't understand why it doesn't work for you, and there is nothing he can do because they all look exactly the same in his pile.

Ah, yes i agree with that.... I used to sell auto parts and its crazy but some things look the same but change over the course of production and are not interchangeable. i didn't know that there were 2 different teardrops. I would see if you can send them back for a refund, and use totally a different seller! i see that the seller you are using has a great feed back but low on total sales this may be why he doesn't know. The seller i bought my remote from has a seller rating of over 6k and i had no problems what so ever. i would deff recommend them, they are referenced in other post above.

Yeah the seller was really close to my location and only took a day to get to me, yours is on the east coast so would take about a week. He's been pretty cool about it so far, so I'll let him know what the problem is and leave it up to him to fix his listing.

Since the transponder key I had made seems to also disarm the alarm when I use it to unlock the car, it's not quite as urgent for me to get the remote, so I might try your seller out.

• 3 months later...
Hi..got a remote keyfob for the car...gone through the crazy programming instructions.(open the door..10 times on and off....lights flash...tones chime according to instructions) Then I do the thing entering the numbers twice using the lock button. But when I enter the 8 digit number a second time...instead of hearing a 30 second tone like it says in the instructions...the locks cycle. I've followed the steps over and over...but no luck...the locks cycle and the fob doesn't lock/unlock the car. Any ideas?

Archived