LegacyGT.com

intermittently lost 3rd 4th and 5th gears today

driven3

My car seems to not enjoy being on the rode these days.

Just switched over to my snow tires, getting ready for some snow, and today my transmission got all wonky.

Background: 2010 Legacy GT

80,700 miles (second owner. Purchased at 35k)

I was driving home today on a 45mph road. Accelerated gently from a light, fine into 2nd, tried to get third, and shifter just "got stuck". I was unableft to move the shifter up toward third or fifth. Temporarily shifted back into 2nd, it went in with a little crunch. Tried to shift again, was finally able to shift down into 6th.

Pulled over in about a mile whenot opportunity presented itself.

When puled over, I depressed the clutch several times, and was now able to shift into every gear. I took off SLOWLY, and gently shifted up through the gears.

Just before getting on the parkway, the problem repeated itself again while shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

I again got it into 6th, and just cruised home.

I'm leaving the car at home tomorrow, but will have some time in the afternoon to look at it.

Any ideas?

I was going to change the fluid after Thanksgiving, but I'm leaning to some sort of mechanical issue.

Jumped in the car after work today. Pushed clutch pedal in, stirred the shift lever through all six gears. I decided to take it for a ride to see what happened.

About a mile in, again on the shift from secold to third, everything locked up.

I gently got it back into second, and turned for home. Interestingly, I was able to now shift into fourth and sixth.

One, three, and five are completely locked out, but now I can use second, fourth and sixth.

Riddle me this.

Any ideas before I break down and send it to a good local Trans shop?

Any chance a cable is binding, or the shifter itself is the issue?

First thing I would check are the linkage bushings, there are 2. One is round and connects from the linkage to the trans, the other is rectangular and is connected to the body of the car. They look like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDQwMA==/z/zswAAOxyc2pTcOri/$_35.JPG

It would be a bad idea to flush out the trans and put new fluid in.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Right, you'll want to fix the issue before you spend money on 75w-90 only to find the tranny has to come out.

Make sure the shift linkage is tight and in good working order.

IMO you have a internal problem.

Before my mainshaft, 5mt, "finaly finished breaking" I had a hard time going into 3rd and it got locked up a couple times.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived