LegacyGT.com

ebay winner 181k 06 gt legacy

nice pics a and carfax. hard to believe it's in such good shape. We've had some really good luck with high mileage subarus off ebay. Now, maybe she wont give this one away :). It's about an hour from here, and we'll pick it up on Saturday. What should I check before I hand over the balance in cash? I do have a compression gauge, what spark plug wrench should I bring? How do I look at the trans fluid? Is there a way to check the cv's? It says the turbo was replaced "huh"? Where are the common oil leaks on the GT? How much noise is acceptable? Any help would be appreciated. Murphy's law, if it's too good to be true, then it probably isn't.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIMITED-NO-RESERVE-/221129157556?forcev4exp=true#ht_17127wt_1182

• Moderators

have you ever owned a turbo subaru before?

if not, best of luck--hope it works out for you. You have most of the things to check already (namely compression, if that's bad you need to do a leakdown test I beleive). Trans fluid on the dipstick. You could drop the downpipe and check the turbo for play, but in theory you should have a new gasket if you're going to do that.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

looks like a winner

Ebay offers buyer protection, read about it(saved my @ss on a blown transmission)

great condition

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Thanks for the response Barman and SCaseys. No previous Subaru turbos, but had an 02 tt Carrera and have a Super Duty turbo diesel. I've never had problems with a turbo. Although, I did test drive a GT that had a noisey turbo, and didn't buy it.

I just reread the Ebay buyer protection, and it looks like it would cover a non-disclosure, and not a warranty.

Before you buy let me tell you something, If a water damage or salvage title or rebuilt, repaired title doesn't scare then I would rather hold on it and fin one for the same price but with a lot less miles. I personally just bought mine for 5500 and its a 2007 legacy gt limited just like that one except no spoiler and it has si drive. It does have a water damage title but the owner gave me a folder full of receipts from where they basically replaced the whole engine at Subaru. And I bought from a private seller not dealer. But if you still want to go through with this then:

Ask for maintenance receipts especially for the new turbo. Look underneath the car for any signs of rust, bring a jack or ramps and check all underneath the engine for leaks and anything broken. Take your time with it and don't rush. Take it for a drive like a 30 min or more drive and make sure u feel the turbo boost and throw u to the back of your seat. Make sure all functions work( heated seats, sunroof) stuff like that. And the banjo bolt, I hear people talk that if you don't replace it it can really damage the turbo. Also make sure all the warning lights come on with one click. I've heard of many people ( not here) that take out the airbag or check engine light to sell a vehicle. I can go into more detail but I'm sure you get the idea. And trust me I buy cars all the time and I find good deal, so this one could be good and true! Good luck man hope to hear you join the lgt community with one.

So you are buying this car from an independent dealer, correct? If so you may have some sort of warranty coverage from your state. Im not entirely sure how that works out with buying from ID's from ebay.

Whatever happens best of luck buddy, i'm sure she will last a long time, and at that price you can afford to put a bit into her if needs be.

My list of inspection tools

Spark plug wrench

Screw driver to drop the down tube

Compression Gauge, should be 150lbs and hold

Antennae mirror

Flashlight

OBDII reader

Tire Gauge

Rag

OIL condition

Coolant condition

Trans fluid condition

brake fluid condition

Suspension tests

Micrometer for alternator

Matt. yes that is an independent dealer, but I've always believed that any additional warranty ( paid for by the customer ) is a sucker bet. I know, I know the stories of extended warranties and such saving a big repair, but in my experience, been a waste of $$.

Matt. yes that is an independent dealer, but I've always believed that any additional warranty ( paid for by the customer ) is a sucker bet. I know, I know the stories of extended warranties and such saving a big repair, but in my experience, been a waste of $$.

I agree, the extended ones are worthless, but, for instance in MA, if you buy a car from an independent dealer, within a month you are pretty much covered for major defects under the lemon law. So if you did find anything major within that month you could at least take it back and they would have 3 attempts to fix it.

Buying from and individual you have no coverage whatsoever.

So hopefully, depending on your state, you should get that month barrier. I bought an RSX a few years ago and had some VTEC valve trouble, hence I researched into it quite a bit. I also had the extended warranty thrown in, which was pretty worthless - $500 deductible and only covered $50 an hour labor!

Now that you mention it, it looks like the rear doors are ajar. And then you have the JC Whitney door edge trim.. I will be looking very closely for repairs. could have been rear ended, and they only had to replace the bumper skin, but hit hard enough to mini crumple the box. Thanks for heads up.

Dibs on the sweet seatbelt covers. MOMO wheel is stock I believe. Weird floor mats, and I think the doors only look off due to the stupid plastic/rubber "protective" strip that dealerships put on as a gimmick.

Looks clean. If it was non 5EAT, i'd be a bit more jealous.

Good deal.

Picked it up yesterday. couldnt find dirt anywhere. It was beyond detailed. Previous owner kept reciepts showing periodic maintenance, including a new turbo from the dealer at 103k and a new intake manifold at 163k(?). Did find some rust on the drivers door water channel. Couldnt find bodywork anywhere. The passenger rear door had been tweaked somehow, but without evidence. The qtr panel strike plate had screwdriver evidence. I followed the GF on I 95 the rear looked much bouncier then all the other cars. When I drove it, the turbo lagged the first time, but the second time, no lag(?) Brakes pulsated under emergency stop. The previous owner was using Mobil 1 5w 30. There is a K+N sticker in the engine compartment, and it has newish Contintental Z rated tires. Other then that, I'm in disbelief that it is in such great condition. I have time later to look at compression, boost etc. And will post pictures. GF is all smiles.

Get that oil out of there Just about any other mobil 1 is fine, just not the 5w-30.

Most guy's here like Shell Rotella t6 5w-40

Pick up a K&N filter cleaning kit from the auto parts store and wash and lightly oil the filter.

I've had the same Parrin panel filter in my wagon since Aug 04.

Good Luck with it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived