LegacyGT.com

For those of you with a 6MT swap...

RallyMachine

Was the 6 speed swap worth it for you? Any regrets or things you would do differently? How many miles were on the swap you put on your car? Any problems you have encountered with it so far?

Unfortunately I have a bearing going out in my front or center differential and am seriously considering a 6MT swap... It's going to be ~$1000 plus parts to fix my 5 speed :spin:

Obviously the swap would be a big expense so I wanted to get the opinions of the people who have already done one in order to help my decision. Thanks in advance!

I was thinking more about better power capacity than a built 5 speed, locking front, center and rear diffs and better gear ratios. It seems like a better choice than building the 5 but I'm not sure if I will utilize all of it's capabilities to make it worth it...

I bought an 08 Spec B 6 speed when my 5 speed snout got chewed off by the TOB. At that point I was looking at either buying a replacement 5 speed or upgrade to a 6 speed. I have never ever had any regrets about going with a 6 speed. The Spec B gear ratios are awesome. In 6th gear, I am at 2600 rpm at 70 mph. I immediately saw a 2mpg increase on the the highway. 1st - 5th seem very evenly spaced. the STI 6 speed is nice as well, although you lose the taller 6th gear, depending on the year.

I realize that the Spec B tranny is not on par with the STI 6 speeds because of the differentials, but it is very quiet and smooth. I chose to replace my rear diff with a WRX 3.54 R160 so that I could retain my rear axles which were fine and still are. I purchased the transmission from an auto dismantler that had just recieved a wrecked spec B. I bought the Transmission, shifter linkage, drive-shaft, slave cylinder, and clutch in one package. I believe the bill was around $4000 for everything including installation.

How many miles were on your swap and how many have you put on it? I guess I'm just worried about any potential problems that might arise by swapping in a transmission from a wrecked car...

I had a concern about that as well. The car was wrecked in the rear, so I was not too worried. The transmission had 38,000 miles on it when I bought it. I have put another 30,000 on. I have used Extra S from the beginning. I added an CM FX 300 clutch about 15,000 miles ago.

Also, for the used ones, is there any way to tell a good one from a bad or abused one before you put it in the car?

I've been wondering this as well. I've seen some very clean high mileage transmissions, but have also seen some low mileage ones that look like crap...

Bought the 05 STi 6MT with 32k. I put another 145k on it, with no issues. My swap was under $6k. My 6th gear is 3100@75MPH.

So that is about what the 5 speed does, right? Is that a USDM or JDM trans? Where did you source yours from?

USDM, from Frank, at Millenium Auto, phone # 586-615-7455

IIRC, 05LGT 5MT, 5th is 0.75. 05 STi 6MT, 6th is 0.78.

05 STi 6MT, 1st ,2nd & 3rd are shorter then 1st-3nd of 05LGT 5MT. But 4th, 5th & 6th are taller the 3nd-5th of 05LGT 5MT.

Closer the gears, the more power the MT can handle. Because it would take less torque (power) to move the car. Reducing the load & stress on the MT.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

IIRC, 05LGT 5MT, 5th is 0.75. 05 STi 6MT, 6th is 0.78.

Don't forget the rear diff - for 05 LGTs with the 4.11 rear, the 6MT's 6th gear is actually slightly taller overall than the LGT 5th. I'd love the even taller Spec B 5&6th gears, but it's not worth $1k to install into my 08 6MT (that's expensive enough).

Kyle "BlackHole"

• 4 weeks later...

The 6th gear in all subaru 6 speeds save the spec b is shorter than the legacy's 5th gear The best thing to do IMHO is sti 6 speed with spec b 5th and 6th gear dropped into it.

1-4 same between sti (later model)and spec b. The spec B has the tallest top gear followed by legacy's 5th gear.

• 3 months later...
The 6th gear in all subaru 6 speeds save the spec b is shorter than the legacy's 5th gear The best thing to do IMHO is sti 6 speed with spec b 5th and 6th gear dropped into it.

1-4 same between sti (later model)and spec b. The spec B has the tallest top gear followed by legacy's 5th gear.

I think the 08+ STI is slightly taller in 6th gear than the LGT 5th.

Archived