LegacyGT.com

Subaru Advanced Tourer Concept - Preview of the Next Generation Legacy!!

oddseth

Allright, guys, Subaru announced several exciting concepts and unveilings at the upcoming Tokyo Auto Show next month and among them is the new Advanced Tourer Concept. This concept is most likely a preview of the technology and design for the next generation legacy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/07/subaru-advanced-tourer-concept-to-bow-in-tokyo/

http://www.topgear.com/uk/assets/cms/9bc52324-a713-4bc6-b4ce-f7d4714e52be/Large%20Image.png?p=111107_02:44

I love the new design as a wagon with its muscular wheel arches and stance, 6-point grill, and attractive and sensible rear end. I hope the bold design language translates to the production version unlike the Impreza Concept, which was really great but lead to a bland and very watered down version in the 2012 Impreza. This concept looks very upscale and masculine and as long as it is not a barge, might be a great replacement for my 2008 Spec.B.

Looks like it will be powered by a 1.6L H-4 turbo coupled to an electric motor and a CVT. Engineers have said that this combination of small turbo-4 and electric motor can be tuned to rival the 260 hp of the current Legacy GT. I am hoping that they take the 2.0L DI H-4 from the BRZ coupe and throw a turbo on it for likely more than 300hp (and proper mechanically shifted 6-speed) and a torque curve flatter than Kate Hudson's chest! What do you guys think?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get rid of the front fender flare thing and Id be fine with the car.

Looks better than the 5th gen, maybe I can consider getting this car when it comes out or the BRZ.

BRX or this? They are two very different approaches to transportation.:)

But either way, sign me up for something like this from Subaru if they come out with it in the next few years. A full sized but sporty looking AWD wagon. I'll keep passing on an Outback if thats all they are offering in a large passenger 'car'.

Most likely the over exaggerated wheel arches will not make it into production just because the manufacturing process of stamping a body panel with that much curvature would be too expensive to mass produce. I do really like them, as well as the blunt nose. And the car has a very cohesive look - the front, side profile, and rear all seem to work together really well.

Stop making the C and D pillars larger and larger. ;D Subaru should NOT copy the Venza design. There's a reason why utility > style. Less blind spots please.

The C and D pillars widened is to improve roof strenght. I'd rather take a wide C pillar than a wide A pillar.

453747.png

The C and D pillars widened is to improve roof strenght. I'd rather take a wide C pillar than a wide A pillar.

Honestly they should have kept the rear visibility up and found other ways to strengthen the roof if that's the case. Strengthen the roof by decreasing rear visibility saves you when the rear visibility was the cause of requiring more roof strength. Following that logic, there would be no need to strengthen the roof (but there always is for roll overs from other different reasons) if the rear visibility was there to begin with anyways. Lol, a silly cycle.

Honestly they should have kept the rear visibility up and found other ways to strengthen the roof if that's the case. Strengthen the roof by decreasing rear visibility saves you when the rear visibility was the cause of requiring more roof strength. Following that logic, there would be no need to strengthen the roof (but there always is for roll overs from other different reasons) if the rear visibility was there to begin with anyways. Lol, a silly cycle.

It's actually not that bad - I think that what's worse is the lower edge of the rear gate - that has a lot more impact on the rear visibility. No problems to use the mirrors otherwise. I have more problems with the rounded shape of the rear end of the car, no good fix-point when backing up against another car doing parallel parking or against a wall.

As for the strengthening - also think about crashing into a big animal - as this demonstration video shows:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYkheZfjEUk]Moose crash test 45mph - YouTube[/ame]

If the roof folds too much then it's really bad. At least the passengers do have a better chance then.

453747.png

Archived