LegacyGT.com

91 legacy new time belt, cranks no start

1991 legacy L 2.2 automantic non turbo 200k miles.

Relaced broken timing belt, cranks wont start, has whiteish good spark on all 4 plugs, cam & crank marks dead on, sprayed starter fluid into throttle body starts runs great for a few seconds then dies, did bypass on fuel relay, The fuel pump works it trickles/pushes fuel out the "out" stem of a 1 month old new fuel filter, replaced fuel filter last month was dirty as mud upon dumping it out after removal (Really dirty). Injectors are recieving pulse's. Just one trouble code- 22 knock sensor- Master mechanic of imports informed me "this would not create a no start". Tried a new fuel pump relay switch no fuel out of "out" stem on fuel filter with key on, but when i did a bypass with a paper clip where the fuel relay switch plugs in i got the fuel trickle stream exiting the fuel filter as described without cranking the engine, just inserting the paper clip bypass gets the fuel flowing without even cranking the engine. I can hear the fuel pump humming away while doing paper clip bypass. I rechecked my timing marks and the belt ,cam & crank marks still line up perfect after cranking over the engine. Im stumped Help !!

has good spark on all 4 plugs, cam and crank sensors maf all check out and plugged in runs excellent while running bypass of fuel relay, I run fuel relay bypass for only a few seconds don't want to burn out fuel pump, It does start and run fine after bypass until that little bit of fuel burns off. I installed a new fuel pump relay still no change. So Im going to put the covers back on get her put back together and tow it down to the local import shop so they can diagnose the fuel injection system with a computer and pin point which circiut/switch in the fuel injection system is at fault, Im just pissin in the wind at this point done all I can as a back yard mechanic.

No need to take your leggy to the mechanic to have them test the fuel injection system. Use your trusty multimeter to check your injectors and coil pack. I posted the FSM procedure here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-member-former-lurker-looking-help-198824.html

Your fuel pump may be bad.

Check out this timing belt diagram. Is this how you lined everything up? Did you go by the Alignment mark or the Piston position mark?

timingbeltdiagram.gif.e954bb5ba61685da69a717a31f3046c0.gif

Hello;

Recheck the timing, here is a link, http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/Timing%20Belt.htm . The new belt I received was already marked, remember the center mark is considered zero. I was having fuel pump problems and tore apart this evening. Turned out the strainer was plugged solid. Everything else was in beautiful shape. No gas, no start. Hope this helps, Steven.

UPDATE : the ECU was damaged when timing belt broke, My import mechanic has rewired an override of the ECU TO RUN FUEL TO THE ENGINE. My 91 subaru run fine now, has nothing to do with the way I installed the new timing belt ( did it right), So long story short ECU ARE NO LONGER MANUFACTURED, OTHER OPTION IS TO BUY ONE FROM A WRECKING YARD, but thats a gamble because you don't know for sure it is a 100% good, ECU'S can be damaged and still run other functions of a car when a timing belt breaks. Glad it's back up and running !!! My import mechanic is brilliant he has done this rewire before and has not had any comebacks on this type of problem. Thank you all for your input , hope this helps others diagnose their 1991 subaru legacy problems.

Archived