LegacyGT.com

Warranty question ('08 LGT)

I know most of you are likely past your warranty, but hoping you can chime in with your experiences.

I have an '08 with 5EAT and have the hard shift issue between 2nd and 3rd gears. The car has 45k miles on it. TSB # 11-90-08 addresses this issue with a TCM reprogram and there are a couple of threads here on it. I have an appt. next week with the stealership. They said it will cost $139 just to have the car looked at by them and if the issue is covered under the powertrain warranty then it shouldn't cost me anything. I don't have the details on the Subaru warranty, but the brief explanation on subaru.com does state the 60k mi warranty does cover the transmission control unit.

Should I expect that a TCM reprogram to fix the hard shift issue that is published in the TSB would be covered under warranty? How do I approach this with the service department if they give me a hassle?

I also have had hard or rough shifting occasionally in my 2.5 NA subie. Has been this way for last 30k miles. With a little under 90k on the clock now.

I have had the software updated and it did not help. The dealer changed the fluid a few times without any improvement. I am going to try lubegard red in the tranny at next fluid change. I called SOA and they could not endorse the product but it is used by plenty of OEM manufactures. The stealership said it would not effect the warranty if added although I am now out of warranty. Look up lubegard on google it is known to reduce tranny temps and smooth them out.

Good luck though I do hope the software fixes it but I wanted to give you my info just as a FYI.

I had a similar situation. Bought an 08 LGT 5EAT with 60k miles. Hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd. After 1.5k miles, the car stalled while slowing down at a stop sign. Car worked fine the next day but I still took it to the Subaru dealership to get it looked at. Car threw a code while I drove to the dealership. Something about low line pressures and faulty torque converter. They said it would be 125 to get it looked at but that would be covered if it is a valid warranty claim. Glad I bought her CPO so my powertrain warranty covered the repair.

Archived