LegacyGT.com

does anyone else have these goofy things happen to their 2nd gens?

Ok, there are 3 distinctive things my wagon does that I think are just really really weird.

1. When I turn off my car this strange like unwind/clicking sound happens for like 3/4 of a second, coming from the center dash area near the double din.

2. When I use my squirters on the windsheild and I have static on my radio, the static assimilates and kinda goes with the sound of the squirter motors. Like it almost sounds like my squirts are being amplified thru the radio, I shit you not.

3. My personal favorite. At a red light/stop sign with the heat all the way up and the blower motor on 3 or 4, when I let off the brake the blower speed increases ever so slightly, and on the contrary when you depress the brake the motor slows down.

So, does ANYONE know what the hell is going on? hahaha

1. Not sure.

2. This is a result of electrical interference, which itself is a result of unshielded wires. There is likely a wire which provides current to the washer motors which runs near the head unit, or the wires coming out of it. This is causing interference when you run the wipers which manifests itself as a faint whine.

3. The brakes/boosters draw a LOT of power. When you release the brake pedal, you take a huge electrical load off of the car, freeing up a bit more current for other things, such as your blower motor. When you depress the pedal, you draw power away.

Think about how the lights dim in your house when you run your vacuum cleaner.

I figured it was something that had to do with the draw of power, but wasn't sure.

I guess it explains the fact that my buddies gutted miata goes into "vtec mode" when we hit the a/c button. It makes the fans start going to get ready for vtec. Hahahaha

# 1 sounds like the the HVAC unit servo motor returning the system to its home/static postion.

Recommend you do the grounding mod, as everything in #2 and #3 are ground-related.

And your car will run better and your transmission (if 4EAT) will shift better - both will be smoother.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

you can use a multi meter to test if your battery is going bad, If not start the car and see what your voltage is at idle. If it's below 13.5 you have a draining ground or a failing alternator.

Grounding mod will always be the cheapest and even if you have to replace the alternator is a good thing to have. look into the Big 3 upgrade as this upgrades your grounds as well as the charge wire from the alternator and just lets everything flow smoother.

I made a big three grounding block at work that I mounted on the driver side frame rail...sorry no pics, but the block itself is machined from billet aluminum and I bought amplifier power wire from an audio store.

The engine block and transmission ground are into one slot on the block, the alternator and intake are to one slot and starter to heads on the other slot. Its worked great on my electrical system and shifting is crisper, lights don't dim so much at stop with foot on brake pedal. Pretty happy with way it came out, I used transparent red wires because I have the msd coil and my wires are loomed up in red

Archived