LegacyGT.com

Looking For Recommendations For An Auto School In Or Around Boston

freeskierpj

Hey everybody,

So I've always been interested in cars ever since I was a little kid. Partly because of my dad being somewhat of a self taught mechanic and partly just because I found myself fascinated by them but I never had the father son bonding experience over working on a car. Because of this I really don't know much about cars, engines, transmissions and the mechanics behind all of it. I mean I don't even know how to do an oil change (I would be able to if I looked it up and had some instructions but I wouldn't be able to change it without some instructions).

I'm 21 years old and I dropped out of college in 2010 because sitting in class all day learning calculus and American Literature just doesn't catch my attention and I wasn't able to make it work so now I'm looking for a career. I'm looking for something hands on and I came to the conclusion over the past couple weeks, with some convincing that I can do it from my fiance, that I really want to get my schooling learning about cars and how they work and how to work on them, mainly Subarus but I'm interested in other foreign car companies as well. I don't particularly want to be just a general mechanic although I am assuming that I would have to spend time as a mechanic in order to work towards this goal/dream of mine. My goal/dream would be to end up doing something like Bren from Bren Tuning does, whether I end up working for a tuning/aftermarket shop like his or end up having my own shop or working for a shop and then moving on to have my own shop that offers similar services as Bren's does. I want to learn to be able to install aftermarket parts, work on engines, do tuning both on a dyno as well as on the road and things like that.

That being said I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as far as what track I should take in order work towards my goal? I would also like some suggestions as to some specific schools that are really good around the Boston area that would help me make my dream/goal a reality. I live in Lynn so the closer to Lynn the better but I don't mind commuting too much. I just want to know where to start, what steps I will need to take to work towards what I want to do and I would really appreciate some advice from people on the forums.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this post,

~freeskierpj~

A friend of mine went to (uti) or something like that and it was good for him. He is a certified porcshe tech and works at a big time dealer working on crazy cars all the time. Granted like anything you make the big time depending on how bad u want it.

Btw bren just tunes vehicles he doesnt work on them or have a "shop". What he does is completely different from what a general mechanic does, however a good background in the mechanics of a car greatly help get to that level. As kevin garnet once said "anythig is possible!!!!!"

Robitrice I didn't know that I figured that with this page:

http://www.brentuning.com/performanceparts.html

that he or somebody that worked there could do installation of the parts and that he would do the tuning after they had been installed...

As for the school, right now I'm planning on going to the BFIT here's the link to the program:

http://www.bfit.edu/Academics/Departments/Automotive-Technology/default.aspx

I'd be going for the Associates in Automotive Technology (without the specialization in alternate fuel vehicles) and going from there but I'm really excited about it! Thanks for the help you guys I really appreciate it.

• I Donated Too

This is one of the approved installers/pre-tune inspections for Bren and doesn't come much more highly recommended either both by Robitrice, myself and many others... this is who you should aspire to be like!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-vendor-here-o-motive-auto-works-188889.html

Thanks sigma! I honestly don't yet know whether I want to take the route of working on installation and repairs or working on tuning and engine management so I don't know if I want to aspire to be like him or not. Thanks though for giving me someone to aspire to be like if that is the route that I want to take. I figure however, that for either of those routes I would want to be well versed in basic automotive anatomy and then after getting my degree once I am actually working I would figure out what I would want to specialize in and from there I would focus on doing work in the field of that specialization.

Thanks for the help everybody my post wasn't so well recieved over at NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2416903

Sigma - will do I'm going to PM him now

Robitrice - that's something that goes a long way...being talked to like you're just a dollar sign makes you feel like you're just being used but being treated like a human being makes you want to come back and give continued business to that shop...

So as far as BFIT has anyone heard about whether or not it's a good school?

A good frien of mine is currently enrolled there- apparently there are a lot of morons/students but the faculty is full of seasoned individuals and the price is right too- majority of your knowledge is going to be built on getting into a shop and working. Like any trade you'll figure out how to make it work for you and use the preliminary knowledge as a spring board to get to where you need to be. Start talking to people in the industry, go from there-

good that you want to learn the trade. Ive been there. But being a dealership tech sucks big balls. Working flat rate can be brutal. Just know what you are getting in to. you def want to get in to specialty shops or racing teams.

Archived