LegacyGT.com

Knocking (not engine knocking) sound when hard shifting.

Jordan

So I have had this issue for a while and it doesnt seem to be detrimental to anything however it sounds so bad. When aggresiveley accelerating there is a hard clunking noise, I figure with stg2, and a stg1 clutch there is alot more torque that may be moving something excessivley idk, Should i get it checked out or what.

• 3 weeks later...
I have the same issue but mine is alittle worse. I have stage2 and a heavy duty clutch/catless exhaust and when i shift aggresivly at all my tranny moves and maybe even the motor now. the reason for this is the bushings being gel filled and for luxury not power. because of this now my exhaust touches the heat shield for the exhaust in the back of the car si it sounds like my car is falling apart lol. I would start looking there.

In case it's mounts...I installed STI engine mounts and Groupe N MT mount...nice improvement with virtually no increase in vibrations. I didn't install an upgraded pitch stop as it seems that can increase vibrations a lot.

I get that nice thud when shifting and accelerating with authority :)

This is with the 5speed STi Tranny mount. I wast thinking of getting some other driveline bushings but I don't think it's a big deal since I almost never romp though the gears like that. I'm an agressive granny shifter.

LWFL=Lightweight flywheel. When doing the ACT HD clutch a lot of people go with the 06 wrx LWFL. When I got the STI pitch rod and compared it to the stocker I was pissed that it was the same thing only with STI paint on it. But after reading some posts. I guess they use the same mold, but use different materials to make it harder. I guess that it does, because I haven't had any issues with banging.

I'll ugrade tranny and engine mounts when I notice more movement out of the engine.

I get this exact same noise. So it's not gears bursting, eh? I figured it was just movement as the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd when done hard, fast and right (no engine slowdown with a nosedive followed by an axle squat in between gears like a granny) It gives me a pop - or one hammer bang, if you will.

• 1 month later...
i hear that i was told thats how out systems sounds,i shift hard and get that between first and second, pretty much sounds like a thump but it pulls, maybe we are gassing it to soon on shifts and load it up so much, i belive i asked this two years back to my dealer and said it was ok. But thats what im taking out of it. Just got a turbo upgrade i will see if i get any of that tomorrow with the new setup.

• 3 years later...
Having same issue during hard shifts/disengagements.

Does your shifter move around a lot ?

Try the STI tranny mount. I put one in my wagon back in Aug 04. Tightened up the shifter alot and limited alot of drivetrain movement.

$75. at the dealer

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived