LegacyGT.com

MS-8 Users, Questions for you. (long post)

Neltech

Ok I just picked up an MS-8 that's going into my 05 LGT with the factory sub.

I'm installing 2 sets of pioneer TS-D1720c components, the woofers will go in the door in their respectable places but I'm going to have all 4 tweeters mounted on the dash in the corners facing the driver. Each pair of tweets will be wired in series as they need barely any power.

So the components leave me with 2 channels left over. I was thinking of powering the factory sub off of one and then have the other sending a low level to my subwoofer amp (either a 600wrms pioneer amp or an mrp-1000 1000wrms) pushing 2 Boston Acoustics 12"s

Questions:

Does anyone have a setup similar to this?

Has anyone used the ms8 to power the subwoofer? Will it even be necessary?

Will the MS-8 Screen mount in the cubby above the clock? (I literally just bought it and havn't had time to even get out to my car yet)

If the MS-8 isn't enough power to drive the component woofers I do have a Kicker IX 4 channel amp laying around I can use as well. I do like the feel of that little subwoofer under the seat. I do also have the woofers from an alpine type R component set and the woofers from an Infinity Kappa component set. maybe use those under the seat for some front stage bass/midbass?

I have already Dynamatted the 2 front doors and have a bunch more to do the trunk and an other problematic areas.

Your post wasn't *that* long. :)

Sorry I don't have an experience with the MS-8 drop-in unit for factory systems, but...

I have already Dynamatted the 2 front doors and have a bunch more to do the trunk and an other problematic areas.

I hope you plan to dynamat the back of your license plate too.

And even if you don't plan on driving speakers in the rear doors, I'd at least do a quick pass of some deadening on them anyways. If you really want to go insane, you can dyanmat the cabin's floor and roof, but that's way too much work for my tastes. ;) At least you got the front doors and plan to do the trunk.

I've got a boatload of Dynamat laying around so that's not a problem. I'm an MECP Master certified installer, none of this is hard for me, just looking for what has worked and what hasn't to try and shave some time from testing this and that.

2 sets of tweet is not overkill - its just horrible for imaging.

Buy 1 set of comps with the money u planned on using for the 2 sets. Bi-amp them.

Get an aftermarket setup.

An 8" Alpine type R will make you plenty happy if you planned on keeping the factory sub in the first place (its 100000x better at least).

Here is a link to my build log (almost complete) if you are curious...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/126744-2005-subaru-outback-xt-limited-wagon.html

I have all of the gear already.

Right now temporarily I have it in 5 channel mode, front components, rear (stock), and sub (only running 1 boston G212) and the imaging is miles above what it was without the ms8.

Can you explain how the imaging would be worse with the 2 sets? each pair will be right next to each other on the same plane focused at the same area.

how do you plan on installing (2) 6.5" drivers in the doors?

Let me correct my initial statement.

Without a very calculated and clean/detail oriented install, you will end up with sub-par imaging.

Can you not return the gear?

bought the gear long ago. Clean and detailed install is what I do as it is what I do for a living.

There is only one woofer going into each door, not both sets of woofers in the front doors.

There will be nothing in the kicks. Each door will have a 6.5" woofer (from the component set) in its original factory provision. No tweeters will be mounted in the rear doors or the front doors, there will be 2 tweets in a pod on the left corner on the dash, and the other 2 will be the same on the right corner. That is if when I get them hooked up and dialed in with the ms8 they sound better than how its run right now. just 1 set of components in the front door and the tweeters in the factory provisions.

I've got a boatload of Dynamat laying around so that's not a problem. I'm an MECP Master certified installer, none of this is hard for me, just looking for what has worked and what hasn't to try and shave some time from testing this and that.

:lol: must of been ages ago...car audio has not changed much. Placement and tuning is crucial, at the end of the day what sounds good to your ears is all that matters.

uh, no, I'm currently master cert and still install full time

thanks for laughing at me though.

Well your question was very basic. So basic that one would think, a person who has spent years installing speakers should know a thing or 2 about imaging, and should have an idea of what type of problems to expect when running that type of setup..but blah blah blah...its just my opinion..

On top of that your using a unit that was designed to help fine tune and compensate for poor speaker placement such as that lmao...Idk i usually like to research stuff before i buy it..but yo, your the master:lol:

Archived