LegacyGT.com

Blown turbo 178k, sell or keep after repair?

Coming back from a 450 mile trip for work, 5 miles from my house cruising at ~70 mph, start hearing a whirling gushing noise. Get it home then eventually to the Subaru shop close to me, yea it's a dealer, but they have comparable prices and their service is top notch, Quality Subaru in Wallingford for anyone in CT.

Diagnosis: turbo gone, they think engine is ok. Being my only car, I told them to go ahead with a new turbo, engine flush, oil line filter(banjo), etc. I know I could have got a BNR 16g, new gaskets, etc. for a quarter of their price but they will warranty the work and flush the block. Plus I don't have time or all the equip to do this. Anyways..

The car has 178k on it, otherwise very healthy. Considering my options of keeping the car and hoping the engine holds up or selling it off after its fixed. I would actually like to keep the car because I like this car and having awd with decent gas mileage. Is a replaced turbo a turnoff or plus for resale on these cars? Ideas?

"This is an adventure."

I think the issue w/ resale will be the high milage

You still have the stock catted UP on the car?

Did they drop the pan and check the oil pickup tube too?

sorry about your misfortune man, I'd keep it

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

They didn't drop the pan because it would be an extra 300 bucks and they said they only saw a very tiny amount in the oil and they did a magnetic dipstick which came out with almost nothing.

The car has the stock UP. However I have a STI UP waiting in my basement. BUT, the issue is I don't know if a Subaru dealer will install that UP because it's essentially taking a working cat out of the car, which is illegal I think.

"This is an adventure."

Keep it.

Get the cat out of the up pipe, and get the car tuned

If that dip stick came out clean you should be ok.

I think I would install a magnetic oil drain plug too.

Did they show you the old turbo ?

How much shaft play ?

You may want to think about oil cooler.

I think you saw mine, "142,000 on OEM turbo" thread with the video of the shaft play.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

If you have a weekend day, my Tuner could help you out, he's in Vernon 1/8 mile off exit 65 on rt84. He's great with his lap top and street tuning.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Max,

Do you think a dealer would install an STI UP?

Will they give me back the old turbo to sell/upgrade?

I'm thinking when I get the car back, I may have to do the UP, gut the cat in DP, and tune. Just seems like such a waste after they had all that ripped apart. Plus... new gaskets, ugh!

"This is an adventure."

Call the dealer and ask them.

Seeing that the 07+ have a catless up pipe, hopefully it won't be a issue for them.

You'll need to get the 2.2k ohm resistor and tell them to leave the egt probe out.

I'm sure they have heard about all this....?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The good part is 5 miles from your house :)

Replace the turbo drive on.

A person buying a 178k mile car could care less if turbo replaced or not(no effect on value). It is just another component and one expects it to work when buying.

145k on our OEM turbo. Hoping for 200K on dino 4k OCI since new.

178K miles on stock turbo?? Quick someone ask him what oil he used!!!!

:lol::lol::lol: A starting of another oil thread:spin::rolleyes:;):cool:

From other thread;

Want your turbo to last as long as your motor. In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use whatever oil & filter that will protect for the OCI's your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 2 weeks later...

Archived