LegacyGT.com

5EAT Wagon Questions...talk me into it

dpspeed

So, I've had two Miatas and a 328i E36 BMW - all 5 speeds. I currently have a Mustang Cobra track car (1996). I'm looking to replace the E36 soon. I work out of the car and it seems as if I'm having to 'haul' more stuff, plus we just had our first child and not having the Latch system is kind of a PITA.

Since there are less than 1500 manual wagons, I'm not really optimistic that I will find one at the right price - wholesale, my dad is a dealer and I was hoping to find one at auction or at another dealer's lot.

SO...I'd like to know that I'm going to like having an automatic. The LGT has a ton of features I want: wagon-fold flat seats, turbo, AWD, BOXER!, dual moonroof, dual zone climate, heated seats, latch system...

I'm just not sure that I will like the 5EAT. I keep telling myself that it is a DD. I drove one and liked it okay, but it just wasn't as sweet as my buddies 5 speed sedan. I played with the sport mode, it was actually pretty impressed. It was as responsive as my aunt's 335i.

How does the valve body mod help? Is it something you have to pull the transmission to do?

I'm conflicted and imagine others have 'settled' for a 5EAT instead of a manual.

Thanks!

I've "settled" for my 5EAT, I miss MT like crazy though and want to switch very soon. there is a very detailed description on here of how to take out and install the VB upgrade. You sound mechanically competent so it shouldn't be to much of an issue
torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

The ClimberD VB mod literally makes it an entirely new car to drive. The shifts are very responsive and firm, as well as shorter. The 5eat will also hold more power with the VB mod.

It's pretty easy to install. Drop the trans pan, let all the fluid drain, unbolt the old VB, bolt in the new. Be very CLEAN. Hook up the electrical connections, refill with fluid, done.

I'm a huge fan of manual cars but I got the 5eat because I needed a car at the time, and it was available at the right price. You'd be surprised how nicely the 5eat will spool up a larger turbo on the street. The torque converter has a pretty high stall speed as it is, so although you can't really launch like a 5MT (at least I never did) the 5eat feels faster a lot of times from a roll. Basically, if you're at 3K for example with a turbo that doesn't hit until 4K, and you go WOT with the manual, you gotta wait to rev from 3->4K as you have a direct mechanical connection to the motor. In the same situation with the 5eat, as soon as you go WOT the TC would unlock and you would go from 3K->3.5K almost instantly, then you would only wait for that additional 500rpm's.

Additionally, the AWD systems are different. The MT is a 50/50 split while the AT is 40/60 and will bias the power further than that when needed. The difference I would notice is that the MT would be a little quicker in tight technical twisties, but on longer sweepers and booters the 5eat with a bigger turbo feels damn quick, it really smokes through those more open sections.

They're completely different animals, and now that I no longer have the OBXT I'm LOVING the 6MT in the 'B, but to be honest I still miss the 5eat w/ VB in certain situations.

If you end up getting a 5eat, and are a performance oriented driver, the VB is an absolute must.

Also just to get an idea, when I had the 5eat I drove in the manual mode 100% of the time. Literally. I would be in manual mode when putting it into R in the parking lot, it just became habit to shift every gear with it, and I really enjoyed it.

The ClimberD VB mod literally makes it an entirely new car to drive. The shifts are very responsive and firm, as well as shorter. The 5eat will also hold more power with the VB mod.

It's pretty easy to install. Drop the trans pan, let all the fluid drain, unbolt the old VB, bolt in the new. Be very CLEAN. Hook up the electrical connections, refill with fluid, done.

I'm a huge fan of manual cars but I got the 5eat because I needed a car at the time, and it was available at the right price. You'd be surprised how nicely the 5eat will spool up a larger turbo on the street. The torque converter has a pretty high stall speed as it is, so although you can't really launch like a 5MT (at least I never did) the 5eat feels faster a lot of times from a roll. Basically, if you're at 3K for example with a turbo that doesn't hit until 4K, and you go WOT with the manual, you gotta wait to rev from 3->4K as you have a direct mechanical connection to the motor. In the same situation with the 5eat, as soon as you go WOT the TC would unlock and you would go from 3K->3.5K almost instantly, then you would only wait for that additional 500rpm's.

Additionally, the AWD systems are different. The MT is a 50/50 split while the AT is 40/60 and will bias the power further than that when needed. The difference I would notice is that the MT would be a little quicker in tight technical twisties, but on longer sweepers and booters the 5eat with a bigger turbo feels damn quick, it really smokes through those more open sections.

If you end up getting a 5eat, and are a performance oriented driver, the VB is an absolute must.

Also just to get an idea, when I had the 5eat I drove in the manual mode 100% of the time. Literally. I would be in manual mode when putting it into R in the parking lot, it just became habit to shift every gear with it, and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the information. I would probably drive it around in manual mod all the time too - accept when cruising down the highway talking on the phone or in traffic. That is when it would be nice to have an auto.

How much is the VB mod? Where do you learn more about it? Is there a website?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-body-mods-giant-leaps-forward-160101.html

Check this out. Fellow forum member and excellent guy to work with. ~$500.

Depending on year you will have either steering wheel buttons/paddles to shift with so that helps when on the phone. Also just driving in Sport mode (fully auto but faster firmer shifts, higher revs, etc.) is pretty fun if you don't feel like shifting.

• Moderators

I settled for a 5eat for similar reasons to those above--needed a car, found a nice one that was a 5eat, and didn't have the extra premium that 5mts seem to command at the time.

Lately I've had the time to look for the right car, and I had a bit more saved up to pay for the manual. Found the right car, sold my 5eat last night, picking up a 5mt next week.

If you REALLY want a manual, and have the luxury of being able to take your time searching for the right car, then find a manual. There's nothing wrong with the 5EAT at all, but if you're dead set on a manual transmission it's never going to be that.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived