LegacyGT.com

Removing A pillar trim

I'm trying to wire in the mic for my stereo (for bluetooth phone) and I want to put it at the top of my a pillar and tuck the wire under the a pillar interior trim, route it behind the dash, and to the back of the stereo. Anyone know how to get the a pillar trim off and enough of the dash pulled back that I can run some wires behind it toward the center console?

1. Take off the rubber spine on the inside of the weather stripping

2. Get a interior panel popper or a wide flathead and pop out the (A) pillar piece via moulding trim clips, BE CAREFUL, the (A) pillar cover piece goes all the way to the (B) pillar cover piece and is underneath it, held in by a tab.

3. To get behind the dash, you'd need to disassemble the whole dash to take the cover off, or you'd need to pull the wind shield. Luckily you wont have to neither. Pop open the center defrost cover like you did the pillar cover. Run it in there and get a wooden shim/paint mixer and just press the wire below the dash all the way to the corner. It will be easy to do with the pillar cover off.

4. Wire in your mic as you desire and be sure to make sure it will clear the holes for the interior clips.

5. Assemble as you would, reverse of how it is taken apart.

6. A trick with the rubber spine if it doesn't want to stay on, grab a pair of small pliers and GENTLY squeeze the metal encapsulated (mouth thingy) shut and it will stay.

Good luck brother!

Thanks! That was very helpful. Got in there with a plastic trim removal tool, started at the top, and worked toward the defrost vent. I ended up routing the cable down the a pillar, down the side of the dash through a crack near the door jamb, and behind the knee bolster toward the stereo.

Nice write up, Sludge. I just routed my mic from the head unit under the unit and through the ashtray and up around the faceplate. Not ideal, so I might take the time to reroute into the pillar.

Thanks! I try to explain easy ways from mistakes I've made. Hopefully no one repeats them haha. And I guess its just a matter of how clean you want the job to look.

Archived