LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

I broke my 2nd gear syncro a few weeks back and since I was getting it rebuilt, i though id take the opportunity to get a front LSD installed to replace that craptastic open diff our cars come with. I dont know if any LGTs have done this yet, so this is a new thing that few have even though about.

Here is what i got.

http://www.rallispec.com/images_thumb/rst1903.jpg

http://www.rallispec.com/Layout/product_titles/title_rst1903.gifhttp://www.rallispec.com/Layout/spacer.gifRST-1903 Subaru Helical Front LSD

Recommended for street & track use. This torque biasing limited slip differential provides smooth, consistent, and quiet operation. Sealed maintenance free operation with no special lubrication requirements. Improves traction at the front wheels allowing the driver to get on the power as early as possible out of a corner. Install kit includes stub axle set making it a direct swap for all early Subaru 5MT gearboxes.http://www.rallispec.com/Layout/spacer.gifhttp://www.rallispec.com/Layout/spacer.gif

This is a genuine subaru part so fitment should be flawless. This is JDM at its finest. Its a stock part in japan off a older 5spd STI i think.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Enjoy! That ought to get rid of the power on understeer.

What's the price of that puppy? And what's the installation cost? :eek:

thats the idea. For too long have I autoxed and then had to suffer through the cars inability to get out of tight corners under full power. And the improvements in rain and snow will be significant too.

the unit was $1K. im not sure how much it cost to install since my tech friend will be installing it during the trans rebuild for no aditional cost.

Enjoy! That ought to get rid of the power on understeer.

What's the price of that puppy? And what's the installation cost? :eek:

Should cost around the price of a regular gear swap to install. If you're replacing gears, it would be smart to drop in an LSD at the same time to save some money.

thats the idea. For too long have I autoxed and then had to suffer through the cars inability to get out of tight corners under full power. And the improvements in rain and snow will be significant too.

the unit was $1K. im not sure how much it cost to install since my tech friend will be installing it during the trans rebuild for no aditional cost.

I autocrossed my car stock (except for aftermarket wheels/tires) and then with my stage 2 and suspension mods and same wheels and tires. Stock meant lots of understeer exiting corners, but with my Swift springs and Cobb sways f/r, HUGE reduction in power on understeer since the car's nose didn't reach for the sky anymore on acceleration and sways stopped most of the adverse camber change. I'd say the suspension change got rid of 80% of the problem (and that was on the soft setting on the rear sway).

I am really curious about your feedback. I got my SpecB 6MT waiting for install and I have an opportunity to install helical LSD out of STI into it before I install it into the car.

I autocrossed my car stock (except for aftermarket wheels/tires) and then with my stage 2 and suspension mods and same wheels and tires. Stock meant lots of understeer exiting corners, but with my Swift springs and Cobb sways f/r, HUGE reduction in power on understeer since the car's nose didn't reach for the sky anymore on acceleration and sways stopped most of the adverse camber change. I'd say the suspension change got rid of 80% of the problem (and that was on the soft setting on the rear sway).

Understeer isnt my problem. Im running stiff coilovers with 25mm bars and just about every other suspendion mod you can think of along with r-comp tires. I get on the power VERY earily in corners and though i have little understeer if at all. my front inner tire spins all the power away when im on the gas and cornering hard. this diff will cure that without creating understeer like a clutch type diff would.

I am really curious about your feedback. I got my SpecB 6MT waiting for install and I have an opportunity to install helical LSD out of STI into it before I install it into the car.

you should do it regardless if you can. Ther is a reason why the STI is a level higher than all the other subaru models. its not the brakes or the DCCD or the stiff suspension or even the 6spd. its the front diff. the ability to have the front pull the car through a turn without spinning power away. There are reviews on nasioc.com wher people installed front diffs in wrx/ 2.5rs for autox and they say they can feel the front pull the car thoguh the turn with no power under steer.

Should cost around the price of a regular gear swap to install. If you're replacing gears, it would be smart to drop in an LSD at the same time to save some money.

exactly. I bet a diff install would be 600-1000 for labor. And if its as dramatic of a result as i think it is, its worth it.

the viscous units are sorta ok. they only work after the wheels begint to slip. helicals senses the slip before it happends and tranfser power before the wheel slips. also, you cant overwhelm helicals since there are no friction plates like in the viscous units. with this unit in my car i will have 3 LSDs which is more than enough for 99.9% of the time. I mey be beneficial to get a helical diff for the rear in place of the viscous unit, but the bag for you buck there is alot less since you already have a LSD there and are just replacing it with a better one. The cusco tarmac 35/65 diff is actually a biased open diff so its not so great for daily driving in sow or foul weather. They do make a helical center diff but its $$$$$. The best thing for a DD car is to have helicals all around. For drag/rally cars, then make a stronger viscous center diff, but it causes lots of understeer in tighter corners on tarmac.

Crap... I can't remember who but somone already dropped the STI HLSD into spec. B 6MT.

Archived