LegacyGT.com

Putting the Wagon on the Road

Hello All;

Recently bought a 1992 Legacy SW and have been in the process of turning this into a driver. First did the brakes, front tires and suspension/alignment. The next item on the list was the engine. An uneven idle and stalling was difficult to diagnose. New plugs were installed as a start. Fuel pump was pulled and a new filter (sock) was installed. The 171k pump was still in good shape, putting out 60psi with return line pinched. The IAC valve was pulled off and cleaned. A new water sensor was installed. Was running better but still had the uneven idle and stalling. I did a better job of cleaning the MAF sensor using alcohol and Q-tips. This seemed to be the big culprit of my problems. In the future the oil will be changed, new valve cover gaskets, and thinking of a new Bosch O2 sensor. The proper Bosch numbers are 13250 (ready fit)/15726 (universal). Other numbers to search for are SG286, 234-3083 (Denso), and 24614. Hope this little tale helps, Steven.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All;

Just an update on the wagon! My eratic idle and stalling returned to my dismay. After six hours of tearing out the electrical, ECU, fuse panel, relay bracket, and unhooking the wiring harness, I started to check out all of the relays. Turned out the main relay for engine management was eratic. Took the cover off and discovered that one of the leads for the relay magnet was laying on the terminal and not soldered. How this car ran for twenty one years is beyond me! A quick solder job and assembly put me back on the road. So be sure to tap those relays when testing, Steven.

Hello All;

Yesterday spent some time sanding and polishing the headlight covers. Started out with 600 grit, then 1500 grit, and used Blue Magic Restorer for the final buff. Kinda nice being able to see the beams. What is the deal with the three screws for adjusting the headlights? Most that I have adjusted just have two screws. Is the third for the Hi Beams? Thanks for any knowledge, Steven.

Hello All;

Did a bit more troubleshooting on my ongoing uneven idle and stalling. Checked the output voltage on the MAF sensor. I was well within the limits of .8-1.2 volts but noticed the voltage would vary after running awhile. Off to the Pull and Pay and scored a MAF out of a '96 legacy. Thinking I may have this solved but am going to check the output voltage on the O2 sensor for laughs, Steven.

Hello;

Yes on both. The car would run and completely crap out with the bad relay. The MAF sensor was the cause of the uneven idle after warm-up. The relays in these cars are robust, so I would check these as a last result. Trying to share my experiences with others, Steven.

Hello All;

Did my first 300 mile trip with the Legacy Wagon, and the used MAF sensor seems to be working fine! Also put the new valve cover gaskets in and checked out the O2 sensor. Discovered a oil leak and believe that it is leaking from the oil pump. Besides the leak will get around to fixing the rear muffler, the bottom is rotted away. Found that a SG-36 universal O2 sensor should work in the Subies. Steven.

Hello All;

Received my universal oxygen sensor (SG36) last night! It has 3 wires, 1 black and 2 white. I am thinking the black wire is the sensor output and the 2 white wires are the heater circuit. Will be putting this in the next couple of days and will report. For $12.00 it is worth a try, Steven.

Hello All;

Put on the second generation muffler I scrounged out of the pull and pay. The old rusty muffler weighed about 5-7 pounds more than the replacement. Took a quick spin and seems to have made a big difference. Next trip the hammer will be put down to blow out the converter junk. This was a bolt in fit, Steven.

Thanks for all your posts.... I've just acquired a 92 wagon and she's booked in for a cam belt tomorrow....its my first soobi and I love it. Not in your league mechanically but enjoying your posts immensely, just wanted to say thanks:)

rgds Donna

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hello Donna;

Thanks for the kind words. Be sure the cam seals and cam tower o-rings are replaced. I am going to pull my oil pump and reseal this, so I would have the mechanic do this. At least replace the outer crankshaft seal which is located on the oil pump. Good luck with the Subie, Steven.

Awsum thanks for the tips...I've asked them to do this, although, I'm not feeling any degree of confidence, how will I know they've done the job correctly and is there anything I should check before I drive the car away?

Hello Donna;

I forgot to add the water pump to the list!

Was on my list m8 :)

The only way to tell is drive it and check for oil and coolant leaks. If these guys run Subie's and work on them they should already be in the loop. Steven.

Allrighty will do and report back, thanx!

Thanx monkey and a great site it is:)

Just wish I'd found it b4 buying my wagon, she's only been mine for a week....

I don't wanna hijack Stevens thread but I fear the "cam belt replacement" was just that....there's certainly no reference to "other bits" on the invoice apart from the water pump...

I'm a bit upset tbh there's a squealy noise, I assume coming from one of the belts, I hope they haven't forgotten to do something....gonna sleep on it I think, see how things look in the morning:(

Hello All;

Was a pretty nice day here in Denver and decided to fix the loose gasket on my drivers door. Really sagging along the bottom and the hinge side. Some Pliobond and time made short work of this nagging probelm. Wanted to address this before the seal became torn from flopping around. Suprised that it is in good condition after all the years, Steven.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived