LegacyGT.com

To all that say powdercoating forged wheels are safe...

Claw

Buddy of mine bought an SSR from an online vendor, had them powdercoated it to match the other 3.

Today he did some time attack... this is why you don't PC forged wheels.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/gculham/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsef666b28.jpg

The one on the left used to be flat, not convex... "bent" the wheel in a way that pulled the entire barrel inwards & the spokes into the brake caliper...

Credit to Wally for the pic of GrantC's car.

Is it possible it was a bad wheel to begin with, and not the doing of the powdercoat? I mean powdercoating process cures it in the oven for like 15mins; some foods take longer to cook in the oven with the same temperature!

Also, depending on who did the work, and how the wheel was powder coated can make a difference. Too long or too high of a temperature can cause issues. If a powder coater doesn't know the different needs of handling a forged aluminum wheel - you should look elsewhere for the service.

I also don't think I would PC wheels for track duty. Problem is that you cannot inspect for hairline cracks etc as the finish may not crack when the wheel does. For DD purposes and occasional spirited driving it's unlikely you will put as much stress on them that would require frequent inspections.

He had the vendor (Vivid Racing) PC them according to SSR's specs and colours.. but he's got his doubts as to whether it was done properly or not.

Will see where this goes... he's lucky the wheel didn't crack and break up on him.

Archived